Page 83 of 329 FirstFirst ... 337379808182838485868793133183 ... LastLast
Results 2,051 to 2,075 of 8222

Thread: Current fav US TV series

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    I lost interest in this season of Westworld after a couple episodes and jumped ship.

But DAMN is Deadwood a lot of fun! Al Swerengen may be my favorite TV character ever!
    McShane won an Emmy, Golden Globe, and SAG award for best dramatic actor. It is certainly easy to see why. The whole cast was amazing, but Ian played one of the best characters in the history of television IMO.

...and then, alas, he played the disastrous character of Blackbeard in possibly the worst Pirates of the Caribbean movie to date...
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    ...and then, alas, he played the disastrous character of Blackbeard in possibly the worst Pirates of the Caribbean movie to date...
    Agreed, he has done some questionable characters since Deadwood ended for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Damn I love Billions!

Dialogue on tonight's new episode:

Prospective source of $20 billion: "So when do you need the money?"

Bobby: "By 2112, in honor of Rush's 2nd best album (sarcastically), I need it NOW!"

Taylor (the great Asia Kate Dillon): "I think it's Hemispheres, then Farewell To Kings, then 2112 and 4th would be Moving Pictures".

Bobby: "You would"
    I just saw this episode today (obviously catching up ever so slowly) and was wondering if anyone here caught this bit of dialog. I didn't see anyone else reference it, but I could have missed it.

Looks like I'm in Taylor's camp on this one... Maybe would have thrown Permanent Waves or Caress of Steel in the mix since they were already showing off. Just the Bobby comment of "you would" is hysterical. And this follows the episode where he wears his Black Sabbath Master of Reality T-shirt throughout most of the show. Who is writing for these guys? I've never heard so many cultural references spewed out in a stream of consciousness as I have on this show.

Just watched the last two episodes of The Expanse on SyFy. They've had to cram an entire doorstopper of a book into seven episodes and some things seemed rushed but holy balls, the tension of these last two was through the roof. And ye gods, what an ending. I've read the books and boy, they delivered the marvel and the wonder I felt at the end of book three. This is not a space wizard fantasy, this is real honest-to-god science fiction with some of the best characters I've seen in the genre in a LONG time. By moving to Amazon, they're only going to get better.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Anyone remember the show The Bridge on FX? It was based on a joint Swedish/Danish produced show of the same name. The FX show wasn't bad but I found something lacking about it, in spite of the excellent Diane Kruger. Never saw the Scandinavian show. There was also a joint British/French produced show called The Tunnel, also based on The Bridge.

All three have the same premise: a murder victim is found exactly on the border between two countries and the local police from both countries must work together to solve the murder. In The Tunnel, the corpse is found in a maintenance area of the Channel Tunnel.

The two leads in The Tunnel are Stephen Dillane, probably best known as Stannis Baratheon in Game of Thrones, and Clémence Poésy, who you've probably seen as Fleur Delacour in some of the Harry Potter movies; she was also in 127 Hours and In Bruges. And for you British folk, Liz Smith has a small role in a few episodes playing opposite Keeley Hawes (Line of Duty).

The plot follows British detective Karl Roebuck (Dillane) and French detective Elise Wassermann (Poésy) working together to find a serial killer. The killer is nicknamed the "Truth Terrorist" and is on a moral crusade to highlight many social problems, terrorizing both countries in the process. As the season progresses, the killer's true intention is revealed*.

An issue with the plot aside ("the killer's true intention"), I thought this was a very well made show (I've only seen season 1). Dillane & Poésy are both great, with Poésy's character exhibiting signs of Asperger's Syndrome. This show is as good as Line of Duty... almost. That plot issue I had kinda lowers my overall grade of the show, but if you liked Line of Duty, I'm sure you'll like this one, as well.

There's not a lot of humor in this show but what there is is kind of subtle. Mostly it centers around Elise's idiosyncratic behavior (Karl teaching her human interaction; Elise not understanding Karl's jokes, etc) and some is at the expense of the British from the French. Being American, I found all of it humorous.

