Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: UK North American Tour Dates for 2015

Still bummed they couldn't see fit to throw a Chicago or other mid-USA date in there. Can't afford to travel to the coasts for this.

What happened to the possible So. Cal show?

Quote Originally Posted by Mstove View Post
    Still bummed they couldn't see fit to throw a Chicago or other mid-USA date in there. Can't afford to travel to the coasts for this.
    It's not where the band "see fit" to do dates. It's generally more to do with where promoters will take them. They struggled to get dates in the UK, doing the London show without a promoter and expecting to lose money on the Leamington Spa show.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    It's not where the band "see fit" to do dates. It's generally more to do with where promoters will take them. They struggled to get dates in the UK, doing the London show without a promoter and expecting to lose money on the Leamington Spa show.

Henry
    What sad times are these that we live in... I hope London worked out well for them in the end. Did they ever have a presence in the UK back in the day? Kind of ironic if no... My impression is that they were primarily marketed to the USA. Maybe that explains the difficulty in getting gigs now.

I am very much looking forward to NYC in a few weeks.

**BUMP**
    The end begins tomorrow. I'll be at the final U.S. gig Friday.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

So, whats next for Jobson??

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by progman1975 View Post
    So, whats next for Jobson??
    Only Zealots know for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post

Henry
    I understand the concept of how shows are booked, but thanks. I'd have still liked a show in the middle of the country somewhere.

Typical Jobson. I was just informed that he's not selling the pricey Japanese dvd's at the merch table like they hinted(which would have been at domestic price). His business practices suck ass!!!!

had a good time in SF last night thought the band sounded good. however they still have not come close to the first time I saw them in san francisco back on the initial reunion tour.

spoiler:

played pretty much the same songs (though I enjoyed the Bruford cover which I didn't recognize at the time but I presume it is the same setlist as europe)

Eddie Jobsons solo was a bit more Piano based than I remember it being which was nice, Mangini was pretty awesome but overall probably the least impressive of the 3 drummers I have seen play with UK (No Drum solo though if you were concerned), but no king crimson tonight which was a disappointment after the fantastic starless and one more red nightmare they did the first time and fallen angel the second time. also one of my favorite moments at the first UK show I saw was when they through on sahara of the snow to finish out the set. just feels like every UK show since for me has been lacking compared to that full full evening(Didn't play danger money either).

will be sad though if this really is the end.
    Last edited by gojikranz; 04-22-2015 at 11:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gojikranz View Post
    had a good time in SF last night thought the band sounded good. however they still have not come close to the first time I saw them in san francisco back on the initial reunion tour.

spoiler:

played pretty much the same songs (though I enjoyed the Bruford cover which I didn't recognize at the time but I presume it is the same setlist as europe)

Eddie Jobsons solo was a bit more Piano based than I remember it being which was nice, Mangini was pretty awesome but overall probably the least impressive of the 3 drummers I have seen play with UK (No Drum solo though if you were concerned), but no king crimson tonight which was a disappointment after the fantastic starless and one more red nightmare they did the first time and fallen angel the second time. also one of my favorite moments at the first UK show I saw was when they through on sahara of the snow to finish out the set. just feels like every UK show since for me has been lacking compared to that full full evening(Didn't play danger money either).

will be sad though if this really is the end.
    The moment Alaska started was pretty darn impressive ..... the rumble of that loud, super low note pulsated through me like standing in timpani.
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Just Eric View Post
    The moment Alaska started was pretty darn impressive ..... the rumble of that loud, super low note pulsated through me like standing in timpani.
    definitely, the only thing I think that rivaled that was also at the regency when I saw Emerson and Lake and Emerson shook the place with the moog.
    Last edited by gojikranz; 04-22-2015 at 01:21 PM.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Eric View Post
    No equipment malfunctions? I saw them 3 times in the 70s with not a glitch, but all 3 times I've seen them since 2009, Jobson's keyboard rig broke down.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    No equipment malfunctions? I saw them 3 times in the 70s with not a glitch, but all 3 times I've seen them since 2009, Jobson's keyboard rig broke down.
    he seemed to be having some troubles with it before ceasars palace blues and I was worried that they might have cut a song(cause he doesn't use keyboard on that track so I wasn't sure why it seemed to be a problem) because of it but we got everything that europe got so unless they added a song to the setlist then cut it, it did not effect the show in any way.

