Page 106 of 328 FirstFirst ... 65696102103104105106107108109110116156206 ... LastLast
Results 2,626 to 2,650 of 8188

Thread: Current fav US TV series

Workin' Moms is Canadian. There is hope for you yet...
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

“From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Ok, really? No one is in on The Goldberg's and Schooled? Not only did they involve Matt Ryan in the show but it turns out, and I totally missed this until the new episodes, that Ruben Amaro Jr. played with the Phillies.

There's at least one moment in each episode where I have to pause the show as I'm laughing so hard. Bird house in last nights episode was brilliant. Those moments are usually the overplaying it for comedy effect but still, the real re-enactment of things that happened in his real life is just so close to home. Like watching Freaks and Geeks, it hits all the right notes for someone who was a young adult at the time.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

Quote Originally Posted by TheLoony View Post
    Ok, really? No one is in on The Goldberg's and Schooled?
    My wife watches The Goldbergs, and she wanted me to watch a couple of episodes with her. Although I really enjoyed the cultural references (I also grew up in the 80s), I didn't find the show funny at all, so two episodes was all I could manage.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    <<Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Just finished watching the 3 part show The ABC Murders with John Malkovich in the role of Hercule Poirot. Very good stuff.>>

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Will be checking this out with the wife tonight - thanks for the heads up!

EDIT: We’re on the second episode - damn, it’s dark! I always thought of Agatha Christies as cozy mysteries. It’s good, just dark.
    So we watched all three episodes that night. Malkovich was good, but again I think the whole thing was just too dark for me. As my wife pointed out, for some reason they just didn't allow Poirot to have the charm and fastidiousness that David Suchet gave the role, so this came off as less of an Agatha Christie affair. This seems kind of typical with the Agatha Christie movies, as opposed to the various series. Still, it held our interest, so thanks for the recommendation.

We finally finished I Am the Night, featuring Chris Pine. Great performances from him and the female lead, but what a slog. The story just didn't have the drama that they were obviously going for. I seemed like they were trying to make this grand statement, and it just fell flat, IMO. Very disappointing.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    We finally finished I Am the Night, featuring Chris Pine. Great performances from him and the female lead, but what a slog. The story just didn't have the drama that they were obviously going for. I seemed like they were trying to make this grand statement, and it just fell flat, IMO. Very disappointing.
    Yeah...I still have the last three episodes on my DVR and I really have no desire to watch it. There is really very little I like about this show. I was the writing was stronger, I wish the story was stronger...I wish everything was stronger. The acting is certainly the best part, and Pine does play the role well, but I need more than that for effective television.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Yeah, I stuck it out with I Am The Night because it was only six episodes, but it was really lacking in the writing department. And I hated some of the acting, particularly Fauna's mother, and those intensely annoying scenes between Pine and his boss, where they talked over each other for the entire duration of the scene. Seriously, every scene between them was exactly the same. Pine can be good at times, but he can also seriously overact. I thought it was a bit of a mess at the beginning, and that it would right itself as the episodes went on, but it just kind of stayed a mess. And I was puzzled at the inclusion of the Watts riots, which had nothing to do with the story whatsoever. It was like, "here's some more time period references!"

The one thing I did enjoy was gazing at Fauna, who is really gorgeous. And no, I'm not a sicko - the actress who played her is in her late twenties.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    I was puzzled at the inclusion of the Watts riots, which had nothing to do with the story whatsoever. It was like, "here's some more time period references!"
    Same. That was so odd.

The one thing I did enjoy was gazing at Fauna, who is really gorgeous. And no, I'm not a sicko - the actress who played her is in her late twenties.
    Same.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Love Death + Robots is an adult animated anthology on Netflix; so, basically it's a bunch of animated shorts. There are 18 total. It's produced by David Fincher (directed Se7en, et al), Tim Miller (directed Deadpool), Joshua Donen (son of famed director Stanley Donen), and Jennifer Miller (Tim's wife).

I've only seen the first two. The second one is about three robots on a sightseeing tour of a post-apocalyptic world. It was pretty funny.

The first one? If you like science fiction, monsters, and gore, you'll dig this. I thought it was fucking awesome.

I was a little concerned that the rest of the shorts won't live up to the first until I checked the show's score on IMDb. It got a 9.2! I have a feeling I'm going to end up binge watching this tonight.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

I watched the trailer and thought it wasn't for me. I may reconsider.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Love Death & Robots is excellent, I've only watched 2 so far but both terrific.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I'll add it to my list then...

Currently watching the 2nd season of Handmaid's Tale. Not quite as good as the first one, but I have a feeling things are about to change starting with Episode 4.

True Detective season 3 - skip it!!
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    True Detective season 3 - skip it!!
    I quite enjoyed it, myself.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Same here
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Yeah, I disagree too. Not as good as season 1 of course, but very enjoyable overall and I don't think it really had major problems that hampered it (like seaons 2).
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Yeah I agree too. Season 1 is untouchable, but I thought this last season was pretty good. Definitely better than last season! It did have a snails pace though which was a bit of a drag.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

I agree too. Although I thought the ending was a bit anti-climactic, it was still very good with excellent acting.

Stranger Things Season 3 new trailer.

Hits Netflix for everyone to Binge on July 4th, 2019.

http://ew.com/tv/2019/03/20/stranger...hi2R6qrgrcmk24

I may pass on Stranger Things 3. When you watch a show just to constantly point out all the plot holes, it may be time to move on...

I watched and enjoyed Stranger Things season 1. But I just couldn't get into the idea of watching any more of it once season 2 came along, so I was done. Have I missed anything?

This has happened with other series too. Mr. Robot, Orange Is The New Black, etc... some shows don't hold my interest once the first season or two ends. And it's always a shame when a particularly good series stays on one season too long (Oz, Mad Men, etc.)

I thought Season 2 of Stranger Things was just as good. Very much looking forward to Season 3.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    I thought Season 2 of Stranger Things was just as good. Very much looking forward to Season 3.
    I'm with Klonky.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

I watched and enjoyed Stranger Things season 1. But I just couldn't get into the idea of watching any more of it once season 2 came along, so I was done. Have I missed anything?

This has happened with other series too. Mr. Robot, Orange Is The New Black, etc... some shows don't hold my interest once the first season or two ends. And it's always a shame when a particularly good series stays on one season too long (Oz, Mad Men, etc.)
    I know how you feel. I've had season 3 of Mr Robot on my watch list for over a year.

I've mentioned this before, I think, and I was having a recent discussion of this with my niece but do any of you remember how long a season was for a TV show from the '50s or '60s? They ran anywhere from 30 to as much as 39 episodes! They started scaling back in the mid to late '60s. And they also didn't preempt their show just because of a holiday or some major sporting event. The Walking Dead (yes, I still watch it; don't judge me. ) aired its last episode before winter break on Nov 25th but didn't continue until Feb 10th. WTF? And on top of that, it's only 16 episodes to begin with!

So for me, a big problem is that the seasons of so many cable and streaming shows are really only half seasons or less, so after you've binged a season of some show in less than a week, you have to wait almost a year to see what happens next.

As for Stranger Things, I had mixed feelings about season 2. I enjoyed it, for the most part, but didn't feel it lived up to S1. I'm sure I'll watch S3 but I'm a little on the fence about it.