Thread: Is Kansas working on a new studio album?

Is Kansas working on a new studio album?

The only reason I ask this is because on their Wikipedia page it says TBA (2015)under studio albums. I have not seen anything else to indicate this online though and it's not mentioned on their website under news.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

They are open to it now that they have a new lineup, but nothing has started or been written in stone. Right now their focus is that great new documentary that is about to be released about them.

No.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

can't believe that Somewhere To Elsewhere came out almost 15 years ago. how time flies.
    if they have good material, i'm open for a new Kansas album.
    i haven't heard the new singer yet, but if he can write all the better.
    perhaps an 'Always Never The Same II' would be an idea. some new songs, covers and old classics
    with an orchestra.

perhaps an 'Always Never The Same II' would be an idea. some new songs, covers and old classics
    with an orchestra.
    God please no.

STE was a hell of an album. Not sure what they'd produce today without Steve and/or Kerry writing the songs. I'd be happy if they did something like Freaks Of Nature again. If they do record another album (I'll believe when I see it) I'll wait until I've read all the reviews here before I buy it. Really, I just can't imagine Kansas without Steve Walsh at this point. I mean, even if his voice is shot, he could still play keyboards and write songs.

It's entirely possible that Kerry would be happy to contribute to the writing process. Just have to see I suppose...

Well if YES can do what they have been doing without Jon or Rick then so can Kansas. I refuse to believe that Kansas doesn't have at least one more album in them. There must be some songs written by them(if not recorded) since their last album almost 15 years ago.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    I think I'd like to see them release another album if it would be as good as StE. Native Window was too country rock to pass for a prog album - not that Kansas didn't use to portray a strong heartland influence in their writing, its just that It needed the flair that Kerry's writing brought.

As a really great fan of Kansas if would love another great Album.

But I don't see this to be. You should rather live with what you got than putting out something totally disgraceful
    like the last YES Album.

I also don't need something like another Native Window album under the Kansas flag, not that it was terrible at all
    it just ain't Kansas by any means.

I'm also not really impressed by the new vocalist, who is just to average to hold up to Steve or John.

Without Walsh, and if Livgren isn't interested, who would write the material? Nearly all of their material has been written by those two with a few contributions by Morse, Elafonte and Ragsdale.

Sorry I don't have the link, but in a recent interview (last couple of weeks?) linked in a Kansas tweet, Phil stated they will be recording a new studio album with Platt. He said all the things I wished he would have thought the last several years -it was about the art, etc. Didn't care how it would hold up to the "classics," just wants to get material out with this line up and see what they can do. Based on comments by other band members about new material it sure seems like Walsh was 100% against recording any new material - or maybe just singing material written by Greer/Ragsdale?

I would think - and hope - that Livgren's presence would be felt from a songwriting perspective on this new disc. As much as the loss of Walsh has bummed me out, I loved the Native Window record so IF Livgren has some involvement maybe the Kansas story has a few more chapter's left.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    I thought Walsh was very clear on no longer wanting to write. And as much as his writing would be welcomed, I'm one of those guys that haven't been able to compartmentalize his vocals much past In The Spirit of Things.

I found a really good interview with Phil Ehart - just posted a few days ago - where he talks about the documentary, the legacy of the band, and yes - a new album:

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/kansas-interview-2015/

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    No.
    Hopefully this will tide you over:

Last edited by JKL2000; 02-09-2015 at 09:27 AM.