Thread: ALABAMA SHAKES

ALABAMA SHAKES

Anybody else besides the old man who understands perfectly why this band in a short amount of time is popular enough to basically have a world tour booked for 2015 (The Americas (not just North America), Europe, and Australia/New Z)?

I'll be there when they play in Madison next month and will wind up going alone (the only other person who "got" this band in my Madison universe was Kay), and if I'm not the only one here who appreciates this band, and especially the kick-ass, soulful Brittany Howard, the tour schedule is up on www.alabamashakes.com.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

They are pretty cool if you are into blues rock.

When their tune comes on the radio I like to sing, "Come On Brittany, get your big old booty up and hooooooold on!"

Interestingly, I've never been a huge blues rock fan (except Savoy Brown, early F Mac & Mayall), but that woman just "has it".
    Last edited by progeezer; 02-03-2015 at 06:01 PM.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

Huh. Savoy Brown, early F Mac & Mayall are the blues rock artists (along with Indigenous) that I like. I didn't know, by the title of the thread I thought there was a big earthquake down south there, but I should check these guys (and gal) out.

I am far from an expert on them, but have seen the concert they show on Palladia (or maybe Axis) from time to time. Also saw their SNL appearance and some other festival appearances that they show on TV. They certainly have something that separates them from the blues rock pack. They are not really doing anything new or innovative, but there is something about Brittany that draws you to her. I have contemplated picking up their album, but have not so far. Not a band that I would travel for, but if they came to my hometown I would probably check them out.

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post

Interestingly, I've never been a huge blues rock fan (except Savoy Brown, early F Mac & Mayall), but that woman just "has it".
    She sure does. she's a force of nature along the lines of Jimi or Janis or SRV. lofty praise, I know, but i'm dead serious; she earns it.
    Last edited by davis; 02-04-2015 at 09:13 AM.

Force of Nature indeed. I'll never get to see them live but Brit is the real deal.

In the same vein, there's Trampled Under Foot

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Anybody else besides the old man who understands perfectly why this band in a short amount of time is popular enough to basically have a world tour booked for 2015 (The Americas (not just North America), Europe, and Australia/New Z)?

I'll be there when they play in Madison next month and will wind up going alone (the only other person who "got" this band in my Madison universe was Kay), and if I'm not the only one here who appreciates this band, and especially the kick-ass, soulful Brittany Howard, the tour schedule is up on www.alabamashakes.com.
    Didn't they do an Austin City Limits not to far back?
    The older I get, the better I was.

Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    Yup!

Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    Yes, I think that is the concert that I have seen on TV.

Resurrected this because I saw "The Shakes" (they call themselves that) earlier tonight.

This band is f*****g serious! They played most of their not yet released 2nd album, and while they did play a few uptempo kickass type tunes, their new album is perceptibly more soulful blues.

Brittany defies description. She's that f*****g good! Until I saw them tonight, I really didn't know the parameters of her range. Holy merde!

Interestingly (& disappointingly for me), they didn't play "Hooooold On". I'm sure they're much more excited about their new material, but that was the only downer for me.

I agree with Davis's Janis Joplin reference, but Brittany, while still soulful as hell, is technically more sound as a vocalist than JJ was (and I loved Big Brother-JJ's solo stuff not so much).

I wasn't comparing Brit and Janis's singing, but their 'force of nature' quality. I'd love to see AS in person. Just pre-ordered their new CD.

as far as blues rock I'm a big fan of SRV and George Thorogood and other modern bands. I also love the old bluesmen. Wolf, Waters, Hooker, James, Robert Johnson, Sony Boy Williamson, etc. I'm a big fan of stoner rock/metal, which is all blues based.
    Last edited by davis; 03-18-2015 at 07:33 AM.

Just played Milwaukee.
    The older I get, the better I was.

My wife just won tickets for the two of us to go see them.. I had never heard of them..

Quote Originally Posted by happytheman View Post
    My wife just won tickets for the two of us to go see them.. I had never heard of them..
    I'd be curious to hear what someone who's never heard them thinks after the concert.

I'd be curious to hear what someone who's never heard them thinks after the concert.
    I'll keep you posted.. I don't even know when they are to perform in our area..

Alabama Shakes are streaming live on youtube from Coachella as I write this (about 11PM on Friday night). I am at work so only listening to the feed, but these guys are really good. I don’t like everything that they do, but some of it is great. Very talented bunch.

I've always admired her talent---Heard them on my car radio on a hipster station today and I do like them---the song I don't want to fight has a big funky sound---that is contagious---and very creative.