Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quiet Riot Movie

Quiet Riot Movie

I just stumbled on the movie Quiet Riot Well We Are Here, There is no Going Back. It is playing on Showtime.

This is a documentary on the band Quiet Riot and focuses on the relationship between Kevin Dubrow and Frankie Banelli.

It is well done and at times does not take itself too seriously. Once the number one metal band in the world fell by the wayside like most bands of that's day. takes you through Dubrows death and Banelli trying to resurrect the band.

It was well done.

One thing I have to say is I am one who has no problem with a band still playing even without key and original members. If you know in advance what you are getting, like the music, then these guys still need to make a living.

Sounds interesting. I'm not a QR fan by any stretch but I enjoy rock documentaries. Recently I've been watching a lot of rock docs on Youtube, about heavy metal history, or Sunset Strip history. What a crazy, crazy time that was. I don't have premium cable so I'll have to miss this one, but if it ever shows up on youtube I'll watch it for sure.

This was a pretty cool doc! I liked them back in the day, but mostly as good time, rowdy, party music. Fun stuff. Great memories!
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Thanks for the heads-up...Ill certainly have a look-see

As far as bands not using original members, I guess it depends on the band, the backstory, and who the replacements are.

Never heard of this, but def will try to catch it on showtime.

Do they spend any time on when Randy Rhoads was with them?
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

DVR'd this 2 weeks back on the night it debuted. Just waiting to find the time. While I am not a huge fan the title track Metal Health is still an all time favorite of mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Do they spend any time on when Randy Rhoads was with them?
    A little bit
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Anyone know when it might be shown again? I looked through the guide on my TV, but not finding it anywhwere.

I DVR'd it because it did not appear to be on after the initial airing. Just watched today and thought it was really well done.

Walter Moore from GH was even in some bar band edition of QR for a while back in the late 90s sometime *lol* He said DuBrow was pretty much the douche you'd think he was.

Rudy Sarzo thought Dubrow was a douche.

It is on Showtime, and On Demand.

They did show some Randy Rhodes and interviewed his siblings.

Quote Originally Posted by malterb View Post
    It is on Showtime, and On Demand.

They did show some Randy Rhodes and interviewed his siblings.
    Didn't even think about On Demand. Will have to check it out there.

Had a chance to watch this last night on demand, and really enjoyed it. I remember the first time I saw Quiet Riot on one of those late night Friday music shows (either Rock Concert or Midnight Special) and I thought they were great. Went out and picked up “Mental Health” and still think it holds up as a solid rock album today. They went downhill really fast, but that album was cool. The documentary was both cool and kind of sad, but interesting to watch. It would have been nice to have had some input from Carlos Cavaso on the whole thing, but apparently he did not want to be interviewed.

Quote Originally Posted by malterb View Post

One thing I have to say is I am one who has no problem with a band still playing even without key and original members. If you know in advance what you are getting, like the music, then these guys still need to make a living.
    Me either. There are a lot of bands from the 70’s and 80’s that are in the same situation as Quiet Riot. Although they have had many lineups, there has been a continuity with the members and I really don’t have an issue with it.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Me either. There are a lot of bands from the 70’s and 80’s that are in the same situation as Quiet Riot. Although they have had many lineups, there has been a continuity with the members and I really don’t have an issue with it.
    I mostly agree. If there's a continuity there then I'm okay with it. The exceptions would be 2,3 bands with members of a classic band starting their own version of the band, like the two Wishbone Ash bands for example. Another would be a band like Queen or Thin Lizzy touring without their 2 main guys. Well, I'll give Scott Gorham credit for changing the name of the band and not recording any new albums of new material as Thin Lizzy long after Phil passed on.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    I mostly agree. If there's a continuity there then I'm okay with it. The exceptions would be 2,3 bands with members of a classic band starting their own version of the band, like the two Wishbone Ash bands for example. Another would be a band like Queen or Thin Lizzy touring without their 2 main guys. Well, I'll give Scott Gorham credit for changing the name of the band and not recording any new albums of new material as Thin Lizzy long after Phil passed on.
    I don’t really have a problem with Queen since there is continuity there with Roger and Brian. I would actually consider going to see the current Adam Lambert version if they played close to my area.

With Thin Lizzy, when that whole thing started they also had Brian Downey and the keyboard player (name escapes me) with Gorham, so there were 3 former Thin Lizzy members in the band, so I did not really have a problem with that. As you mention they have not changed their name to Black Star Riders (new album just came out) and are moving away from the Lizzy thing, although they still do a lot of Lizzy material live.

I just can't imagine Thin Lizzy without the soul, the heart, the visionary of the band. I'm glad Scott is keeping the legacy going, but he did the right thing by not calling the band Thin Lizzy and letting it rest in peace. I've yet to hear any Black Star Riders albums. I'll have to order them online 'cause I ain't finding those CDs at Best Buy.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I don’t really have a problem with Queen since there is continuity there with Roger and Brian. I would actually consider going to see the current Adam Lambert version if they played close to my area.
    I highly recommend that you do. Lambert does an excellent job, balancing the "respect to Freddie" with the "make it his own" very well, IMO.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    I just can't imagine Thin Lizzy without the soul, the heart, the visionary of the band. I'm glad Scott is keeping the legacy going, but he did the right thing by not calling the band Thin Lizzy and letting it rest in peace. I've yet to hear any Black Star Riders albums. I'll have to order them online 'cause I ain't finding those CDs at Best Buy.
    I have the first album and think it is great for straight ahead rock n roll. Saw them live last summer too. They played a club to a pathetically small number of people, but put on a great show.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I highly recommend that you do. Lambert does an excellent job, balancing the "respect to Freddie" with the "make it his own" very well, IMO.
    My wife and daughter went to see them and had a thoroughly good time, I declined the offered ticket not being able to get past "No Freddie No Queen".

I watched the QR movie (or at least an hour of it) and turned it off fed up with the Hair Metal One Hit Wonder Excess, I kept wanting to yell "Slade played it much better and they wrote it!!"
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

A few comments from above

Queen, I saw the show last summer and it was great, Adam Lambert did an excellent job, everyone knew this was without Freddy and Brian May still has it, so it was great to see

Quiet Riot movie, yeah not mentioning that Come on Feel the Noise and Were all Crazy now we're Slade covers was a shame.

Sounds really cool, not a massive fan of them myself but will definitely watch this if I can find it.

Oh god are you guys serious? Slade gets no mention at all in this film?