On RottenTomatoes, 83% of critics liked it and 72% of the audience did. The IMDB rating is 7.8 of 10; I'd give it an 8.5.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

What did you stream The Tunnel on? Also, is there any nudity?
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    What did you stream The Tunnel on?
    I found the DVDs at the library and I have season 2 recorded off PBS.

I just checked and the first two seasons are on Prime.

They're also available at PBS. However, this is what it says on their website:

This video is only available in Passport.

As a donor of $5.00 or more monthly (as a sustaining member) or $60 or more annually, you will receive the added benefit of Passport, which provides you with extended access to the PBS streaming video you love.

Already a donating member of your station? You may have an unactivated Passport member benefit in our system.

So it seems even PBS has gone to charging for streaming.

Also, is there any nudity?
    There is a little but it's not like you get to see anything.
    Last edited by Hal...; 06-30-2018 at 08:55 AM.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

There is a little but it's not like you get to see anything
    Well, I had to ask. I'll go check Prime and add it to the watchlist. So many shows, so little time

BTW, season 3 premieres tomorrow night (July 1) at 10:30pm on PBS.

Watching THE STAIRCASE right now...recommended by a judge, she was right!
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

The Staircase was pretty good. Seemed like it could have been a couple episodes shorter or something, but pretty interesting. This type of show always leaves me wondering about our system.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by adap2it View Post
    Watching THE STAIRCASE right now...recommended by a judge, she was right!
    I am 3 episodes in myself. Good stuff.

We finished Killing Eve last night. Really don't understand the ending. Beyond the blatant need to allow for a second season, it didn't make any sense at all.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Don't let your meatloaf! Paulie's Avatar
    After hearing Stern interview Eric Andre last week, I thought I owed it to myself to catch up on his Adult Swim talkshow The Eric Andre Show. Jeezus H. I keep looking to see if David Lynch is mentioned somewhere in the credits. So fkn surreal!!
    "That gum you like is going to come back in style."

For sure, The Eric Andre Show is often beyond bizarre. Sometimes it's pure genius.

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Watched the 2 hour debut of Yellowstone w/Kevin Costner on the Paramount Network (formerly Spike TV). I'm in. They did an incredible job of setting up all the main characters as well as the dynamics of their interactions in just 2 hours.
    We watched this last night. Sure, they did a good job of setting everything in motion but too many melodramatic cliches abound along with stereotype characters. And how come they used Native American men to play NA characters but when it came to the part of Monica they got a white gal? Don't even get me started on what all they get wrong about that particular part of Montana.

We watched the series finale of The Americans. Not what I expected and totally heartbreaking. Do svidaniya, Philip and Elizabeth.

speaking of Eric Andre...

We watched the series finale of The Americans. Not what I expected and totally heartbreaking. Do svidaniya, Philip and Elizabeth. What

We binged the whole 6 series over the last 3 weeks. Pretty good show, but I had absolutely no sympathy for the fuckin commie spies at the centre of the show.

DtB

We started watching Genius: Albert Einstein. Only saw the first episode, but it was excellent. Geoffrey Rush and whoever plays the young Albert were both fantastic.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    We started watching Genius: Albert Einstein. Only saw the first episode, but it was excellent. Geoffrey Rush and whoever plays the young Albert were both fantastic.
    I DVRd it and watched it weekly when it was first on and thought it was superb (as was the recently completed Genius: Pablo Picasso w/ his fellow Spaniard Antonio Banderas just great in the title role).

Johnny Flynn, who played young Einstein, is a rocker who, like Jared Leto, Keanu Reeves & others, fronts a band when he's not acting.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

As a person who is curious about almost everything, but not always to the point of delving extremely deeply into certain topics, I am really enjoying "Explained" on Netflix. Served up in easily digestible 15-20 min episodes, it tackles all sorts of topics.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Who is this gal who plays Calamity Jane on Deadwood?? Damn she is tremendous! I love every scene with her in it.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Don't let your meatloaf! Paulie's Avatar
    I just started re-watching Deadwood after seeing that you're in. Great stuff! Have you got to "the fight" yet?
    "That gum you like is going to come back in style."