Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NEW MUSIC from ASIA Featuring John Payne due this week

NEW MUSIC from ASIA Featuring John Payne due this week

We're pleased to announce that our single and video "Seasons Will Change" will be released this week, from our forthcoming album "Americana". If you'd like a first look at the video (and a listen to the track), please sign up for our email newsletter:

http://eepurl.com/fZSwn

Thanks to all for your continued support.

Cool.

any ETA on an album release?
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Nice post. Keep posting such needed information. Thank's!

Four years after that original post, John Payne has posted this on Facebook:

New control room nearly finished and waiting for an analog console. Then finally to mix Asia FJP Americana. Time to release some new material!

Finally finally mixing has started on Asia FJPs new album Americana!!! Still have some plugging in od eq's and compressors and console but here we go. Exciting stuff.

Good grief. I have no idea who'd be playing on that album besides Payne himself. Ryo Okumoto? Jay Schellen?

Still, I'll take it if it ever gets completed.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post

New control room nearly finished and waiting for an analog console. Then finally to mix Asia FJP Americana. Time to release some new material!

Finally finally mixing has started on Asia FJPs new album Americana!!! Still have some plugging in od eq's and compressors and console but here we go. Exciting stuff.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

About time too !! I loved Seasons will change, hopefully the album will be a similar style.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    Good grief. I have no idea who'd be playing on that album besides Payne himself. Ryo Okumoto? Jay Schellen?
    Most of the album was done with Erik Norlander, before he left frustrated with the whole thing. It seems unlikely that Payne replaced all his parts. Schellen was on drums when the recordings were being done, although he's left now. Most of the guitar on the album, as far as I know, was by Moni Scaria and Jeff Kollman, although Kollman now appears to have left too. Contributions from other ex-AFJP guitarists Guthrie Govan, Mitch Perry and Bruce Bouillet were also mentioned.

This began as the album that Downes/Payne/Govan/Schellen were working on as Asia in late 2005. It's over 11 years later. (Downes left for the reunion of the original Asia band: Asia have written, recorded and released four albums, and written a fifth, in the same time period.) It's going to have to be a spectacular album to have been worth the wait...

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

he's got to get to quickly working on the follow-up, "Arachnophobia"

Maybe Payne should be calling his album "Better Late than Never"
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

That's fine & dandy, but still using the Asia name eh? C'mon man you don't need it. Move on!

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    Most of the album was done with Erik Norlander, before he left frustrated with the whole thing.
    From a 2012 interview with Norlander:

I can't explain the crazy delays with that band. We've played probably over 100 shows, but the studio album continues to languish. I try to just be supportive of John & be patient. That's hard sometimes as I have a very active 'get in done' personality, but there isn't much else I can do. The music is really good, & I'm quite proud of what I have written & played. I hope that album will see the light of day sometime soon. It really deserves to be heard!

I can't explain the crazy delays with that band. We've played probably over 100 shows, but the studio album continues to languish. I try to just be supportive of John & be patient. That's hard sometimes as I have a very active 'get in done' personality, but there isn't much else I can do. The music is really good, & I'm quite proud of what I have written & played. I hope that album will see the light of day sometime soon. It really deserves to be heard!
    Between the delays and the continued use of the "Asia" name, Payne has lost all credibility with me.

He's waiting for Eddie Jobson to add some finishing touches...
    Sleeping at home is killing the hotel business!

maybe it is just a coincidence but I have to say if they suddenly push this thing out so soon after Wetton's passing it may feel like they are trying to cash in on it. that said I have been interested to hear their album for a long time so I guess I should be happy that maybe it will happen before I die (not holding my breath though)

Quote Originally Posted by gojikranz View Post
    maybe it is just a coincidence but I have to say if they suddenly push this thing out so soon after Wetton's passing it may feel like they are trying to cash in on it. that said I have been interested to hear their album for a long time so I guess I should be happy that maybe it will happen before I die (not holding my breath though)
    I'm kinda embarrassed to admit that I considered this, too. Hope that it's not the case.

I can't explain the crazy delays with that band. We've played probably over 100 shows, but the studio album continues to languish.
    Really!!? I've never seen them have more than 3-4 shows listed on their website for a 12-month period. Where have they been doing all these shows??

BTW: I will buy Americana when it comes out! You figure an album 12 years in the making has to have something going for it!

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Maybe Payne should be calling his album "Better Late than Never"
    Howabout "Anachronistica"?

Areola.

Pretty poor timing in my opinion...

they consider him Anathema, so that might work....

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post

This began as the album that Downes/Payne/Govan/Schellen were working on as Asia in late 2005. It's over 11 years later. (Downes left for the reunion of the original Asia band: Asia have written, recorded and released four albums, and written a fifth, in the same time period.) It's going to have to be a spectacular album to have been worth the wait...
    Who does he think he is? Tom Scholz?!

Quote Originally Posted by gojikranz View Post
    maybe it is just a coincidence but I have to say if they suddenly push this thing out so soon after Wetton's passing it may feel like they are trying to cash in on it.)
    That's what I was thinking when I saw this thread pop up yesterday: "Can you say bad timing?"

I think it is a coincidence in terms of releasing it around this time. They likely knew they would announce it in winter but weren't sure exactly when. It doesn't make much sense to hold off until spring.