Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Wakeman, Anderson, Howe & Bruford - s/t

The Hors D'oeuvre of the Universe.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottAM View Post
    I think the Bruford/Levin duet was a highlight. For those that saw ABWH with Levin, not Berlin.
    Yeah, I saw them at the Greek, with Berlin on bass. Hence no Bruford/Levin duet.

Saw them with Levin-great show. Trying to remember the duet and... its been too long.

I do remember Jon stopping over half way thru the show and asked for requests. He listened very carefully and sincerely and many were yelling 'Heart of the Sunrise', so he asked if that was what people wanted to hear most of all, and given the cheers, they played it. Granted, it was in the playlist anyway, but I still thought it was kind of cool.

My other highlight is when Jon said, 'here's music of another time...', and went into 'And You And I'.

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    For all the criticisms of this album, many of which I agree with, I ask myself, "why do I like this album better than any Yes-related project released since Drama?" (The possible exception being Howe's Turbulence, which suffers from many of the same problems as ABWH).

I have two answers. The first is the rhythms. Yes, the drum sounds suck, but the rhythmic approach is a breath of fresh air in a sea of neo-disco. At least it was to me at the time, and to some degree still is true. Electronic drums or no, Bruford breathed life into this stuff, and that still shines through despite the awful 80s sounds. It separates this music from 90125 and other YesWest stuff in my mind.

The second aspect is ambition. Is it 70s ambition? No. But at least it at times nods substantially in that direction. Again, a breath of fresh air in a time when it seemed that music was getting more and more packaged to suit the mainstream pop sensibilities. This album, flawed as it was, at least acknowledged that there was something more to Yes' sound than what we got from 90125 and Big Generator.

It resonated with me then, and despite all my instincts to the contrary, it still does. To me, it's a shame they couldn't maintain this quality level on subsequent albums.

Bill
    Good points, Bill. Again, with better, less-dated sounds, this would have been better-received, IMO. But the actual playing by Bruford demonstrates how he out-classes White in just about every way. And it's nice hearing a little bite in Howe's tone at times. I'm not saying that this is a classic album or anything, but the awful sounds do it no favors.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by iguana View Post
    That's actually not bad until the vocals start. I wonder if anyone who likes those vocals has a problem with cookie monster vocals, because I find cookie monster vocals preferable to that.

Overall though, it's not much of a song or piece of music, so unless it's not a good example, if they have a problem with ABWH I don't know what it is, since ABWH is much better than them. Maybe they like ABWH? Or Yes?

I actually think I remember The Dead Milkmen from a pretty long time ago, and might even have bought one of their albums in the 80s, unless I'm remembering wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    But the actual playing by Bruford demonstrates how he out-classes White in just about every way. And it's nice hearing a little bite in Howe's tone at times.
    Not with you on these Scott

I don't know how about who is better, but for Yes I like 70's White more, (although when I listen to 73/74 Crimso I sometimes wonder what BB would have done with Tales / Relayer).

Live, 74-80 White was incredible

As to ABWH, the e-drums are an albatross, obviously, but I don't find Steve's playing particularly inspired either

I realize I'm in the minority on this but I was disappointed in the tour as well

Opening with 45 minutes of solos was a really bad idea - live Yes always had a kick in the ass opener, (Khatru, Parallels, Soundchaser) and for me this was a major fail

A high energy Khatru would have been the call, or even Close to the Edge

Not big on the machine gun riff BB repeated, nor Levin's stick fingers : )

I found the Masterworks tour a far more satisfying Renaissance!

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

Oddly enough the ABHW studio record was my introduction to the Yes universe. I bought it out of curiosity, being vaguely familiar with Yes history. I liked the artwork very much at the time. I liked some of the music, but I nearly had a heart attack when I heard Teakbois. I had to stop it before the end. Health comes first.
    Last edited by Interstellar; 02-16-2015 at 08:44 AM.

Seeing ABWH live with Levin was a highlight for me for sure.. They were so tight that night.. love the video (sans the drumstick cam)..

