Page 62 of 328 FirstFirst ... 125258596061626364656672112162 ... LastLast
Results 1,526 to 1,550 of 8188

Thread: Current fav US TV series

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Netflix always shows me what's new on the home page.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Here's a question: How do you guys find out about new series on Netflix? Where are they advertised. I'm not one to browse around on Netflix, I just watch something I want if a somehow hear about (usually here) and to be honest I don't watch much at all anyway. I occasionally get an email from Netflix if a new season of something I've watched becomes available, but as far as new shows, I never know about them aside from as I say somewhere like PE. I also don't read magazines like Entertainment Weekly.
    I find out about most of them via e-mail from Netflix, although there are some that slip through the cracks. I get on Rotten Tomatoes once in a while to see what is hot in TV if I am searching for something.

Just started season 3 of "Narcos" on Netflix. So far I am digging it.

Peaky Blinders and Black Mirror new seasons are available now

Forgive me if it's been mentioned, but Counterpart on Starz, starring JK Simmons, looks really cool.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Forgive me if it's been mentioned, but Counterpart on Starz, starring JK Simmons, looks really cool.
    I fancy that one.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    Peaky Blinders and Black Mirror new seasons are available now
    Two other series I'm just starting to explore, I'm 1 series into Black Mirror & 1 episode into Pinky blinders.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Black Mirror has got to be the best show that I never actually ever want to watch
    Critter Jams "album of the week" blog: http://critterjams.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by JAMOOL View Post
    Black Mirror has got to be the best show that I never actually ever want to watch
    Please explain.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

If you are new to Black Mirror, do not start with Episode One of Series One. Easily the worse episode of the entire show. I suggest you work you way backwards . I had started on Series 3 which was the newest when I discovered the show. I did it inadvertently so after 1 episode I went to Series 1 and did not like the debut episode. Had I started with that one, I may not have continued on.

Currently watching Series 4 and I preferred the second episode to the first one; which I found a little campy.

I'm also slowly working my way through:

The Crown- 2nd season

El Chapo- 2nd season

Fargo- 1st season (what a crazy good show this is!)
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Is the first episode of Black Mirror the pig episode? That was...unique. We watched the first season of Black Mirror but didn't go back for the rest. Some day. There's too damn much to watch these days.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Yes, the pig episode. It gets much better after that with only one other really bad show imo (the cartoon animal show which I believe was also in Series 1).

I found the pig episode to be rather disturbing actually.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    I found the pig episode to be rather disturbing actually.
    Wasn't that the point?
    Ian

Yeah, I didn't mind season 1 too much, but there are definitely a few clunkers. Seasons 2 and 3 are very good overall. Lookin forward to hittin' season 4.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Wasn't that the point?
    Oh yeah! I was actually arguing in favor of the episode, not against it.

It was the first episode I saw, and it didn't turn me away from the rest of the series. It was weird, unsettling, and the subtext about the roles "art" and social media play was interesting to me.

Same here...if anything that episode made me want to continue on! It was too bizarre for me not to.

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    Please explain.
    it's a great show, but it's just brutal to watch sometimes, especially as nearly every scenario is downright nightmarish and most episodes end in either death or a lifetime of torment
    Critter Jams "album of the week" blog: http://critterjams.wordpress.com

I was comparing the "pig episode" to the rest of the series. I thought almost every episode after was better, yet this was the pilot. Strange. My personal favorite is still the "Christmas" episode, with John Hamm.

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    I was comparing the "pig episode" to the rest of the series. I thought almost every episode after was better, yet this was the pilot. Strange. My personal favorite is still the "Christmas" episode, with John Hamm.
    Mine too. That one was awesome.

I watched the first episode a while back and it did not grab me, but I am thinking I need to give it another try.

Fun first episode of Black Mirror season 4! I suspect folks here will definitely appreciate the Trekkyness of it
    Last edited by Klonk; 01-10-2018 at 10:03 AM.

If you are new to Black Mirror, do not start with Episode One of Series One. Easily the worse episode of the entire show.
    That's exactly what I said. And this is what I said in another thread:

I thought season 3 of Black Mirror was a lot better than seasons 1 and 2 with an exception or two; I remember episode 3 of season 1 was excellent. As for season 4, episode 1 did nothing for me. Episode 2 was okay but I had a major problem with a crucial concept (don't highlight unless you've seen the episode): the ability to censor events that cause stress, which can be detected by a rise in cortisol levels. I would think that the makers of the device would already understand the necessity for children to experience pain & stress as they are great teachers. How will the child learn to avoid things if they don't know what the consequences will be if they can't experience those stressors? The writer, Charlie Brooker, who I think is usually excellent, dropped the ball on this one. Incidentally, ep2 was directed by Jodie Foster and the incidental music was composed by Mark Isham.

That said, I thought ep 3 was great & ep 4 might be the best of the series; often quite funny and sweet. Eps 5 & 6 were also really good.

Quote Originally Posted by JAMOOL View Post
    it's a great show, but it's just brutal to watch sometimes, especially as nearly every scenario is downright nightmarish and most episodes end in either death or a lifetime of torment
    I think you're over generalizing but I see your point. But that's the point of the show: to show the detrimental effects of technology and our reliance on it.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

My personal favorite is still the "Christmas" episode, with John Hamm.
    Mine, too, until I saw episode 4 of season 4.