Going to the Philly gig tonight...Will be my 4th time seeing them with 4 diff drummers(Bozzio/Husband/Donati/Mangini)

Well, it was a pleasure to be at the so-called "Final U.K. - US Show" (if this actually turns out to be so). After seeing all 4 of U.K.'s Highline Ballroom's Reunion concerts since 2011, this one will have to do as a fitting end. For all who might be interested in last night's set, scroll down below.

Anyway, I must say that John and Eddie both sounded and played very well. They also seemed to really enjoy it. Also, Alex Machacek played great. He really does an admirable job with all of the Holdsworth parts. I must say that I thought that Mike Mangini did a terrific job with the material. Definitely a different touch and feel than Bruford/Minnemann/Bozzio/Donati, but is quite the player. I enjoyed his performance. Sorry to think that this is it for U.K., but, alas, C'est La Vie.
    :
    :
    :
    :
    Thirty Years
    Nevermore
    Carrying No Cross
    Alaska
    Time to Kill
    Night After Night
    Disturbance In Vienna (Eddie Jobson solo)
    Drum Solo (Mike Mangini solo)
    Rendezvous 6:02
    In the Dead of Night
    By the Light of Day
    Presto Vivace and Reprise
    Forever Until Sunday (Bruford cover)
    Encore:
    Caesar's Palace Blues
    The Only Thing She Needs
    Carrying No Cross (reprise)

Ed
    -------------------------------
    www.myriadtrio.com
    www.facebook.com/MyriadtrioNY

Great set list! Glad you enjoyed it.

neil

So, more issues last night. MM screaming at his tech during the first two songs about something and then Eddie's violin wasn't coming in over the house p.a. for the first minute or so of CNC. Neither problem threw them off for a second, nor did it in any way diminish the intensity of this great last hurrah. I've been privileged to have seen so many variations of this band since the first time in Central Park with the original quartet. Cheers, Eddie!
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

I agree it was a privilege to see the final UK show last night. The intensity was on par with my previous experience of seeing them at NF 2012. And we didn't have to wait until midnight this time!

What a powerful band live. 30 years, Nevermore, Alaska all sounded better than the studio versions. The show really hit home what a classic that first LP really is. Eddie and John were just "on" the whole night. Mangini was great.

Others are up too.

Awesome find, Obscured! Terrific!!!!

Ed
    -------------------------------
    www.myriadtrio.com
    www.facebook.com/MyriadtrioNY

Mangini was yelling at the sound guy because his in ear monitors were too loud, he was rippin pissed for sure!
    I thought the sound kind of sucked. Manginis' drums almost had an electronic sound to them. One of his kick drums had a clicking sound which was really annoying. I'm not sure if it was just where i was standing or not. It was my first time at the highline, I'm hoping the sound is better for PFM and isn't like that in there all the time.

So if this is it for UK touring together, is Jobson done? Let's face it, UK was his money train...

It was really interesting, he said how when he closes the door on one project it opens doors to other projects and directions artistically that wouldn't happen otherwise. He said he doesn't know what's next, but something is. I found that to be a great answer.

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    We saw Transatlantic at the Highline last year, sat right in front of the stage, and the sound was quite good.

I had the misfortune of being at UK's show at the now-defunct Showcase Live in Foxboro MA a couple of years back when Eddie's keyboards basically failed. It was initially humorous until he and the techs gave up and Eddie suggested "we pretend they're fixed." Happily, got to see the next iteration in Montreal, unplagued by such demons. Also enjoyed the iteration we saw at the Regent Theater in Arlington. So between my two UK shows in the '70s (trio) and my three times seeing the modern iterations, I will have to content myself with my memories and many live recordings (rather than the Reunion DVD which has a high end that would rival a dentist's drill).