Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Regal Worm

Regal Worm

So I just stumbled onto them on bandcamp at 4am this morning. Hey! This is some super music! Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Phlakaton View Post
    So I just stumbled onto them on bandcamp at 4am this morning. Hey! This is some super music! Thoughts?
    Have the disc, haven't spun it yet.

It's a very nice album.

I'll check it out.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I have the first one. I like it.

I haven't seen the second one yet.

Should have posted a link. Sorry peoples.

https://regalworm.bandcamp.com/album...-of-big-suites

I've been through this one three times today - it's growing into another heavy repeater album for me already. Lots going on.

Sounds good !

Both albums are very adventurous progressive, the last one with lesser jazz-elements.

Jarrod Gosling also played the Mellotron on the last Henry Fool. He's also one of the members of The Skywatchers.

And of course he's a well known producer.

http://regalworm.com/Hail.html

Wow! I wasn't familiar with this 'band'. Sounds great!

VERY good ones indeed! i expecially like the first tune of this last album, soo good!
    Jarrod Gosling made some guest appaerance on the upcoming Homunculus Res, canterburian band from Italy.
    Looking forward to listen to what he brought to their music.
    More of these!

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Have the disc, haven't spun it yet.
    Finally spun the first album 'Use And Ornament' tonight, and I recommend it highly. It is very inventive, melodic and uses a wide sonic palette. There are a lot of woodwinds on this album, which normally would not be a plus for me, but they're not used in a, shall we say, "traditional" way, being used mostly for texture. Vocals take a back seat, and although the female vocals are very good, it's the long instrumental passages where this album really shines, and there are plenty of them. Yeah, there's a strange song about an aunt changing into an ant, but musically it's very good. They don't sound like anyone else to me, although that may be to my not having heard enough Avant bands. I would expect this to appeal to both Avant and Symphonic/Chamber fans. Based on a first listen, it's one of the best modern Progressive Rock releases I've heard, not quite on a Nerve Institute level, but at least in the ballpark. Very, very recommended.

I still can't make my mind up about this one ' Neither Use nor Ornament' - I've had it about six weeks and although I can appreciate how clever the one guy is to play all those instruments, somehow it doesn't quite click with me. Some of the vocal parts are bit too repetitive for my liking, but it's very inventive and doen't stay still for long. At first I thought it sounded a bit Canterbury but they I kept hearing bits that reminded my of Godley and Creme and now maybe just its own style. This thread has made me stick it on again and it sounds better today. maybe it will grow on me, maybe it will take a little editing to get it perfect, we'll see..

I ordered 'Neither Use Nor Ornament' last night after hearing the first one.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Looks like a somewhat unique configuration: two nearly 20 min tracks with three short tracks sandwiched in between. I'm sure some of our Prog originators paved the way for that. Listening now and it sounds great! Mellow Tron and other nice sounds. Can't go wrong! Bless the younguns who embrace Prog roots!

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Goddamn this is great! Not sure what version to order though. What's the bestest/mostest physical set? The one with the licorice allsorts?

I come back to all his albums quite a lot. He really has a full bodied lush sound going on - especially in the latest - Neither Use Nor Ornament

Should have posted a link. Sorry peoples.

https://regalworm.bandcamp.com/album...-of-big-suites

I've been through this one three times today - it's growing into another heavy repeater album for me already. Lots going on.
    Fantastic stuff, like a cross between early Clearlake and the NSRO with a touch of Knifeworld

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Goddamn this is great! Not sure what version to order though. What's the bestest/mostest physical set? The one with the licorice allsorts?
    I got the one with the licorice allsorts, a while back. Quite nice!

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    Both albums are very adventurous progressive, the last one with lesser jazz-elements.

Jarrod Gosling also played the Mellotron on the last Henry Fool. He's also one of the members of The Skywatchers.

And of course he's a well known producer.

http://regalworm.com/Hail.html
    Jarrod is also a member of I Monster, that just made a new album "Bright Sparks", a concept album in which every tune features a classic instrument (read: Mellotron, Moog, etc.)
    I guess this one was also mentioned in the New releases-thread.

Having listened to both Regal Worm discs, I have to say that I prefer Use And Ornament to Neither Use Nor Ornament, and by some margin. The 2nd is still worth picking up, but the first is top shelf.

Worms are good. I got the Neither Use nor Ornament box as a gift over a year ago. I liked it well enough after the first few listens but then something suddenly clicked and it became my most listened to album in 2015. For me it became one of those albums that revealed something new with each listen. Gosling has also designed album covers including Henry Fool and Tim Bowness. A new Regal Worm CD is to be released this year called Pig Views apparently.

Banned
    I suggested Regal Worm for progarchives back in March 2013: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/fo....asp?TID=92509

I like them.

Quote Originally Posted by blusterbox studio View Post
    Worms are good. I got the Neither Use nor Ornament box as a gift over a year ago. I liked it well enough after the first few listens but then something suddenly clicked and it became my most listened to album in 2015. For me it became one of those albums that revealed something new with each listen. Gosling has also designed album covers including Henry Fool and Tim Bowness. A new Regal Worm CD is to be released this year called Pig Views apparently.
    Gosling told me he's very much inspired by the covers of Marcus Keef.

Especially this Black Sabbath-cover:

576x576x2.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    Jarrod is also a member of I Monster, that just made a new album "Bright Sparks", a concept album in which every tune features a classic instrument (read: Mellotron, Moog, etc.)
    I guess this one was also mentioned in the New releases-thread.
    There's a documentary about making the new I Monster album "Bright Sparks":

http://brightsparks.movie/

Recommended for lovers of the Buchla, Moog, ARP, Chamberlin, Mellotron, Putney, etc.