Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Jethro Tull, Minstrel in The Gallery expanded and remixed in April.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Neither. It was Dick van Dyke.
    Great! He's the only person with a deep enough understanding of prog to handle this. As long as he doesn't trip over the ottoman.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Great! He's the only person with a deep enough understanding of prog to handle this. As long as he doesn't trip over the ottoman.
    Can't wait for the 5.1 remix of "Bupkis."

Quote Originally Posted by Sunhillow View Post
    Well, that's one opinion. Mine is rather the reversed:

Let's kidnap Steven Wilson, and make 10 clones out of him. Put these 9 into slavery and let them remaster and remix the entire progressive rock output from 1968 onward, and bring it in a much faster tempo to our impatient hands!
    I would just make them do my yard work, snow shoveling , housework, etc.

I'm with Sunhillow

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Can't wait for the 5.1 remix of "Bupkis."
    And a Dum-Dums reunion tour!

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Neither. It was Dick van Dyke.
    I'd settle for a twenty minute video compilation of Mary in her capri pants. You know, the ones that Carl Reiner said the censors got all uncomfortable with.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I'd settle for a twenty minute video compilation of Mary in her capri pants. You know, the ones that Carl Reiner said the censors got all uncomfortable with.
    On a loop. Hang out the Do Not Disturb sign.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Glad I can help

My big beef, as I said, was predominately with the drum sound/bass guitar, along with some rather "interesting" delays, FX, etc on the vocals at various points on the album ("One White Duck"??). It has bugged me since day one when I first got this record, which was my second Tull album after Thick. I also love Barre's guitar(s) and the tones he got here, and agree on the Hammond sounds. The acoustic guitars even sound really nice.

But when Barlow kicks in on "Minstrel" at 2:28 - I dunno man - I personally find the drum/bass track seriously lacking. I think the bass drum is weak and those tom rolls just have no presence whatsoever.
    Your ears don't lie. It sounds crappy. Too bad, 'cause it's a great tune.

Look. it sounds like what they sounded like. It's a very warm and accurate recording of the drum sound Barrie chose and the guitar sound Martin chose, etc. Your beef is with those guys. And Ian, if you don't like his vocal sound (I love it.) And SW is going to basically recreate the same mix aesthetic like he always does. He's not going to retrigger the drums or something.

chalkpie
    ^ betcha $0.07 that SW shines this turd up, at least a little.

I'm not buying the shined up turd. I'm satisfied with Passion Play and Warchild.

Nothing about Minstrel's original mix ever struck me as being 'bad'. This is one of those rare times where you and I shall disagree, Frank!

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    Nothing about Minstrel's original mix ever struck me as being 'bad'. This is one of those rare times where you and I shall disagree, Frank!
    All part of a healthy relationship

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    Maybe not the mix, but the dynamics are squashed on the CD. It doesn't breathe.

Quote Originally Posted by grego View Post
    I'll take it) The flute parts sounds without Anderson's breath, like some synthesizer "flute" option.
    I have no SW remixes. But, if this is any indication of his approach, then count me out. Is he also obsessed with noise reduction in quiet segments, to the point that all of the life is sucked out of them?
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    On a loop. Hang out the Do Not Disturb sign.
    Boner-Be-Gone:

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    I have no SW remixes. But, if this is any indication of his approach, then count me out. Is he also obsessed with noise reduction in quiet segments, to the point that all of the life is sucked out of them?
    Nope. Noise reduction ruined the 25th Anniversary version of Aqualung though ...

I really recommend you listen to some of his work yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Flang View Post
    I really recommend you listen to some of his work yourself.
    Well, Relayer at least.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    Well, Relayer at least.
    Yup. I'm quite fond of Aqualung remix too, especially when compared to the previous CD edition, altough i wish that the actual mastering would have been better.
    But whether one likes or loathes SW's remixes is just a matter of taste, therefore i wouldn't make up my mind about them by what i read on this or any internet forum.

I have no SW remixes. But, if this is any indication of his approach, then count me out.
    If you haven't got any by now you've pretty much counted yourself out.

Quote Originally Posted by Sordel View Post
    If you haven't got any by now you've pretty much counted yourself out.
    Really? I can't be content without buying more copies of albums I already have?
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Really? I can't be content without buying more copies of albums I already have?
    No. You have to keep buying the same old things over and over again. Especially when they're re-mixed to sound worse. That's how you prove yourself as a prog fan in the 2010's.

chalkpie

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    No. You have to keep buying the same old things over and over again. Especially when they're re-mixed to sound worse. That's how you prove yourself as a prog fan in the 2010's.
    I love how you generalize your opinion as fact for every single album the guy has touched, as well as belittling every person that has purchased one of these remixes. I personally would love to hear specific references A/B'ing the original mixes with SW mixes complete with tracking times and detailed notes. So if you're so confident his mixes are pure dogshit, this should be quite easy, no?