Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Geddy Lee on That Metal Show and Rock Icons Feb 21st

Or you can watch it on VH-1's site. http://www.vh1.com/shows/that_metal_...st/#id=1734357

On the Top Five bit with Joe Elliott: Def Leppard sucks after '83, but I have more respect for Joe since he put Montrose rather than Led Zeppelin. He also remarked "When has David Bowie ever been a band?!" That was great.

I think Eddie Trunk is great. A loudmouth, for sure, but that's the kind of guy who gets the job! It was strange though, when he interviewed Derek Shulman when the Gentle Giant reissues were being released.

Thanks for that link Sean. The VH1 site wouldn't allow me to watch it in Canada.

How bizarre that Geddy prefers the debut Rush album to Signals! Oh and Petrucci? Time to trim that beard, man. That's outta control.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

[Time to trim that beard, man. That's outta control. ]

Tell that to the guys from ZZ Top!

Anyway, is there a clip of Eddie interviewing Derek Shulman somewhere. Eddie doesn't seem to have an understanding of what progressive rock is. Ok, maybe that's a bit unfair but I've never heard him mention it not even with RUSH or DT related stuff.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Eddie knows the basics, i.e. Rush, Yes, Genesis, Tull, Floyd. That's about it, I think.

Best line from the episode: "I wish I still had that hat!" What Geddy said when he saw a clip of himself in an interview ca. 1985. Maybe that's where John's beard came from.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    I think Eddie Trunk is great. A loudmouth, for sure, but that's the kind of guy who gets the job! It was strange though, when he interviewed Derek Shulman when the Gentle Giant reissues were being released.

Thanks for that link Sean. The VH1 site wouldn't allow me to watch it in Canada.

How bizarre that Geddy prefers the debut Rush album to Signals! Oh and Petrucci? Time to trim that beard, man. That's outta control.
    Haven't seen the interviewer yet, but that seems a little strange that he likes the first album over Signals. Seems kinda knuckleheaded. .... I like Signals a lot, but I like the first album better.

Maybe we could get Jon Kirkman to do That Prog Show!

That Metal Show always reminds me of Wayne's World.

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    Apparently that's why Paul Stanley didn't want to be a guest believe it or not.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    Apparently that's why Paul Stanley didn't want to be a guest believe it or not.
    He and Gene don't want to be guests because Eddie has been very vocal about his disapproval about them putting a guy from a tribute band in Ace's makeup and a guy from Akron in Peter's. OK, maybe it's not that Eric Singer is from Akron, but more that he simply isn't Peter.

Speaking of which, I liked at the top of the show when they were talking about AC/DC, and I think it was Don who made the wisecrack that, "at least they didn't hire Tommy and Eric from Kiss!".

I did enjoy the show though. It was a lot of fun. The program afterwards was cool too even though Geddy mispronounced "moog."
    So does everyone else. Only geeks know how to correctly pronounce the name.

"And it's a song that features the Mood Symplifier...and organ! Yeah, that's the one! Gypsy!"

No way!!!!!

The program afterwards was cool too even though Geddy mispronounced "moog."
    I think he's entitled

Impressive, articulate, grounded and well rounded! Great musician and guy!

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    No way!!!!!
    Way!!

(Yes DM, I took that out of context...)
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

I still say the major domos at VH-1 Classic had an ulterior motive for the "Wayne's World" aspect of the show, that being that they wanted to prove how stupid heavy metal bands and their fans are, and to demonstrate "why grunge had to happen"

Quote Originally Posted by dgtlman View Post
    I think he's entitled
    Why? Because he's a big time rock star? How would you like people mispronouncing your last name?

Quote Originally Posted by Obscured View Post
    Way!!

(Yes DM, I took that out of context...)
    Well played Sir.

There are 7 or 8 clips out out takes on VH1 Classic website, all worth watching. Some good stuff from Geddy, a nice piece where Petricci is asked about his gear and two nice bits from "Miss Box of Junk". They should have more of this on the show.

Why? Because he's a big time rock star? How would you like people mispronouncing your last name?
    People mispronounce my name all the time as Dog Tail Man... no big whup! Besides, Ged plays with a guy who's name is mispronounced all the time so he's probably used to the situation.

Pé'art, right?

Quote Originally Posted by dgtlman View Post
    People mispronounce my name all the time as Dog Tail Man... no big whup! Besides, Ged plays with a guy who's name is mispronounced all the time so he's probably used to the situation.
    Ha ha. Ok little brother.

Maybe we should do rock paper scissors with our similar names on here. Or one of us could be New World Man.

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    Pé'art, right?
    I used to say it like "pert" until I finally found it it's suppose to be pronounced like "pee ert." Most people seem to incorrectly pronounce it as "pert" though.

I used to say it like "pert" until I finally found it it's suppose to be pronounced like "pee ert." Most people seem to incorrectly pronounce it as "pert" though.
    Same here. "Pert" became "Peert." At least I never pronounced it "Pairt"!

And now I find myself saying Moag instead of Moooog. I like how clever and self-important people feel when they correct our pronunciation of Moog. Of course, they didn't know the correct pronunciation until maybe a year ago.....

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    Same here. "Pert" became "Peert." At least I never pronounced it "Pairt"!
    And then there are those who like to pronounce it Pratt
    Last edited by dgtlman; 02-25-2015 at 08:35 AM.

Neil.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973