Page 77 of 329 FirstFirst ... 276773747576777879808187127177 ... LastLast
Results 1,901 to 1,925 of 8225

Thread: Current fav US TV series

I don't watch the political SNL opening sketches, as I'm bored by them. I am a faithful viewer though, and have been for many years, through all the different cast lineups. But for me, it's a 40-minute show, once I fast-forward the following:

- Political opening
    - 90 seconds of shrieking audience members before the host opens his or her mouth
    - commercials
    - musical guest
    - Leslie Jones

... yep, love SNL but it's what the DVR was made for.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Rajneshpuram / Osho / Wild Wild West

I have not read this long-ass thread yet, but plugged in 'osho' in the search engine and saw nothing of it. So posting some info on the documentary making the rounds on my social media circle:

Osho (named posthumously as in 'ocean') was the grandaddy pimp of India that started a commune in Oregon in the 80s...

Wild Wild Country | Official Trailer [HD] | Netflix
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBLS_OM6Puk

In mid-1981, Rajneesh relocated to the United States, where his followers established an intentional community (later known as Rajneeshpuram) near Antelope, Oregon south of The Dalles, Oregon. Almost immediately, the commune's leadership became embroiled in conflicts with local residents (primarily over land use), which were marked by hostility on both sides. The large number of Rolls-Royce cars purchased for Rajneesh's use by his followers also attracted criticism. The Oregon commune collapsed in 1985 when Rajneesh revealed that the commune leadership had committed a number of serious crimes, including a bioterror attack (food contamination) on the citizens of The Dalles. He was arrested shortly afterwards, and charged with immigration violations. Rajneesh was deported from the United States in accordance with a plea bargain. Twenty-one countries denied him entry, causing Rajneesh to travel the world before returning to Pune, where he died in 1990.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rajneesh

The Rajneeshees were sure they were building a beacon city for the world and, as such, they documented most steps of what was an ambitious, from-scratch process. Salacious footage of gyrating, purging meditation exercises, as well as writhing orgies and matter-of-fact nudity is more than offset by mundane footage of land-clearing, construction and spiritual conversation. It was also a story that interested the national media and captivated the Pacific Northwest media, and Sheela was a stylishly dressed, casually profane provocateur given a frequent television spotlight.

Ma Anand Sheela, now living in Switzerland, is the series' showcase talking head. More than 30 years after the events of the series, she's still blunt, combative and completely untrustworthy.

by Daniel Fienberg
    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/re...review-1078240

For those who refuse to subscribe to Netflix, you can watch a 40min version in HD to get the basic jizzum of this fascinating man and his impact:

SNL did a pretty funny parody of that. I had only heard of it right before I saw it on SNL, and it looks very interesting.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Damn, Killing Eve on BBC America is just beautifully written & acted, period.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Damn, Killing Eve on BBC America is just beautifully written & acted, period.
    Yeah, we're loving it.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I recall the Bagwhan and the antics of the ashram very well.

The 80s comic strip Bloom County sent one its characters (Bill the Cat - ack!) to that commune. Then of course Bill had to be rescued and deprogrammed.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Somehow missed this thread till now. Backtracked a few pages and didn't see any mention of HBO's Barry. I like it , its a mix of comedy and killing. About a hitman who wants to act. Has an excellent Henry Winkler as an acting teacher. Anyone watching?
    Westworld season II is looking good too.

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    Somehow missed this thread till now. Backtracked a few pages and didn't see any mention of HBO's Barry. I like it , its a mix of comedy and killing. About a hitman who wants to act. Has an excellent Henry Winkler as an acting teacher. Anyone watching?
    Yep, I mentioned it on pages 45 and 46.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Watched episode 1 of Safe over the weekend, new crime drama based in an English gated community starring Michael C Hall (Dexter). Seems really really dark, hoping for great things from this one. No-one is what they seem.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

A show I'm currently addicted to is Last Man on Earth, created by and starring SNL alum Will Forte. I only started watching it this season (the 4th) and have since been watching the previous ones. There's a lot about this show I shouldn't like, especially considering the lead character is annoying and often stupid, and yet I get at least one good laugh per episode.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    A show I'm currently addicted to is Last Man on Earth, created by and starring SNL alum Will Forte. I only started watching it this season (the 4th) and have since been watching the previous ones. There's a lot about this show I shouldn't like, especially considering the lead character is annoying and often stupid, and yet I get at least one good laugh per episode.
    Are you aware that it has been cancelled?

Quote Originally Posted by Painter View Post
    Are you aware that it has been cancelled?
    Well, shit.

Thanks for killing my buzz, tho.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Well, shit.

Thanks for killing my buzz, tho.
    I read somewhere (Den of Geek?) that they are trying to sell a last season to Hulu. Glimmer of hope...

I kinda stopped watching for one reason or another (mostly got sick of waiting for new episodes and moved on to other things), but I like that show. There are probably several episodes I haven't seen yet.
    <sig out of order>

I've really been enjoying The Alienist. I think I need to read the book!
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

The Keepers

The only show I love that I DVR is Live PD which is the new version of 'cops', lots of the cops are cool now with throwing away bits of weed or giving driver's citations, but still some good old Crazy 'Merica here...

Jeffersonville, Indiana
    Officer Aaron Olson: "Subject is going to jail for maintaining a common nuisance..."

Stolen, gray 2007 Mercedes Benz
    Colorado plates

"This sounds exciting" Sgt. Steve Salas from the Utah Highway Patrol

Guy gets pulled over for not signalling from the left lane to the right at least 200 ft. prior ...

Police officer: Why your hands shaking so hard?

