Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Travel Thread: Where Do You Like to Get Away

Travel Thread: Where Do You Like to Get Away

In another couple years my wife and I should be in a position to finally start working on that list of places we'd like to see, mostly in the US/Canada/Europe and hopefully NZ/AU. Just curious to hear what's on your list of either great places you've been or great places you'd like to visit.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Places I have been to:

Australia
    New Zealand
    Hawaii
    Switzerland
    Aruba
    and various points in Canada and the USA.

My girlfrined and I are more inclined to stay in Canada. I have visited most of the Maritime provinces but never been west of Winnipeg. I look to remedy that, possibly even this year as we are planning to visit some friends of hers in BC's Okanagan Valley. Last year I went to Aruba. It was my first experience in an all-inclusive resort. Next year I turn 50 and I am planning to hit that milestone on a beach somewhere. Possibly in a place like Barbados.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

I have been to a lot of places.

Places that have really struck me:

- Kenya. Went there two years ago on safari. I was deeply moved by the animals in their native habitat & will never see zoos the same way.

- China. Went there last year, sort of by accident, and had a wonderful time. The people are amazing and the Chinese do things on such a huge scale.

- New York. It's just ... New York.

- And Alaska. I've only been up the coast on a cruise, but I was so impressed that I really want to go back and get to Denali.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

If Canada, I would highly recommend Nova Scotia. It's one of the more diverse places I've been.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I like going to the 1920's through 50's via film noir, particularly crime noir. There are a few USA spots the missus and I want to visit, but we're mainly homebodies.
    2 of those spots are San Francisco, mainly for a Giants home game, and to L.A. to take in the Doors history tour. I anticipate CA may be culture shock for us.

I have not travelled much outside of the U.S. but have been quite a few places within our own country. Of all the vacations we have taken my favorite was Hawaii. I have been to quite a few of the islands in the Caribbean which is nice, but Hawaii is a whole other level. It is truly paradise. We visited 4 different islands and they were all quite different from each other. It is one place I definitely want to get back to someday.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Yosemite
    San Francisco
    Hawaii
    Rural France
    Rural Italy
    A small field in North Yorkshire (but that's just me & my buddies drinking beer)
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

The 4 corners area of the U.S.:
    Southern Colorado ( Durango, Mesa Verde, Black Canyon of the Gunnison ),
    New Mexico ( Taos, Santa Fe, Albuquerque ),
    Southern Utah ( Arches NM, Canyonland, Zion, Grand Staircase )
    Arizona Grand Canyon, etc

Montana, Glacier NP, Yellowstone NP, Beartooth Pass
    Banff Alberta Canada

a couple of trips there
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Anyone ever been to Anguilla? Sounds like the Caribbean without all the tacky tourist/cruise ship dross.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/08/tr...&nlid=25285757
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Places the wife and I have been at least twice, with and without the kids, that we like a lot:

Freeport, Bahamas
    Nassau, Bahamas
    Iceland
    Quebec City (winter and summer)
    Las Vegas
    Ithaca, New York
    Niagara Falls (Canadian side)
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

My favorite place we've been so far is Hawaii. We never left Oahu to see the other islands, but spent most of the week on the North Shore (drove around most of the island though). We were there for a wedding (on a beach) and the whole place left an indelible impression. We want to go back and explore the other islands some day.

Second would be Ocracoke on the Outer Banks of North Carolina. We have some friends that go there every year and rent a house, but in the off season, for a month at a time. They then sort of sublet the other bedrooms out on a weekly basis to other friends and acquaintances. Some other friends of ours got married on the beach there (I sense a theme here) and our friends know some of the local musicians (from folk band Molasses Creek)...and since many in our group play music we had some nice jam sessions. But in general it was really quiet and peaceful there (I understand it's a madhouse in the summer months though).

Our latest trip was to Colorado (hmmm...again in the off season) and it was even more beautiful than I remembered from when I lived there in '75. We want to take more trips Colorado and to other areas out west.
    <sig out of order>

Quebec City is quite high on my list. It looks simply magnificent.

http://www.quebecregion.com/en/

I tour with a band that has taken me places that I might've never gotten to. Within the US, my favorite is Hawaii (Oahu that is; never been to the other islands much as I'd like to, but with the boating restrictions, it's not nearly as easy to island hop as you'd think). Sure, Honolulu is ultra commercial, but between the weather, the beaches and the general vibe, I don't care; I love it! We used to play two gigs there every February and every other year, I'd bring my (not legal, but who needs a contract) wife and we'd stay a couple of extra days. Unfortunately, we haven't played there in the last couple of years and I don't think we'll be back (long story). I miss it!

