Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Meshuggah

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    [I]However, I probably enjoy Thorden's Sol Niger Within a bit more than any of the "regular" 'shugs.
    That’s an awesome album – very experimental and more fusion-y than Meshuggah. And, of course, out-of-print.

Man, you guys may as well listen to Slipknot.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Quote Originally Posted by at least 100 dead View Post
    I like it a lot, although those wicked-witch-on-acid vocals are an acquired taste.
    Indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    Man, you guys may as well listen to Slipknot.
    Why I oughtta!!

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Oh right, sorry. Bloody internet, not being able to hear intonation is a true problem
    No problem...I read back just now, it wasn't as clear in print as it was in my head!

So…the new album (The Violent Sleep of Reason) has been out for a few days now and it’s been on heavy rotation at chez 100deaf. IMO, most Meshuggah albums have at least one skip-it track, but not this one. Has anyone else heard it yet?
    "Dem Glücklichen legt auch der Hahn ein Ei."

Has anyone else heard it yet?
    I drifted away a couple albums ago. How've they evolved lately?

I totally admire this band, but the lead vocals wear me the fuck out...much quicker than when I first came into them. I want to get that album but I know I won't be able to withstand the vocal onslaught to truly appreciate what those guys are doing behind him

Quote Originally Posted by Spiral View Post
    I drifted away a couple albums ago. How've they evolved lately?
    IMO, they certainly have refined their approach. The new album was recorded live and packs a more organic, less clinical punch. Here’s one of the new songs, which is quite a beast:

"Dem Glücklichen legt auch der Hahn ein Ei."

Based on one listen of the new album: loving it. Very recognisably Messhuggah, but plenty of killer riffs and the songs really hang together well. I think the vocals are just right for this kind of music - I wouldn't want them any other way.

The transition between Stifled and Nostrum is very King Crimson like: a Fripp-style soundscape leading into a riff that sounds like like B'Boom and Thrak layered on top of each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Socrates View Post
    Based on one listen of the new album: loving it. Very recognisably Messhuggah, but plenty of killer riffs and the songs really hang together well. I think the vocals are just right for this kind of music - I wouldn't want them any other way.

The transition between Stifled and Nostrum is very King Crimson like: a Fripp-style soundscape leading into a riff that sounds like like B'Boom and Thrak layered on top of each other.
    i think MonstroCity is abysmally bad...but the rest of the album was pretty good...to me it works because there's actual melodies this time.

IMO, they certainly have refined their approach. The new album was recorded live and packs a more organic, less clinical punch.
    That's encouraging. It sounds like the kind of shift I would have wanted a while back. With how little listening time I've got these days, though, my patience for something new might still come down to how shitty the vocals are.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I've had enough of this band's mishegas. Gay kaken afen yam!

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    i never knew exactly how to spell that phrase, thanks...i think! i know it's along the lines of get out of here/go jump in the lake...but i was told its literal translation is "go take a shit in the ocean!" no/yes?

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Haruspex Carnage View Post
    i never knew exactly how to spell that phrase, thanks...i think! i know it's along the lines of get out of here/go jump in the lake...but i was told its literal translation is "go take a shit in the ocean!" no/yes?
    That's right - I had to let Google tell me the correct spelling.

I always assumed Meshuggah was sort of a misspelling of Meshugena, but I suppose I could be wrong! The Yiddish, BTW, isn't any kind of official spelling, as it's all transliteration.

That's right - I had to let Google tell me the correct spelling.

I always assumed Meshuggah was sort of a misspelling of Meshugena, but I suppose I could be wrong! The Yiddish, BTW, isn't any kind of official spelling, as it's all transliteration.
    No that's right, the Meshugena bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Valen View Post
    I'd been meaning to dip my toe into Meshuggah's stuff for months, and I finally jumped in last week and downloaded (legally) the following songs as a compilation based on their recent 25th anniversary shows:

1. Future Breed Machine (Destroy Erase Improve)
    2. obZen (obZen)
    3. The Hurt that Finds You First (Koloss)
    4. Do Not Look Down (Koloss)
    5. Cadaverous Mastication (Contradictions Collapse)
    6. Greed (Contradictions Collapse)
    7. Gods of Rapture (Bonus track on Contradictions Collapse)
    8. Neurotica (Chaosphere)
    9. New Millennium Cyanide Christ (Chaosphere)
    10. Stengah (Nothing re-recorded)
    11. Bleed (obZen)
    12. Demiurge (Koloss)
    13. Straws Pulled at Random (Nothing re-recorded)
    14. In Death - Is Life (Catch 33)
    15. In Death - Is Death (Catch 33)

Quite an interesting selection, chosen across all of their albums. I already had the original 'I' ep so I knew what I was letting myself in for, but even so, 15 tracks is bit exhausting to listen to all in one sitting. For me the tracks from Koloss stood out in terms of sound - bass and drums had more thump in them than on earlier albums, which could be a little thin in places. Worth exploring as a band if you like metal that is genuinely progressive and boundary breaking (in Meshuggah's case pounding the boundary into submission...
    That was exactly the same way I tried out the band - good call! After I persevered I really began to understand and appreciate them.

The new album is excellent and may be more accessible to new listeners than earlier albums. I have a review ready in my blog pipeline and will post here when it goes up next week.

Old man of prog
    Best use of Yiddish in a prog board goes to JKL2000

Here's my review of the new album, written for an audience who probably won't have heard of Meshuggah before, so it's a fairly broad interpretation of the album:

https://momentstransition.wordpress....f-reason-2016/

Hope you enjoy it.

DIY : Instant Meshuggah riff generator
    https://djen.co/

Anyone catching the band on their current tour?

I've got tickets to see them this weekend. Mind you, having watched the dvds and seen the crowd going wild, I might be taking my life in my hands......

Quote Originally Posted by Valen View Post
    Anyone catching the band on their current tour?

I've got tickets to see them this weekend. Mind you, having watched the dvds and seen the crowd going wild, I might be taking my life in my hands......
    I saw the Obzen tour, the band is fucking amazing, though the vocals wear me down after a while. But the crowd was a lot tamer than I expected. Not sure if that was the exception or the rule. I was up on the balcony at Irving Plaza, i thought for sure it was coning down, the crowd was rocking up there. It wasn't no Lamb of God pit i can tell you that much.
    But if you're a geezer like me, better safe and away from the fray than sorry!
    Have fun at all costs mate! Looking forward to a report!

I am not qualified to mean anything about Satan rock, since I hardly ever listen to the genre. But I have been following Meshuggah since Nothing. There is something fascinating about them. Monotonous and powerful riffs that avoid anything that resembles a melody, complex rhythms executed in an extreme precision, and then those wonderful guitar solos that loosens up and brings some beauty into this horrifying music. ObZen was my favorite before, but now I tend to like Destroy Erase Improve more, maybe because it also has some tunes that let my ears rest a bit.

But why does my ears ring for a week after listening to them?
    Last edited by trondis23; 01-16-2017 at 06:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gpeccary View Post
    Looking forward to a report!
    And here you have it!:

https://momentstransition.wordpress....h-live-review/

It was an amazing show, and I'm really glad I took a chance on it. If you're a fan at all, then I'd be surprised if this tour disappoints.

Tremendous review, and you're right, they probably would be more of a live band overall for me too. If they come to NA I'll jump in again and take the same chance you did...