Page 53 of 329 FirstFirst ... 34349505152535455565763103153 ... LastLast
Results 1,301 to 1,325 of 8222

Thread: Current fav US TV series

I just watched the first episode of Black Mirror. I found it unbelievably ridiculous! Do subsequent episodes improve? It was so bad, I don't want to waste any more time on the show.
    Last edited by Guitarplyrjvb; 09-21-2017 at 04:21 PM.

It does get MUCH better. Not sure what they were thinking with that first episode.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitarplyrjvb View Post
    I just watched the first episode of Black Mirror.
    You mean the one where the Prime Minister needs to make a deposit in a piggy bank?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    You mean the one where the Prime Minister needs to make a deposit in a piggy bank?
    Oink!

Just finished Ozark last night. Not the ending I was expecting. But it nicely sets up some storylines for Season 2.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

The TV series inspired by the greatest horror movie of all time returns tonight. Yes, it's The Exorcist season 2. Season 1 was great.

I'm surprised no one's mentioned the PBS miniseries-documentary The Vietnam War. I've still got 2 episodes left but it's been phenomenal so far.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    I'm surprised no one's mentioned the PBS miniseries-documentary The Vietnam War. I've still got 2 episodes left but it's been phenomenal so far.
    I watched nearly all of it. Last one was last night. It was exceptional, and I highly recommend it to all here.

I was going to post about it last night, but forgot.

Ken Burns has, after 50 years, finally captured the whole truth and nothing but the truth about the Vietnam War, period.

I was there 3 times. In 1964 and 1965 off the coast on the USS IWO JIMA landing Marines at Danang, and then in 1966 shuttling between Saigon and Vung Tau in country. My experiences there prompted me three weeks after I got back to NYC after my discharge to attend the first ever "inception" meeting of Vietnam Veterans Against The War with 12 others in November of 1966 in Greenwich Village and became one of 13 charter members.. By 1975, when we were finally out of Vietnam, VVAW had close to 50,000 members nationally.

In the film, I saw both the Continental Palace Hotel & Restaurant in Saigon, where I had dinner a few times, as well as 2 people I knew personally from VVAW (one of whom died just a few years later) in the scenes filmed at the White House when they threw their medals etc. over the fence. That gave me chills.

I
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    I was there 3 times. In 1964 and 1965 off the coast on the USS IWO JIMA landing Marines at Danang, and then in 1966 shuttling between Saigon and Vung Tau in country. My experiences there prompted me three weeks after I got back to NYC after my discharge to attend the first ever "inception" meeting of Vietnam Veterans Against The War with 12 others in November of 1966 in Greenwich Village and became one of 13 charter members.. By 1975, when we were finally out of Vietnam, VVAW had close to 50,000 members nationally.
    I turned 18 in 1974 and so, while I still registered for the draft, missed possibly having to go by the skin of my teeth. I had a cousin who was in country and the stories he told were nightmare-inducing. He also was a member of VVAW. The respect I have for guys like he and you is immeasurable. I really need to watch this program.

Watched 2 new shows that we DVR'ed

- Seal Team
    - The Brave

The plots were so damn similar and the story line almost the same that I think we will have to pick one and stop recording the other to move forward. I guess we'll give it another week or two to see which one holds up.

I can only guess that one network thought of this and the other caught wind and thought it was a good idea, so they copied.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    I've only watched two episodes so far, but it's fantastic. I even got my wife to watch it with me and she learned a few things about her former home country that she didn't know before. I am hoping I can get her to watch the rest of them with me.

One of the eye-opening things I was not aware of (in episode 2 - covering 1961-1963) was the division between the Catholics and Buddhists. My wife's family are Catholic and some of our best friends are Buddhist. There used to be one big Tet celebration attended by the entire Vietnamese community here, but several years ago the Catholics split off from that and started doing their own thing which always starts off with a mass (this last spring we were even told by my sister-in-law not to bother coming to Tet if we were going to skip mass). Seeing that 2nd episode made me think that the division still exists even here in the states...which is pretty sad and petty, IMO.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    I've only watched two episodes so far, but it's fantastic. I even got my wife to watch it with me and she learned a few things about her former home country that she didn't know before. I am hoping I can get her to watch the rest of them with me.

One of the eye-opening things I was not aware of (in episode 2 - covering 1961-1963) was the division between the Catholics and Buddhists. My wife's family are Catholic and some of our best friends are Buddhist. There used to be one big Tet celebration attended by the entire Vietnamese community here, but several years ago the Catholics split off from that and started doing their own thing which always starts off with a mass (this last spring we were even told by my sister-in-law not to bother coming to Tet if we were going to skip mass). Seeing that 2nd episode made me think that the division still exists even here in the states...which is pretty sad and petty, IMO.
    I'm going to guess that it will be much harder for your wife to watch than for ANY non-Vietnamese person, and I truly wish you luck.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

I'm going to guess that it will be much harder for your wife to watch than for ANY non-Vietnamese person, and I truly wish you luck.
    No doubt! She was only a couple years old by 1974, but has vague recollections of explosions going off. Her father worked with the Americans in some capacity and was imprisoned for several years once HCM took over the South. She had a grandfather (living in northern Vietnam) who was beheaded in front of his family by HCM's thugs soon after the French were gone.
    <sig out of order>

Thank you Geezer, for your service! God Bless you!
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Ken Burns has, after 50 years, finally captured the whole truth and nothing but the truth about the Vietnam War, period.

In the film, I saw both the Continental Palace Hotel & Restaurant in Saigon, where I had dinner a few times, as well as 2 people I knew personally from VVAW (one of whom died just a few years later) in the scenes filmed at the White House when they threw their medals etc. over the fence. That gave me chills.

I
    I am only 3 episodes in so far, but have found the series riveting. I was born in 1961 so was a kid through most of these years and only have vague memories of the events, but Burns has done an outstanding job of both explaining the history and the personal struggle of people involved on both sides of the conflict. I have several friends who are Vietnam Vets and it definitely gives more understanding of what they went through.

Thank you for your service Geez.

I was vaguely aware of the Vietnam series, but it wasn't on my radar. Until now. Appreciate everyone's insights here, and the service of anyone involved.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I may have missed it... I'm very interested in the Vietnam series... is it in real time now, weekly, or is the entire series up somewhere?

It's over, Lino. It ran on PBS here in the states. It has 10 parts, each roughly one hour and 25 minutes, though some were longer, I think. Directed by Ken Burns, who won awards for some of his other docus.
    I would think you'll have the opportunity to view it somewhere.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Stranger Things was good, but took a lot of cues from Steven King

Quote Originally Posted by Lino View Post
    I may have missed it... I'm very interested in the Vietnam series... is it in real time now, weekly, or is the entire series up somewhere?
    It's over. And it's a 10 part, 18 hour series.

However, WNED/WBFO (Toronto/Buffalo) are airing it again on Tuesdays at 9pm, starting Oct 3 (tomorrow!).
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    I just got finished binge watching the first 3 seasons of Gotham. Only for fans of Batman I think. Anyone who doesn't like origin stories will find this long in the tooth. I liked that the characters are fleshed out, more multilayered, multidimensional, particularly the villians, enough to make one feel sympathy for them, especially Penguin. The first couple of seasons takes its cues front the gritty Chris Nolan movies while season 3 starts leaning towards Tim Burton's vision of the story, with characters being more and more flamboyant and stories being a tad over the top. I guess the writers might be feeling a need to push things along and since we've stuck it out thing long... but still.

Rumors are that the ratings are terrible and this might be the last season (which might be why things started feeling forced in the last season). I think that this series should have ended at the season 3 finale and then jump ahead a few years, replacing the current kid actors. The kid they got playing the teenage Bruce Wayne is an ok actor but entirely too waifish, almost marionette looking, to be convincing as a burgeoning Dark Knight.

And I'm not appreciating that the writers in seasons 1 and 2 having pushed the villians to their treacherous realizations then attempts to make them sympathetic again a few episodes later, minimizing their horrendous crimes - as if this was a daytime soap.

Thanks for info on Vietnam, I'm recording it, and so look forward to watching!

Den and I just finished season 1 of Handmaid's Tale. Really dug it. Now we're on the hunt for the next series to watch lol

Quote Originally Posted by Lino View Post
    Thanks for info on Vietnam, I'm recording it, and so look forward to watching!

Den and I just finished season 1 of Handmaid's Tale. Really dug it. Now we're on the hunt for the next series to watch lol
    Have you seen The Fall? It's 3 seasons long but only 17 episodes total. Stars Gillian Anderson as a detective searching for a serial killer in Northern Ireland. I watched it based on a recommendation or two, here, and I thought it was really good.

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    Stranger Things was good, but took a lot of cues from Steven King
    You say that like it's a bad thing.

It was definitely heavily influenced by Stephen King (especially "It"), and Steven Spielberg. Even the title card was supposed to look like that old Stephen King typeface. It wore its influences on its sleeve for sure, but the concept and execution of the Upside Down was much more its own thing, and unlike anything that has been on any TV show (that I've seen at least).