Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: SNL 40th Anniversary Show

"I'll take WHORE ADS for 200"

Here's the entire Jeopardy sketch: http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/..._jeopardy.html
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Obscured View Post
    No sign of Al Franken.
    He was in the audience but as a Senator guess he thought no good to perform. He was mainly a writer. Thought the show was great. Wanted more church lady but that's just me----

Quote Originally Posted by 2steves View Post
    He was in the audience but as a Senator guess he thought no good to perform. He was mainly a writer.
    He was often a guest on Weekend Update; the funniest thing I've ever seen on tv was when he came on and discussed how to kill cockroaches; boiling one, smashing another. The look on Jane Curtain's face when he let the little buggers roam on the desk was priceless. She was beyond mortified. Also, he and Tom Davis (RIP) had a regular sketch. Franken & Davis turned into a political satire after a few skits; "Vote For Me, Al Franken" was a classic continued piece. Never thought he was really serious about politics back then. Sure showed me!
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I saw a tweet that said the only way Kanye's medley could have been bearable was if the walls closed in like the Star Wars trash compactor. Really, they had no need for musical guests for this show.
    Yeah, his "song" was atrocious. That no-talent hack has a lot of balls to be criticizing others at awards shows.

To me the funniest sketch SNL ever did was that synchronized swimming thing with Martin Short, Harry Shearer and Chris Guest. just thinking' about it. I'm partial to that cast though. Probably gave me the most laughs over any other cast.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    To me the funniest sketch SNL ever did was that synchronized swimming thing with Martin Short, Harry Shearer and Chris Guest. just thinking' about it. I'm partial to that cast though. Probably gave me the most laughs over any other cast.
    That was hysterical.

Didn't that cast also do an MTV styled video parody that was great?
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by -=RTFR666=- View Post
    She was there with Dan doing the Bass-o-matic skit.
    That's right! I forgot about her being there. I even spoke the lines at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    For me, I thought it was a bit sad. He was slow and couldn't pump out the words like he used to. Mid way through, I was wishing they used the original.
    Yeah, he was slow, but I though he was still effective. Nobody did those spots like Aykroyd could back then. Remember his Crazy Eddie commercials?

I hope his voice doesn't consistently sound like he needs to clear it. That phlegm sounded like it was going to bring him down. He warbled his way through it.
    It was pretty typical, from what I've seen lately. He sounds like he's crying. Don't get me wrong. He can still deliver the goods better than just about any 70-year-old. But, I think he hasn't quite come to terms with his limitations.

His Grammy performance, IMO, was pretty sad. I never thought I'd see the day where Paul McCartney was marginalized like he was during that lame-ass song with Kanye and Beyonce. I also think he looked borderline pathetic, as though he needed to prove his relevance (which he doesn't).
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I had a boss a few years ago when I worked in a big cubicle farm that loved the synchronized swimming bit. If we saw each other across the sea of cubes and needed to talk we'd do the pointing thing that Short and Shearer would do.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

"I know you...I know you"
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    He used to do a lot of OJ material, and a jackass NBC exec was friends with Simpson. Instead of backing down, he kept putting OJ mentions in his Updates.
    Don Olmeyer was indeed a friend of Simpson and it was rumored that Macdonald pissed Olmeyer off with some of his Simpson jokes (they even showed one of them last night), but Macdonald was pretty much pissing off network brass on a weekly basis with some of his controversial jokes on weekend update during that season. He was certainly not afraid to come very close, if not cross the line when it came to taboo humor. The time he made a mistake and said “fuck” on the air did not help his cause either.

He was pretty much ostracized from SNL history for a lot of years, but judging by the amount of airtime he got last night, most of those fences must have been mended.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Given that I never saw the humor in the cowbell skit, I think they way overplayed that, and the musical guests mostly sucked. Still, it was an enjoyable bit of nostalgia.

