Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bill Nelson (after Be Bop Deluxe)

Bill Nelson (after Be Bop Deluxe)

I've been going through my vinyl and doing digital remasters of stuff that's not on CD and/or that I dont want to buy CDs of and I just started revisiting Bill Nelson's work starting with Red Noise and Quit Dreaming... and, the never released on CD, The Two-Fold Aspect of Everything. I'm surprised at how New Wave it is.

I suppose I should have expected what I'm hearing, but I seemed to remember last time I played these in the 80s more instrumental stuff and now I cant figure out where I might have heard all the instrumental Bill Nelson stuff that my faulty memory seems to inform me of.

Is there an instrumental album or 2 from Bill in the early 80s?
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

... perhaps I should ask, what's the best of his first 5 or so albums?
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Great artist. I can't speak as much about his solo stuff though-- not as familiar yet. Love his work on David Sylvian's Gone to Earth.

well, he's certainly touched many styles over the years...best suggestion is to listen to some stuff and see what strikes your fancy

There's a 4 album box of instrumental Nelson from the early 80s. I had the cassettes back in the day, but Esoteric just re-released it about a year or two ago on CD. Can't think of the title right now. It is pretty good for the most part, some ambient some more structured.

As for more recent BN, Esoteric also released the 6-cd set Noise Candy from the early 00s. I don't know if that is instrumental. If anyone has it I would love to hear what it's like.

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    There's a 4 album box of instrumental Nelson from the early 80s. I had the cassettes back in the day, but Esoteric just re-released it about a year or two ago on CD. Can't think of the title right now. It is pretty good for the most part, some ambient some more structured.

As for more recent BN, Esoteric also released the 6-cd set Noise Candy from the early 00s. I don't know if that is instrumental. If anyone has it I would love to hear what it's like.
    It is not instrumental - though there is certainly a good amount of instrumental tracks on it - I have one of the originals from 2000 - great packaging that I believe was recreated for the release. Each of the six albums are a different style

Bill always had many different instrumental things released in the early mid 80's...Forgive my obvious title mistakes, but I seem to remember Beauty and the Beast, Some sort of BBC Frankenstein or Nosforatu, "something" for Charms sake, Silent Observatory...The man is and has been very prolific

^^^ OMG. I just went over to progarchives to refresh my memory of the titles of those 80s discs, and you're not kidding about his being prolific... Progarchives lists about 35 new BN studio CDs recorded since 2000. This guy is in Rick Wakeman territory in terms of spitting out the releases! I wonder where you can even buy them?? None of our favorite prog vendors carry any of this material and neither does Amazon apparently.

The rather rare "Duplex : The Best Of Bill Nelson" has a vocal and instrumental CD.

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    ... perhaps I should ask, what's the best of his first 5 or so albums?
    I would say The Love That Whirls.

Quote Originally Posted by kenschwartz View Post
    It is not instrumental - though there is certainly a good amount of instrumental tracks on it - I have one of the originals from 2000 - great packaging that I believe was recreated for the release. Each of the six albums are a different style
    You're talking about two different box sets, Trial by Intimacy vs. Noise Candy.

My favorite is Practically Wired.

Sorry, I can listen to the Red Noise material, but I'll reach for his guitar wizardry with his previous band 100% of the time.
    "The woods would be very silent if the only birds that sang were those who sang best..." - Henry David Thoreau

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    I have:

Sound On Sound (Red Noise)
    Blue Moons And Laughing Guitars
    Practically Wired
    After The Satellite Sings

All are good. Practically Wired is probably my favorite of the above.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by gryphs also View Post
    Sorry, I can listen to the Red Noise material, but I'll reach for his guitar wizardry with his previous band 100% of the time.
    Ditto.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Calling Rob . . . Rob T. come in please . . ..

I like his later ultra - prolific releases over the earlier music, some of which are on sale here: http://www.soundonsound.com/shop/Dept.php?DeptID=17
    They are very interesting, mostly uptempo ambient and acoustic pieces, all somewhat different, using a lot of samples and distorted sounds. Atom Shop and Mazda Kaleidoscope stand out for me.
    The Culture Cafe, Sundays 6-9am on WWUH-FM
    Broadcasting from the University of Hartford, CT at 91.3FM, streaming at www.wwuh.streamrewind.com and at www.wwuh.org

Quote Originally Posted by kayfabe58 View Post
    Some sort of BBC Frankenstein or Nosforatu
    Das Kabinet?

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    There's a 4 album box of instrumental Nelson from the early 80s. I had the cassettes back in the day, but Esoteric just re-released it about a year or two ago on CD. Can't think of the title right now.
    I found it. It's called Chance Encounters In The Garden Of Lights

Yes, Chance Encounters In The Garden Of Light is an instrumental collection. It was originally a 2 LP set which was also issued as a 2 CD set with bonus material.

The reference to a 4 album box of instrumental music may be to Trial By Intimacy (The Book Of Splendours) which I believe was originally issued in 1985 and reissued by Esoteric in 2012 as a 4 CD set.

All that said, you don't have to chase Bill Nelson rarities too hard to build quite the nice collection, given the recent reissue activity. Noise Candy is the most recent, such a superb box.

I used to be a big Nelson fan way back. However, never found his solo stuff to be as good as the BBD stuff. Haven't listened in some time. I have some sort of rare 3 or 4CD box set from back in the late 80s. Came with a really cool shirt with a creepy picture of Bill on the front. I do not recall much else about the set.

just starting to figure his 80s discography out
    Red Noise - like the first XTC album, quirky Pop Punk
    Quit Dreaming - more of the same, but a bit more New Wave/electro Pop
    Das Kabinet - Electronic Ambient instrumental soundtrack
    Sounding The Ritual Echo - Electronic instrumentals
    La Belle - same as Das Kabinet
    Love That Whirls - First solid album of music with consistency, albeit quirky New Wave like a one-man XTC

I'll investigate further and return with my findings

Bill Nelson is a highly prolific artist with over 100 albums, not including Be Bop Deluxe or compilations. He continues to release several albums per year on CD in very limited quantities. Any artist this prolific will be repetitive in some form or another, and while Bill is not immune to this he still creates music with a wide range of approaches and styles. Thankfully, Esoteric is in the middle of a reissue campaign covering over 20 out-of-print titles (several of which are multi-disc sets) from the late 80's through early 00's. Additionally Bill is finally offering download versions of some his most rare titles via Bandcamp. This is a great time catch up on some of his music before it goes out of print again.

If there's any interest in anything beyond his 80's output, I'd be happy to post the full discography (sans compilations) with a brief description of the style for each album.

Just let me know.

Simplex came out in the late 80's, THE top Ambient LP, imo, should now be available once again, a must hear!! SIMPLEX.....
    Thinking is the best way to Travel....

Quote Originally Posted by lee59 View Post
    If there's any interest in anything beyond his 80's output, I'd be happy to post the full discography (sans compilations) with a brief description of the style for each album.

Just let me know.
    I would love to see that. Thanks!

Just figured out that the box set I have that came with the creepy shirt with the Nelson self portrait is Demonstrations of Affection released in 89. Comprised of 4 CDs:

Nudity
    Chimes and Rings
    Heartbreakland
    Details

Wish I hadn't outgrown the shirt. Oh well

I jus did a really quick count of my Bill Nelson collection minus Be-Bop and side projects: 95, some of which have multiple CD's. As far s I am aware, I have all but one. Many, if not most are instrumental. There are a number of ambient CD's from the 80's, and two from Orchestra Arcana which are sort of Ambient with a beat and found vocals. My favorite instrumental CD's are "Plaything," "The Romance of Sustain," "Both Rosewood Volumes One and Two" (which are done on acoustic guitars), the notorious "Simplex," "Practically Wired," and "Chance Encounters in the Garden of Light." "Altar Pieces," is also very good and originally was available only on cassette. Now available as a digital download from Bandcamp. BTW: "The Two-Fold Aspect of Everything" is out on CD. Simplex is notorious because his manager stole the tapes sold bootlegs to members of Bill's fan club. It took many years of legal wrangling to get it back and properly distributed. Those illegal boots have black and white covers.

Bill is my favorite musician. I have travelled to England twice to hear him. As much I enjoyed Be-Bop, I would urge any and all frequenters of this site to check out his solo stuff.