Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Porcupine Tree - Fear of a Blank Planet

Quote Originally Posted by member View Post
    Riverside are absolutely awesome and have not made a bad album.
    Millenium also fabulous
    Satellite
    Collage
    Abraxas
    Albion
    Amaryllis
    Quidam
    Believe
    Moon Rise
    Strawberry Fields

go; enjoy.
    Perhaps you should point out that practically ALL of these bands are essentially so-called "neo-prog" (metal quotient give or take) groups whose stylistic approach covers some 1/10 of what is usually considered as constituting progressive rock music today?
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Perhaps you should point out that practically ALL of these bands are essentially so-called "neo-prog" (metal quotient give or take) groups whose stylistic approach covers some 1/10 of what is usually considered as constituting progressive rock music today?
    For instance, the hyped Riverside is a poor man's simplified mix of styles of Porcupine Tree and Opeth. Just my humble opinion.
    Yes, Collage and Satellite are "so-called neo-prog", but IMHO each of them made an album that beats entire discographies of many hyped neo-prog heroes.

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    Agreed. Better only than The Incident.
    Agreed as well. I thought I'm the only one with this opinion here!
    The Incident is their most over-hyped, IMHO.
    As of the subject, I quite liked it when it just came in. recently I listened to it again after a long break (I have DVD-A version of it), and I found it solid and well done, but lacking of deep. Besides, problems of 13-15 years old kids are a bit far away from me, 50+ years old geezer...

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by Booba Kastorsky View Post
    Agreed as well. I thought I'm the only one with this opinion here!
    The Incident is their most over-hyped, IMHO.
    As of the subject, I quite liked it when it just came in. recently I listened to it again after a long break (I have DVD-A version of it), and I found it solid and well done, but lacking of deep. Besides, problems of 13-15 years old kids are a bit far away from me, 50+ years old geezer...
    I can actually appreciate Wilson's cautionary tale about children's societal disengagement being directed at parents, but my problem with FoaBP is that this is when I sensed the sameness creeping into his music from song to song (which seems to carry over into his solo stuff as well). The whole album is a blur to me with no one song sticking out in my mind. This, when other PT albums before it have such diversity from track to track and individual songs that stuck with me beyond listening sessions. Not saying Steven's solo albums haven't their moments but they haven't been as satisfying to me as the last really great PT album, In Absentia. I rate Deadwing higher than any of Wilson's solo stuff.

For instance, the hyped Riverside is a poor man's simplified mix of styles of Porcupine Tree and Opeth. Just my humble opinion.
    Yes, Collage and Satellite are "so-called neo-prog", but IMHO each of them made an album that beats entire discographies of many hyped neo-prog heroes.
    Never liked Riverside (or their obvious followers, like Dianoya), but I agree that Satellite did some fine stuff. As did Abraxas and Lizard, for instance. The debut Quidam is sweet, but in the end a bit too cheesily pompous and long-winded for my tastes.

Better progressive rock music from Poland, for me, would be Indukti, Gargantua and Tatvamasi. No dorky Porky-wannabe tendencies in sight, luckily.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    I don't bother with labels, they all sound mighty fine to my ears.

Riverside are truly excellent as far as my taste goes.
    Anno Domini High Definition is one of the most exciting albums I own.

I don't bother with labels
    Neither do I, but this wasn't about the label itself (hence the quotation marks) - it concerned the fact that all of the names you mentioned belong to one single sound/approach/idiom, give or take.

Scrotum said: INDUKTI
    Listening to Idmen on you tube.... SOLD! This one goes places.
    Still alive and well...

Riverside are truly excellent as far as my taste goes.
    Anno Domini High Definition is one of the most exciting albums I own.
    I agree with you
    “One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain.”