Savannah, GA was a surprisingly cool city that I'd like to take my lady to someday. You don't want to go there in the summer though (or anywhere in the SE part of the country, for that matter), the humidity is unbearable. And speaking of that region, New Orleans, LA is a blast! Best food in the world afaic. And that's just for starters!

NYC, NY is lots of fun. My home, Chicago is just urban enough for me and I couldn't see myself living in NYC, but I love to visit!

San Diego, CA is a lovely city and the weather is almost (but not quite) as great as Hawaii. I like visiting San Francisco too, although if you're going to be out for the day, you better bring some changes of wardrobe; it's not unusual for the temperature to drop 15 or 20 degrees at night. I lived in Los Angeles for two of the most miserable years of my life and it took me a decade or two to be able to enjoy visiting, but now I do. Still prefer San Diego and San Francisco though.

Least favorite place: Las Vegas. Obviously, plenty of people love it, but as a guy who doesn't gamble, buy sex, can't afford the shows, has no appreciation of uber-glitz and doesn't like dealing with drunks, there's not much there for me. Unfortunately, I play gigs there at least twice a year.

Favorite overseas places I've been: The Netherlands and Rio de Janeiro, Brasil.

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    My favorite place we've been so far is Hawaii. We never left Oahu to see the other islands, but spent most of the week on the North Shore (drove around most of the island though). We were there for a wedding (on a beach) and the whole place left an indelible impression. We want to go back and explore the other islands some day.

Second would be Ocracoke on the Outer Banks of North Carolina. We have some friends that go there every year and rent a house, but in the off season, for a month at a time. They then sort of sublet the other bedrooms out on a weekly basis to other friends and acquaintances. Some other friends of ours got married on the beach there (I sense a theme here) and our friends know some of the local musicians (from folk band Molasses Creek)...and since many in our group play music we had some nice jam sessions. But in general it was really quiet and peaceful there (I understand it's a madhouse in the summer months though).

Our latest trip was to Colorado (hmmm...again in the off season) and it was even more beautiful than I remembered from when I lived there in '75. We want to take more trips Colorado and to other areas out west.
    Agree with all 3 places you mention (see my previous post about Hawaii)

We took a week’s vacation after ProgDay one year and went to the Outer Banks in North Carolina and had a blast. The weather was not that great, but our friends found a little mom and pop hotel right on the beach and since it was after Labor Day the rates were dirt cheap. We were in the Nags Head area, but also went up to Kitty Hawk and drove around quite a bit.

My wife’s sister lives in Boulder Colorado and we have been out there several times. Rocky Mountain National park is awesome. Estes Park is a cool little town to stay in right at the foot of the mountains.

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post

NYC, NY is lots of fun. My home, Chicago is just urban enough for me and I couldn't see myself living in NYC, but I love to visit!

San Diego, CA is a lovely city and the weather is almost (but not quite) as great as Hawaii. I like visiting San Francisco too, although if you're going to be out for the day, you better bring some changes of wardrobe; it's not unusual for the temperature to drop 15 or 20 degrees at night. I lived in Los Angeles for two of the most miserable years of my life and it took me a decade or two to be able to enjoy visiting, but now I do. Still prefer San Diego and San Francisco though.

Least favorite place: Las Vegas. Obviously, plenty of people love it, but as a guy who doesn't gamble, buy sex, can't afford the shows, has no appreciation of uber-glitz and doesn't like dealing with drunks, there's not much there for me. Unfortunately, I play gigs there at least twice a year.

Vegas is one of those places people either totally love or totally hate. Personally I love it and have been there many times, but I know a lot of people who have the exact opposite reaction.

I live within a two hour drive of Chicago and we occasionally spend a weekend there (go to the occasional concert there as well). It is a very cool city, with lots to do and see.

Spent a week in San Diego and San Francisco as well. To be honest San Fran did not do that much for me. It was extremely expensive and I had some not so great experiences with some of the natives there. I liked San Diego a lot better, although another expensive place to vacation.

I discovered Newfoundland in 2013...went back last year and planning on doing the same this year. This is North America's best kept secret. Can't get enough of the place.

http://www.newfoundlandlabrador.com/
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Agree with all 3 places you mention (see my previous post about Hawaii)

We took a week’s vacation after ProgDay one year and went to the Outer Banks in North Carolina and had a blast. The weather was not that great, but our friends found a little mom and pop hotel right on the beach and since it was after Labor Day the rates were dirt cheap. We were in the Nags Head area, but also went up to Kitty Hawk and drove around quite a bit.

