Page 32 of 328 FirstFirst ... 222829303132333435364282132 ... LastLast

Thread: Current fav US TV series

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    The NBC series Timeless is worth watching for the incredible (for tv rather than a motion picture budget) period sets and costumes alone. I personally like it a lot for both premise and acting reasons as well.
    I have been curious about this one, may have to check it out.

Finished up Westworld - whew! What a ride! