Thread: Mike Rutherford's Masterpiece: "Halfway There"

WeatherWiseCDC

Mike Rutherford's Masterpiece: "Halfway There"

Indisputably the best thing Mike Rutherford has done, "Halfway There" is a life-changing composition. With such masterful lyrics as, "Are you running away? 'Cause I'm in love with you; there's nothing you can do. I'm in love with you" and "Make up your mind; make it up your mind," the song explores Mike's inner demons as he struggles through an introspective journey to capture the love of his beloved Cadbury Fruit & Nut. He watches hopelessly as the candy bar reciprocates the love that everyone around him has for it, but he can only get halfway there.

This is the greatest achievement of one Michael J. C. C. Rutherford; it is his magnum opus.

Poor Mike.
    Last edited by WeatherWiseCDC; 02-03-2015 at 04:46 AM.

The Zenith of the music video artform too

If he'd have picked one of these the whole thing might never have happened.

Attached Images Attached Images
    What if the Hokey Cokey really IS what it's all about?

Quote Originally Posted by SuperTed View Post
    If he'd have picked one of these the whole thing might never have happened.

Ah Bar Six - Cadbury's pretender attempted to usurp the mighty Kit Kat, but was foiled as it seemed the only places that actually sold them were railway station vending machines, and they always tasted like they'd been in there since 1957. Which they had.

Dang, why the hate for this song? It's better than plenty of crap that came out in the 80s...

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    Dang, why the hate for this song? It's better than plenty of crap that came out in the 80s...
    Not really.

I think I remember a giant coin rolling along the ground from the video.

On par with Banks' "This Is Love" video, for sure!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Oh, those "vocals."

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    Oh, I quite like the song. I even don't overly mind the vocals - at least he tried, bless 'im!

I just like wafer and chocolate-based confectionary and felt this was the apposite thread to espouse those feelings.

the vocals sound like Peter Gabriel a little bit.

Utterly inspiring. So moved now to compose my own magnum opus, a 45-minute extravaganza devoted to the beloved Turbo Truffle. Specifically the 'Hot Rod Hazelnut' flavor. Although perhaps I should include all 8 flavors in 8 specific movements. Certainly, the 'Cosmic Coconut', as well as the 'Coffee Craze' and 'Toffee Tornado' flavors deserve their own movements as well. Of course, the caffeine in those truffles help one with movements of their own in the morning...

Quote Originally Posted by timmy View Post
    the vocals sound like Peter Gabriel a little bit.
    He's definitely going for the PG sound, but there is just something very viscerally displeasing about Rutherford's voice. I couldn't get past 1:08.

I think Mike has a pretty cool voice- until he goes for the high notes. That's when it falls apart. If he kept his stuff in his range he'd be fine. PG was capable of sounding a lot more annoying in the early days. He had enough personality to make his lack of range cool somehow though.

Something had to be in the water classic proggers were drinking in the early '80s:

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Peter Gabriel's Masterpiece: That'll Do, Pig

I think he has an OK voice, kind of like Gabriel. I've heard much worse prog vocalist.

In fairness to Rutherford, he did realize his mistake and formed a band with much better vocalists a couple of years later.

And yeah, that Wakeman track where he does the vocals....pretty awful.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Been decades since I've heard this, but I bet if I gave it a listen there'd be something on it I would like. I do recall not caring for 'Hideaway', but I seem to recall the title track being kind of decent?

Quote Originally Posted by Proglodite View Post
    Something had to be in the water classic proggers were drinking in the early '80s:

Jeez, I'd forgotten about Wakey's Rock'n'roll Prophet album. what a lot of psuedo Buggles that was. First time I can recall seeing this video too. It suits the song very well - both cringeworthy

Fuckin' hell - that Wakey song makes Halfway There sound like Supper's Ready!