Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Brand X Appreciation Thread

I dig both almost the same - RTF gets a bit more attention from me though. I think BobM just nailed it for the most part.

Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    But I will say this: Corea has been a Scientologist for 45 years. Whether or not I think it's a scam (I do), it's clearly been working for him.
    Sometimes I wonder if the continuous dedications to L. Ron on all of Corea's releases are done to stay in the good graces of that sinister organization? But no matter, the Scientology folks have a great poster boy in a world famous artist like Corea.

^^ and Tom Cruise and Travolta

silly religion made up by a Sci-Fi writer
    but hating an artist for being a part of the thing is perhaps even more silly than the religion itself
    Last edited by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER; 02-17-2015 at 10:45 AM.
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post

but hating an artist for being a part of the thing is perhaps even more silly than the religion itself
    Nobody mentioned hate. Everybody has different needs to feel fulfilled and stay sane in this crazy world, so I wouldn't boycott an artist's music based on this. But getting back to the subject at hand... Since Brand X is being labeled a jam band (I never thought of them that way) what do listener's think about their compositions? Percy's title piece for Masques is a favorite of mine.

Sorry, but only Corea and Clarke were Scientologists, actually, as I recall.

But irrespective - and I share your dislike of Scientology and Hubbard- shouldn't music be assessed on its own merits? McLaughin was into Sri Chinmoy for a time; Richard Thompson was Muslim. Neal Morse an ardent Christian. Plenty of artists have been involved in what are, for some, questionable spiritual pursuits. But shouldn't their music be assessed on its own merits? Why does having written Romantic Warrior for L. Ron make it somehow bad? There's nothing actually in the music that reflects Hubbard or his sect.

To each their own, but for me, the music is what matters...unless the artists are something truly egregious, like pedophiles or murderers, then I don't care what their spiritual pursuits are.

But I will say this: Corea has been a Scientologist for 45 years. Whether or not I think it's a scam (I do), it's clearly been working for him.
    I agree with this and don't care too much who someone worships, or sleeps with, or whatever. I'm just happy for the music. I believe Billy Sheehan is a Scientologist as well.

As far as Brand X being a "jam band", I don't see them as such by definition, but I can see that as a valid observation. They clearly created a lot of material out of jams, whereas RTF is much more "composed".

Victor Wooten
    Arild Andersen (a double bassist who cites Jaco as a seminal influence)
    Mark Egan
    I love the Woot but I regard him as Clarke II the same way I see Chambers as Cobham II. Egan's good, but if you have to compare them, Manring's the innovator.

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post

Hail Xenu!

There was an indie shop in Downey, CA called Middle Earth (it closed roughly a decade ago). The owner assembled HAIL XENU with clasp letters on a bulletin board. I saw that and laughed. He went "That's in case Tom walks in here."

Manring's a monster player
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    I love the Woot but I regard him as Clarke II the same way I see Chambers as Cobham II. Egan's good, but if you have to compare them, Manring's the innovator.
    I'd go along with that, although Manring never did much for me.

How about Eberhard Weber?
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Always thought of Goodsall as sort of a "jimmy page" of fusion guitar.Like Coryell, he was pretty erratic.

Quote Originally Posted by Watanabe View Post
    Always thought of Goodsall as sort of a "jimmy page" of fusion guitar.Like Coryell, he was pretty erratic.
    true... but Coryell is better

I like some Isotope and Brand X, some RTF and WReport even more, and I love much Mahavish - but I ADORE National Health. Who, of course, weren't "fusion" anyway.

Still, I'm willing to accept that Corea is exactly 7% better the keysman than Lumley (or even Robinson), and that White is all 19,5 % better than Collins (sometimes only 14,9% better, at other occasions 22,1%). Even though the latter was in that other "straight-up" prog band and of course we'd all love to see a "straight-up" progband-man be as good as a "straight-up" fusion-man.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

my dad can beat up your dad

The Enemy God
    I think A Longer April on Is There Anything About is some of the most stunning Fretless Bass I ve heard and I presume is Giblin. Think it's an extended piece originally on Product but the bass seems more upfront on the extended version.

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    I'd go along with that, although Manring never did much for me.

How about Eberhard Weber?
    Absolutely a major innovator who has remained uninitiated and uncooked....largely because his instrument is so unique that to copy him you,d need something similar.

And yes, while Wooten is a logical evolution of Clarke (and Marcus Milker), when he plays fretless, the Jaco comes shining through......

Jack Lancaster has released a new album: Carnival Of The Animals. It features amongst others Phil Collins and Gary Brooker.

Absolutely a major innovator who has remained uninitiated and uncooked....largely because his instrument is so unique that to copy him you,d need something similar.

And yes, while Wooten is a logical evolution of Clarke (and Marcus Milker), when he plays fretless, the Jaco comes shining through......
    Gary Willis
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Phil Collins & John Goodsall: The Complete Boffomundo Interview

Love Brand X, big fan. But, as others have said, all the musicians mentioned are great players, that's all that needs to be said. You may prefer ones style, or songwriting, but I think they are all incredibly talented.
    Last edited by eporter66; 01-26-2017 at 12:07 AM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by gearHed289 View Post
    (...)

As far as Brand X being a "jam band", I don't see them as such by definition, but I can see that as a valid observation. They clearly created a lot of material out of jams, whereas RTF is much more "composed".
    +1

I don't think anyone has mentioned that Brand X were a very good live band in the early days and more interesting than the Gabriel/Collins shows around that time. Isotope are another excellent British jazzrock band and Gary Boyle's fingers on a fretboard have to be seen to be believed. Give me the jazzrock guitarists, like McLaughlin, DiMeola, Boyle and Johnny Mandala, over the shredders any day of the week.
    Member since Wednesday 09.09.09

Quote Originally Posted by Reid View Post
    Sometimes I wonder if the continuous dedications to L. Ron on all of Corea's releases are done to stay in the good graces of that sinister organization? But no matter, the Scientology folks have a great poster boy in a world famous artist like Corea.
    And Mark Isham and Billy Sheehan. Its a cartoon religion.

thanks for the kind words guys! Percy & John are still out there making noise

Quote Originally Posted by Brand-X 2016 View Post
    thanks for the kind words guys! Percy & John are still out there making noise
    And it is great to see (and hear) Percy also found some time to do a second BangTower with Neil Citron.
    Although he's not on all tracks anymore, people might like the other tracks too with Robbie Pagliari (Ohm) on bass.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    I scored front row tix to Arlington MA in October.
    http://www.regenttheatre.com/details/welcome_to_brand_x

I just happened to look at the Regent site last night and the tix were on sale. I haven't seen any announcements.

Just a heads-up - It looks like touring kicks off in Ithaca on Sept. 6.