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    ...with better, less-dated sounds, this would have been better-received, IMO...
    Possibly. I'm not sure it would have made a super difference in terms of sales at the time of release, but the reception among older fans who bought the album might have been better. I think most understood that that was what Bruford was into at the time, and that was what you were going to get. Honestly, when I first heard it I was more jarred by Howe's tone, which sounded like he recorded it through a Rockman (which I think he did).

In retrospect, though, it's the electronic drums, particularly the snare, that have just dated very badly, and become the most obvious target now. Ironic that probably the best playing on the album is marred in such a way. So there's no doubt, in the end the sound choices have done this album no favors, and most who like it to some extent (like me), look past those features to the underlying music that at times is quite inspired (imo).

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Griffin View Post
    I realize I'm in the minority on this but I was disappointed in the tour as well

Opening with 45 minutes of solos was a really bad idea - live Yes always had a kick in the ass opener, (Khatru, Parallels, Soundchaser) and for me this was a major fail
    I can see how you say this. I liked the idea of the intro, introducing each individual player, but I'd say it went on a bit too long. It didn't ruin things for me, though. Once they kicked in with the full band I thought the show pretty much rocked from that point forward. I also liked the Masterworks tour, and I liked the final tour with Anderson, which will probably stand as my final Yes concert. I'd put ABWH largely on par with these experiences, and I was pleased how much of the ABWH material they played and how good it sounded live.

Bill

It gave you a lot of time to spark up. That's the best I can say about it though - I agree it was an awkward start. Especially since I really don't like The Clap.

Not with you on these Scott

I don't know how about who is better, but for Yes I like 70's White more, (although when I listen to 73/74 Crimso I sometimes wonder what BB would have done with Tales / Relayer).

Live, 74-80 White was incredible

As to ABWH, the e-drums are an albatross, obviously, but I don't find Steve's playing particularly inspired either
    Well, we'll disagree, then. I'm not much of a White fan at all, and Bruford is an all-time great for me. Regarding Howe, I'm only talking about his tone, which isn't as wimpy here as it would later become. His actual playing has high points and low points.

A high energy Khatru would have been the call, or even Close to the Edge
    I can see how you say this. I liked the idea of the intro, introducing each individual player, but I'd say it went on a bit too long. It didn't ruin things for me, though. Once they kicked in with the full band I thought the show pretty much rocked from that point forward. I also liked the Masterworks tour, and I liked the final tour with Anderson, which will probably stand as my final Yes concert. I'd put ABWH largely on par with these experiences, and I was pleased how much of the ABWH material they played and how good it sounded live.

Bill
    I think the idea was to spotlight each individual member, building up intensity as they went along. I didn't have a problem with it, but I understand the criticism and I'm glad that they haven't always done it this way.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    It gave you a lot of time to spark up.
    Perhaps if it was at the Garden!

The first ABWH show I saw was at Nassau Coliseum, and I had few friends get busted there at concerts, and I wasn't chancing it

We got it together on the way, but by the time the playing as a band kicked in, the edge was of

Memories of old days

So this inspired me to play the DVD

The picture quality is VHS level, sound is stereo only, in other words typical Voiceprint "quality"

As much crap as BB takes for his "sounds" on this album and tour, I'm reminded that Wakeman was just as bad!

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    You don't like "Fist of Fire"? ABWH is a very good (not quite great) album, but the concert was outfuknstanding.
    Agree---love 3/4 of the album which is not bad for a post 70's Yes album. And it was thrilling to see Bill play with the guys again---

Perhaps if it was at the Garden!
    It was.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    It was.
    Nassau was 8/89, the Garden was the last show of the tour March 90

BG

I mean it was at the Garden when I saw them. I didn't even know about the other show. Didn't realize I saw the last show of the tour.

In retrospect, though, it's the electronic drums, particularly the snare, that have just dated very badly, and become the most obvious target now.
    Maybe Jon can get someone in to overdub acoustic drums and re-release the album.

I didn't mind the solo intros myself. I thought it was a unique idea which I'm not sure if anyone had done before. The tour was better than the album. And it was nice to see these guys together again at the time.