My wife’s sister lives in Boulder Colorado and we have been out there several times. Rocky Mountain National park is awesome. Estes Park is a cool little town to stay in right at the foot of the mountains.
    We were in Ocracoke in November a couple years ago. It was quite cold and windy at times, but very serene. We also had access to ocean kayaking about 50 feet from the house where we were staying which was fun.

We didn't quite make it up to Rocky Mountain Nation Park. We had flown into Denver and from there took a nice ride through the mountains on Route 285 through my previous home town of Conifer over Kenosha Pass then onto Route 24 through Woodland Park, etc. on our way to CO Springs for a couple days. Then we checked out stuff around Canon City, Salida, Leadville, a couple days in Dillon right near the reservoir, and the last day was in Denver visiting a fellow prog fan.

Dillon was beautiful, but we were thankful it was in the off season since it's apparently at the epicenter of a few ski areas. The staff at the hotel and restaurants acted like they were shell shocked from dealing with arrogant rich people, so I was glad not to have to run into any of 'em.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by adap2it View Post
    I discovered Newfoundland in 2013...went back last year and planning on doing the same this year. This is North America's best kept secret. Can't get enough of the place.

Beautiful place!
    <sig out of order>

My wife and I are on the cusp of semi-retirement. The girls are in college and we are pseudo-empty nesters now, so have the time and resources to travel a bit. Here's some of the places we have been in the last few years. We live on Long Island, so often go into the NYC for plays (and work).

Cancun & Playa del Carmen - 2 timeshares, which we use to swap for other vacation locations as well as visiting Mexico

several Caribbean islands - usual beach vacations

Epic trip 2 summers ago from Phoenix, to Sedona, to the Grand Canyon, to Zion, to Bryce Canyon, to Salt Lake City, to Park City - 17 days and tons of memories with the kids

California, visiting Yosemite and Sequoia national parks - with the kids

Just got back from New Orleans - without the kids and for the start of the Mardi Gras season, an experience for sure

Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Upstate New York (Finger Lakes), Pennsylvania - all great places to camp, hike, experience at various times of the year

North and South Carolina - for golf and to scope out retirement homes, in the near future hopefully

Hawaii - for our honeymoon and a second vacation - no place like it

Canada, Austria - for skiing back before marriage

On the bucket list:

New Zealand
    Italy
    France
    Fiords
    more national parks (before we get too old to hike them)
    Colarado
    more California locations
    Oregon coast
    Alaska - the wife and kids were there without me, but she wants to take me back
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by adap2it View Post

Fully agree! I went in 2009. We flew into St-John's and rented a vehicle. We only visited the Avalon Peninsula but it was fantastic! There were places where it felt like my girlfriend and I were only two living humans on Earth. I need to get back there.

Another favorite is Prince Edward Island. I've never been anywhere where I have eaten better on a consistent basis.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    Fully agree! I went in 2009. We flew into St-John's and rented a vehicle. We only visited the Avalon Peninsula but it was fantastic! There were places where it felt like my girlfriend and I were only two living humans on Earth. I need to get back there.

I know what you mean...and considering that the Avalon is the most populated area of Newfoundland, that's quite a statement. Yes, you must return, there are so many beautiful places to visit and so many wonderful people (and music too)

Another favorite is Prince Edward Island. I've never been anywhere where I have eaten better on a consistent basis.
    I have been to PEI too, most of Canada...BC & the Rockies are the only place to rival NFLD for scenery...
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    Weirdly, though I don't gamble, buy sex, can't afford more than one show in a visit, and don't even much drink myself let alone like dealing with drunks ... I like LV. To me, it's like Disneyland for adults. (Insert generic defense of Disneyland here.)

Can't believe I forgot to mention New Orleans ...

Bucket list includes Rome, Australia, New Zealand, and a NO Mardi Gras.

Vegas does have some of the best people watching in the US, especially at night when the casinos are humming. I haven't been there for years but I was pleasantly surprised how the quality of the restaurants had ramped up at the casinos. At the time, only LA and NYC had more four star restaurants than Vegas. We stumbled upon an outpost of Wolfgang Puck's just off the main casino at Ceasar's and had one of the best meals of my life.

A couple of years ago my wife and I made a trek to Yellowstone. Neither of us had been there for decades and frankly had forgotten how magnificent it is. If you stay at the lodge at Old Faithful there's a tour bus that leaves before dawn. The driver knows all the good spots for photographing animals. And standing at the edge of the Lower Falls is still one of the most breath-taking views in North America.