Thread: FEATURED CD - Ihsahn : After

FEATURED CD - Ihsahn : After

Black metal with a SAX? Kewl!

A 5-star review from Ryan, on SoT :
    Continuing the exploratory tradition set forth on his first two solo albums The Adversary and angL, ex-Emperor frontman Ihsahn has delivered his most diverse offering to date with his latest opus entitled After. While he certainly hasn't forgone his symphonic black metal roots as there are still plenty of examples of pure, unbridled aggression, this album feels like more of a breakthrough as he continues to evolve further and put just a bit more distance between himself and the past.

Utterly compelling from first icy, sounding guitar stabs of "The Barren Lands" the track quickly surges forward into a gloriously heavy and melodic epic full of his trademark crisp soaring leads, coupled with the trade off snarling and clean vocal approach. No sooner does this sterling opening number reach its conclusion before the listener is launched headlong into the swirling, densely layered, chaotic maelstrom of "A Grave Inversed", the first track to take advantage of the squonking sax work of Jorgen Munkeby from the Norweigian jazz / metal outfit Shining. While Munkeby's almost free jazz method of playing is used sparingly throughout the album he waves his tapestry of sound flawlessly, and in such a way that it brilliantly compliments the crushingly heavy guitar riffs on "Heaven's Black Sea" as well as adding to the distinctly melancholic aura set forth on the two epics compositions "Undercurrent" and the slamming final anthem "On The Shores".

The stellar contributions of bassist Lars Norberg and drummer Asgeir Mickelson should also be noted as they once again provide the requisite muscular bottom end and deep rhythmic grooves to drive these anthems forward. As for the man himself, well he's taken both his music and performances to a completely new level on After. Vocally he deftly slides back and forth between his harsh, demonic and tortured delivery, with a forlorn clean style on the inward musings of the title track, and the post-black metal feel of "Austere", which highlights a heaping dose of swelling, psychedelic sounding organ playing amid Norberg's, meaty, fretless bass work and the delicate acoustic guitar passages. He also puts the organ to work on "Frozen Lakes On Mars", another track which is chock full of rapidly shifting tempos, soaring leads and complex guitar melodies.

After is nothing short of a masterpiece from beginning to end and it cannot be viewed as anything less than one of the first, if not the first 'must have' metal albums of 2010. The gauntlet has been thrown down and the bar has been set pretty damned high; it will be interesting to see if anyone else is up for the challenge of putting together a collection of music that is as convincing and diverse as this within the metal genre.
    This and one other review on : http://seaoftranquility.org/reviews....ontent&id=8789

Regards,

Duncan

Ooooh, fun pick!

I only have the most recent two Ihsahn albums, and they are terrific. Will have to hunt this one down as well
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Love the album and the sax work is so Shining-esque it's delicious. I also love the attached review!

As I've probably mentioned 4.239 times before, Ihsahn is a leading voice in Prog Metal, taking the two genres, Prog and Metal in a fantastic direction.
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

the 1 record by Ihsahn I really got into. the sax w/ black metal works.

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    I saw Ihsahn at Maryland Death Fest a couple of years ago. I was very impressed by his set! I got interested in Emperor right as they were calling it quits and was leery of Ihsahn's work because of the Peccatum material I had heard, which was his wife and brother in law shrieking at each other in a bizarrely creepy way, and because the impressions I had of him was of a wannabe vampire goth guy (thanks to video interviews where he talks in ghosty voices and written interviews where he praises Samoth's antics-he was much younger then though). When his brother in law left, I heard what Peccatum should have sounded like with "The Moribund People", which is still one of my favorite songs. While I prefer Undercurrent to this album, I still think After is an excellent album, as is much of Ihsahn's solo work.
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

chalkpie
    I always read positive things about this bloke but never actually heard the tunes. Gonna have to rectumfy that thanks to this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by mnprogger View Post
    the 1 record by Ihsahn I really got into. the sax w/ black metal works.
    Kyle - You must have heard Shining, right? That is the band of the crazy black metal sax guy and it's freakin' awesome!

I tried getting into this guy (bought an album, but can't remember if it was this one or another one). Obviously talented, but was not really my thing.

I believe Ihsahn overcomplicated himself in his ambition to escape from the stylistic confines of the 2nd wave of black metal. None of his albums worked for me, except some parts of "The Adversary". I prefer by far his early EMPEROR days (1993-1997). "In the Nightside Eclipse" is a metal masterpiece.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    I believe Ihsahn overcomplicated himself in his ambition to escape from the stylistic confines of the 2nd wave of black metal. None of his albums worked for me, except some parts of "The Adversary". I prefer by far his early EMPEROR days (1993-1997). "In the Nightside Eclipse" is a metal masterpiece.
    Emperor was genius because he had Samoth to work with (in fact, it was originally Samoth's band). The two were not a simple lead guitar-rhythm guitar presence. While Prometheus is an excellent album, you can detect Samoth's waning participation in it-it was mostly Ihsahn and Trym.
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

Any time Ihsahn's music is brought up here is a good thing. Das Seelenbrechen is my favorite of his solo albums, but After is a really good one too. Jørgen Munkeby is also on the album that follows this one, Eremita.

Me likey. Thanks Duncan

This album and movement, Metal progressing music (Rock), should be getting more attention from this crowd than it is. Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of fans from the Metal, Rock and Experimental worlds that flock to these musicians, I'm just saying in my perfect world this crowd, Original Proggers, would be participating at a higher level.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Eric View Post
    This album and movement, Metal progressing music (Rock), should be getting more attention from this crowd than it is. Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of fans from the Metal, Rock and Experimental worlds that flock to these musicians, I'm just saying in my perfect world this crowd, Original Proggers, would be participating at a higher level.
    Regards,

Duncan

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I like this. Great stuff to clear a room.