Guy consents to searching the car ... cop finds two bindles of dope in woman's bra

Westworld is soooo good.
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."

I've just started watching season 1 of 3 of Hulu's The Path w/Aaron (Jesse) Paul, Michelle Monaghan & Hugh Dancy. I'm really hooked after just 2 episodes.

I need to preface this by an unequivocal distinction between political and observational commentary. This is observational.

Handmaid's Tale and The Path starting shooting before the last presidential election, so I'm not talking about those 2 shows, but it seems apparent that since that election the amount of new shows preoccupied with dystopian societies has increased perceptibly.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Not sure how much of an effect it would have, but I would say that "young adult fiction" may be driving that trend, as well. Since my daughter became consumed with The Hunger Games, it seems that every new book series aimed at teens was dystopian.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I've just started watching season 1 of 3 of Hulu's The Path w/Aaron (Jesse) Paul, Michelle Monaghan & Hugh Dancy. I'm really hooked after just 2 episodes.
    I watched and enjoyed season 1 very much. Oddly enough, seasons 2 & 3 built up on the DVR and I haven't been able to get interested in watching them. I'm sure I will enjoy it again once I do finally get into it, but with SO many series I find I'm just constantly 'behind' on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Not sure how much of an effect it would have, but I would say that "young adult fiction" may be driving that trend, as well. Since my daughter became consumed with The Hunger Games, it seems that every new book series aimed at teens was dystopian.
    I'm 3 episodes into The Rain, and it's feeling very much like a show for teens/young adults. Not quite what I expected...
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Ken Burns has, after 50 years, finally captured the whole truth and nothing but the truth about the Vietnam War, period.

I was there 3 times. In 1964 and 1965 off the coast on the USS IWO JIMA landing Marines at Danang, and then in 1966 shuttling between Saigon and Vung Tau in country. My experiences there prompted me three weeks after I got back to NYC after my discharge to attend the first ever "inception" meeting of Vietnam Veterans Against The War with 12 others in November of 1966 in Greenwich Village and became one of 13 charter members.. By 1975, when we were finally out of Vietnam, VVAW had close to 50,000 members nationally.

In the film, I saw both the Continental Palace Hotel & Restaurant in Saigon, where I had dinner a few times, as well as 2 people I knew personally from VVAW (one of whom died just a few years later) in the scenes filmed at the White House when they threw their medals etc. over the fence. That gave me chills.

I
    I'm going back to get an idea of what TV shows to watch, looks like I'd have to buy a book in Barnes & Nobles and read a TV guide just to know what to watch! But thanks for mentioning this, I first saw Ken Burns documentary on Mark Twain (circa 2001) on Netflix...really was blown away on his style which the pacing is not too slow but not overly edited with quick cuts like you see in cable television. I heard good things about his Jazz series too.

Let's see, so far from the banter here:

Black Mirror - sounds interesting, don't want to watch more than a season to know if I'll like sth
    Twin Peaks - was fan of Season 1&2
    Game of Thrones - got addicted to it, didn't want to watch it after S3
    WestWorld - always thought Evan Rachel Wood was great. WestWorld timeline (spoilers), Support Hos: Westworld (2016) By suzyhooker - January 5, 2017

I need to preface this by an unequivocal distinction between political and observational commentary. This is observational.

Handmaid's Tale and The Path starting shooting before the last presidential election, so I'm not talking about those 2 shows, but it seems apparent that since that election the amount of new shows preoccupied with dystopian societies has increased perceptibly.
    I'm a fan of dystopian movies (Logan's Run, Idiocracy, The Road) so I'm interested in these. The Path seems interesting because of the recent Osho/Rajneeshpuram documentary and the whole ayahuasca trend that's happening here in the USA. I heard S2 was not very good tho.

Handmaid's Tale looks interesting because of the prostitution angle, isn't this on Hulu? I'm confused as I don't have a SmartTV, can you get shows streamed to a device that takes AmazonTV/Netflix/Hulu seamlessly?

Quote Originally Posted by tommy_n_chucky View Post
    Black Mirror - sounds interesting, don't want to watch more than a season to know if I'll like sth
    Twin Peaks - was fan of Season 1&2
    Game of Thrones - got addicted to it, didn't want to watch it after S3
    Black Mirror is excellent in a modern Twilight Zone fashion. Mostly deals with the effect technology has on society, and is set in the very near future. You don't have to concern yourself with seasons as such, each episode is its own completely different story. Watch them in whatever order you like.

Twin Peaks - you'll like it, but don't expect the greatness of the original.

GoT - Wait, what? You got addicted to it but stopped watching after season 3? Or am I reading that wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    GoT - Wait, what? You got addicted to it but stopped watching after season 3? Or am I reading that wrong?
    Oh I watched it all up to the last season...but only because I didn't have HBO so I spend like 2 months obsessing over all the major and minor characters on the Wiki fan forums. Then watch basically the whole season off of Youtube clips that pieced everything together.

What I find fascinating about GoT is that lets say...comparing and contrasting to the Old Testament...if you read 1&2 Kings...not much is different from the Kings in the GoT Universe. All corrupt, power-mongering, talk about serving 'gods' but you never see it as a sincere belief.

One of my favorite scenes...

Women In Jesus Christ's Lineage
    by Gary DeVaney

Eve - Sarah - Rebekah - Leah - Tamar - "Rahab the Harlot" - Ruth - Bathsheba and "The Virgin Mary" were the names of the women who the "holy" Bible documented to be in the lineage / bloodline of Jesus Christ. The Bible describes these women to be liars, tricksters, hookers, adulterers, and participants of incest, pre-marital sex and supernatural nonsense.

http://www.thegodmurders.com/id147.html