I still think the Cowbell sketch is one of the funniest things they ever did, and still get a chuckle out of it. I am one of the biggest Blue Oyster Cult fans on the planet, so maybe that is why, but I still think it is funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post

Agreed, a classic!

For any of you interested in SNL I highly recommend the book: Live From New York The Complete Uncensored History Of Saturday Night Live: http://www.amazon.com/Live-New-York-...day+night+live

It is a really thick book that is made up completely of interviews with cast and crew from all eras of the show through the first 30 years. It is really well written and gives great insight into all things SNL.

[I thought he did a great, although raspy voiced (prolly due to last night's concert) version of "Maybe I'm Amazed". You did catch that, right? ]

Actually I did watch it but I forgot about it. It was pretty bad actually. He just didn't sing it very well which is a shame because it's arguably his best song.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    The former was probably too busy going down on Glenn Beck
    Sounds like somebody's upset that an SNL alum is a non-moonbat.

The first funny thing Al Franken ever did was run for senate.
    Then when he lost, his lawyers made sure that they "found" enough "votes" for him to "win".

Then when he lost, his lawyers made sure that they "found" enough "votes" for him to "win".
    I thought he and Tom Davis were pretty funny when they were on SNL back in the 70's. They also "hosted" the Grateful Dead's Halloween 1980 concert from Radio City Music Hall (which was broadcast into movie theaters). I've never actually seen the full broadcast, but on the VHS release Dead Ahead, which was like a chopped down version of that show, they do this great bit where they send Brent Mydland out to introduce them. Brent says he doesn't knowt hem and doesn't think they're funny, "but here they are, Frank and Dave!". So they come on, start telling jokes, the audience starts booing, and Tom Davis is like, "Look, if you people don't settle down, we'll walk off this stage, and the Dead will come out and play for you". The audience cheers, and in sort of mock indignation, one of them says something like, "Oh is that what you want?! Fine! Here they are: the Grateful Dead!". I thought that whole thing was pretty funny.

Sounds like somebody's upset that an SNL alum is a non-moonbat.

Coming to the defense of an offended tribe member again? You win an autographed picture of the clown car for your service to the cause.

Apparently, that happened twice, since he was re-elected.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Apparently, that happened twice, since he was re-elected.
    The 2nd time, sure.

How many threads will get locked because some feel the need to spout their political junk around here??

How many threads will get locked because some feel the need to spout their political junk around here??
    Spoon-fed insecurity, no doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by malterb View Post
    Just watched as well

Bill Murray was great singing Jaws

Chris Rock was as usual funny

Overall I thought they did a good job

Miley Cyrus and Kanye West were awful and not sure why either were there.
    uh because they are popular?

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    After the Beyonce bit, Maya Rudolph has vaulted into my "funny women I'd like to boink" vault, right next to Tina Fey and Amy Poehler. Something about a gal that can make me laugh...

The whole thing was pretty self congratulatory. Man, talk about a lot of kissing up to Lorne Michaels. His sphincter must be as moist as a spongecake.

I suspect Franken was a no-show because he's battled for people to take him seriously for a while. Not so much these days now that he's into his second term but I can see why he wouldn't go back. I used to work with a guy that went to high school with Franken. When Al started his run for the Senate someone asked my coworker if Franken had the stuff for the job. His answer was always the same, "Al went to Harvard on a math scholarship. If anything he's too smart for the Senate".
    along the same lines i alway felt the same about ellen kleghorn. she just has to look at the camera and i laugh. pretty fuckable back then too

i liked all the musical guests. paul mac was great sure he was raspy, but you have to expect change with the age of the performer right. mylie cyrus was good, not my fav song by any stretch, but she showed that she can sing for sure. and she looked great. i thought kanye west was at least tryinmg to be interesting, performance art kind of thing. i would think that this would meet with some approval from such open minded music fans. i really liked his song. paul simon will always be awesome not my fav song again though, but he like paul mac is a living legend

Who you callin' "open minded"?