Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Steve Hacket "Wolflight" trailer

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    ^^ Emerald and Ash is very good - I really liked Nomads from Out of the Tunnel's Mouth too.

Quote Originally Posted by AncientChord View Post
    Kudos to Steve. A true gentleman besides being a prog-guitar God. At least he, unlike the Charterhouse snobs and Phil, embraces the music of early Genesis and also continues to be a living testament to the prog ethic. We're very lucky that he is still around giving us the good stuff.
    Well said. One of the great tragedies for me is that Hackett and Banks don't work together. This is a powerful match up. The acoustic things on the new Hackett record sound real nice---some of the other parts are similar to what he;s been doing---but I love Steve--he's one of the two best prog guitarists ever and look forward to it.

How great is Steve Hackett??!! At a time when many of his peers are either doing nothing or recording music that is a pale shadow of what they once created, Steve continues to make music that is vital. His music sounds like he is still out to prove something which is just awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by 2steves View Post
    One of the great tragedies for me is that Hackett and Banks don't work together. This is a powerful match up.
    So very true. They are the two that seem to still have a real passion, in spite of the sad fact of Tony's only putting out music every 8 years. The two composers compliment each other very nicely

I just place my pre-order for the CD release.

I'm a bit disappointed because I noticed that, if you order one of the other formats, (CD/DVD, vinyl, MP3), you get either 2 or 3 bonus tracks. C'mon Steve, give us less indulgent fan$ equal pleasure.
    I've got a bike you can ride it if you like

At first the song on the linked video sounds like a bunch of his other recent stuff, but I think it improves as it goes. Pretty good, and I imagine there are better songs on the album.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    I just place my pre-order for the CD release.

I'm a bit disappointed because I noticed that, if you order one of the other formats, (CD/DVD, vinyl, MP3), you get either 2 or 3 bonus tracks. C'mon Steve, give us less indulgent fan$ equal pleasure.
    Bonus tracks are what "illegal" downloads are for.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Bonus tracks are what "illegal" downloads are for.
    I have to agree, honestly.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Well, I pre-ordered the LEGAL download, so I will have those extra 2 tracks. But I totally get what you mean...

I've not figured out how to illegally download, but I'm also not inclined to learn. I've got enough music to keep me busy.

I understand & accept the fact of artists releasing their music in different formats & with a variety of extras. But the music, that should be consistent regardless of option.
    I've got a bike you can ride it if you like

Full 8-minute video for Wolflight:

Suspended
    Judging from the samples, sounds rather good. This is more like it, Steve. Your own music, rather than rehashing of past Genesis glories. More of this please.

As for the images/videos, I didn't really notice them much because I was listening to the music and to what he was saying.

Would I go to see him perform? Absolutely - but I don't see that happening in this country. I'd also go to see Banks, though he'd be unlikely to tour without at least one vocalist. Is Jack Hues still around and available? Or he could get John Farnham to do vocal duties - now that could actually work...

I'd have very little interest in Collins solo or Rutherford solo. Not because I don't think they are great musicians but because I know what they would be likely to perform, and it wouldn't be "Firth of Fifth" or "Carpet Crawl".
    Last edited by bob_32_116; 03-28-2015 at 12:01 PM.

Sounds like you haven't been following his career or you wouldn't make out rehashing Genesis was all he's been doing. It's only just over three years since his last full studio release, and just over two since the Squackett project got released. He's been *by far* the most prolific member of the band in terms of putting new material out.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Sounds like you haven't been following his career or you wouldn't make out rehashing Genesis was all he's been doing. It's only just over three years since his last full studio release, and just over two since the Squackett project got released. He's been *by far* the most prolific member of the band in terms of putting new material out.
    Please don't put words in my mouth. I never said or suggested that rehashing Genesis was all he's been doing.

I'm getting tired of people on this board attacking other people rather than addressing the topics.

I'm sorry you took it that way, but I wouldn't say I 'attacked' you. Only trying to redress the (seemingly common) view that he does endless Genesis rehashes.

I felt he had a very low profile before the Genesis Revisited tours got him back in the theatres. I hope some of that 'new' audience bother to check out his solo stuff. I've been doing so since he put out 'Wild Orchids' in 2006 when nobody else in the classic line-up was doing anything new (and most of them still aren't).

Since 2009 he's put out three albums of completely new material, not a bad run, and now four with this new one.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    Full 8-minute video for Wolflight:

Prog musicians shouldn't make music videos.

But not bad...the beginning was a little shaky, but it picked up nicely towards the end.

I'll be happy to hear the whole thing.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Some tasty guitar playing. The video itself .

i find it very interesting that there was even a budget for this type of video. It aint cheap. As a filmmaker it is refreshing to see new videos with decent budgets. Steve needed a better writer and director though for sure!
    David Robin
    Filmmaker/Drummer
    www.steelyjam.com
    www.davidrobinfilms.com

Agreed. His guitar playing is superb as always. As for his "Hackting"...

Actually, I vote for more Genesis rehashing. This is nice too though

Tony Banks is probably sitting at his kitchen table with this song on his laptop and a half empty bottle of whisky crying out "Fuck!! All these years and Steve still has it!! Life is unfair!!!"

I think the song and playing is very good--although this is the kind of stuff he's been doing for the past several years---I will always go see Steve and buy his albums----but also think he should always revisit Genesis as that music is classic amazing art and needs to be played on a regular basis---especially since no one else can do it like Steve does.

Quote Originally Posted by firth5th View Post
    Tony Banks is probably sitting at his kitchen table with this song on his laptop and a half empty bottle of whisky crying out "Fuck!! All these years and Steve still has it!! Life is unfair!!!"
    Have you heard "Six"? It's really, really good. Room for both in the world.

(For the record, I really like this track and *GASP* the video. So maybe I don't have any taste after all.)

Interesting interview with Steve here.

http://musicenthusiastmag.com/steve-...015-interview/

Good to know that there's been an increase in pre-orders for this- presumably the Genesis Revisited touring has raised his profile- and he also mentions being in contact with Steve Howe.

I don't have much interest in Banks' classical stuff (same as I don't with Steve's to be honest) but would have interest in albums of more rock-leaning new material by any of them. But they don't seem to have much interest in doing that, which is their prerogative.
    Last edited by JJ88; 03-29-2015 at 04:06 AM.

I miss the quirky Steve of old and that video (and album cover) do not do him any favours at all. It's like the album cover version of this - http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Mountain...ds=wolf+tshirt . I hope he gets such good reviews

I'll still get it, though. I guess my old style Hackett itch was scratched by Tiger Moth Tales' Cocoon.