Page 74 of 329 FirstFirst ... 246470717273747576777884124174 ... LastLast
Results 1,826 to 1,850 of 8222

Thread: Current fav US TV series

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Another one that's grabbed my attention starts on BBC America tomorrow. Killing Eve, which stars Sideways/Gray's Anatomy actor Sandra Oh as an MI6 detective who becomes obsessed with a female serial killer she's trying to stop, while the psychopath at the same time becomes obsessed with Oh's character. Time magazine loved it.
    The Sunday paper had a nice piece on this. Looks really interesting. DVR was set, hope to watch it this week.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Thanks! In that case, other than Anna Paquin & director David Cronenberg in an acting role, I don't know any of the actors. The title character Grace is played by Sarah Gadon, who someone here might know, but I don't. She's what hooked me in.

The other big thing it has going for it is that it's based on a book by Handmaid's Tale author Margaret Atwood and she also wrote the screenplay based on actual events in the 1840s involving a poor Irish immigrant who was found guilty of murder and the shrink who is hired by a group of people who believe she was unfairly convicted to try & get her pardoned. Still have yet to watch episodes 2-6. Highly recommended by both me & Rotten Tomatoes.
    Just finished it over the weekend. An excellent show that has a somewhat ambiguous ending. But the whole thing is totally in line with Atwood's style. Ms Atwood even makes a cameo appearance in one of the episodes, as an outraged church goer.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Thanks for the tip on Alias Grace. The wife and I are two episodes in and it's very well done.

Also started Unforgotten, based on Nicola Walker's involvement (I really liked her in Last Tango In Halifax). Still watching Barry (excellent) and The Terror (okay).
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    I got the DVDs from my library. But I'm lucky. Columbus Metro (Ohio) has been regularly rated as the best or one of the best libraries in the country.

All four seasons are also available on Hulu. Not sure about Netflix.
    It's available on the Hoopla app if your library subscription includes that service...

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

We've been watching Doctor Foster on Netflix and just finished the second season (5 episodes). Pretty good.
    <sig out of order>

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Watched Unforgotten on PBS (originally ITV in the UK), a long form cold case drama with a very good cast (Nichola Walker, Bernard Hill, Tom Courtney, Trevor Eve, Hannah Gordon, David Troughton). Really excellent.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I looked up the Sandra Oh scene on YouTube. Kinda made me wonder if that was a stunt butt because Hollywood does that sort of thing. If not, bravo for her training regimen.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

BBC America already announced that Killing Eve will have a second season.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Thanks! In that case, other than Anna Paquin & director David Cronenberg in an acting role, I don't know any of the actors. The title character Grace is played by Sarah Gadon, who someone here might know, but I don't. She's what hooked me in.

The other big thing it has going for it is that it's based on a book by Handmaid's Tale author Margaret Atwood and she also wrote the screenplay based on actual events in the 1840s involving a poor Irish immigrant who was found guilty of murder and the shrink who is hired by a group of people who believe she was unfairly convicted to try & get her pardoned. Still have yet to watch episodes 2-6. Highly recommended by both me & Rotten Tomatoes.
    I'm a little puzzled...Den and I really enjoyed the fantastic Netflix series Handmaid's Tail, based on the Atwood book.
    How is Alias Grace different? ...I guess I'm asking if there's a need to see both?

Just wait. I'm on ep 6 and there's a new development; I can't wait to see what happens next.

"No lobsters or Nazis were harmed during the making of this show."
    we finished this series up...quite funny! Clearly there'll be a third season!

Quote Originally Posted by Lino View Post
    I'm a little puzzled...Den and I really enjoyed the fantastic Netflix series Handmaid's Tail, based on the Atwood book.
    How is Alias Grace different? ...I guess I'm asking if there's a need to see both?
    You mean Hulu, right? Is HM Tale on Netflix in Canada?

Big difference, Lino. Handmaid's Tale is Atwood's macabre take on Ayn Rand dystopia, while Alias G is a retelling of history by Atwood.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

we finished this series up...quite funny! Clearly there'll be a third season!
    What did you think of that final scene in the last episode?

BTW, you understand I'm going to hold this over you for a long time, right?
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

The Expanse third season starts tonight SyFy Channel

This should be a lesson to always trust the Semitic sage.

Banned
    Nobody's watching Sneaky Pete on Amazon? I'm enjoying it. Bryan Cranston is executive producer and appears as a criminal heavy.

priceless lol I like any time the talking head is in a scene lol. Obviously a confrontation with the cop was building, but the way it worked out was hilarious.

Watched first two episodes of Alias Grace last night and loved it! Can't wait to get back to it, though Leafs play off game tonight will mean back at it tomorrow night lol

Alias Grace and Handmaid's Tale are two different novels written about a decade apart. The story just seems similar on the surface. The ultimate Atwood adaptation would be if somebody decided to do the Maddaddam Trilogy (Oryx & Crake, The Year Of The Flood, Maddaddam). Atwood's vision of the end of our society as we know it, and her best writing, imo.

Thanks guys... I think I just read a post too quickly...I thought that both Alias Grace and Handmaid's Tale were adapted from the same book.

But we really liked the first two episodes...and it's cool that it takes place in old Toronto.

Yeah, and they ride all the way to Richmond Hill and it's like a whole 'nother country up there!

I'll admit I found the ending not as satisfactory as I would have liked but then I found out it was an adaptation of real life events, so you need to respect how things unfolded...

The Expanse kicked off its third season last night with a bang last night. Or, in the words of a Martian marine, "hitch your tits and pucker up, it's time to peel the paint!"
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I watched Legend last season and, despite my continued thoughts about stopping, I kept at it to the end. Now, not even halfway through the first episode of season 2 I've deleted it and cancelled my DVR recording. There's just better things to do with my time.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    The Expanse kicked off its third season last night with a bang last night. Or, in the words of a Martian marine, "hitch your tits and pucker up, it's time to peel the paint!"
    Great line. I like that character. Frankie Adams plays former Gunnery Sergeant Roberta "Bobbie" W. Draper was a member of the Martian Marine Corps.

Don't let your meatloaf! Paulie's Avatar
    I was waiting for the bang after reading the hype earlier. Did I watch a different version?
    "That gum you like is going to come back in style."

priceless lol I like any time the talking head is in a scene lol.
    What I found interesting was how much I came to like that character, who was such a douche in season 1.

Obviously a confrontation with the cop was building, but the way it worked out was hilarious.
    That may have been the best season finale in TV history. I watched it again, just now, and it made me laugh all over again.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulie View Post
    I was waiting for the bang after reading the hype earlier. Did I watch a different version?
    I don't know. You're talking about S02E10, right? What do you mean?
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe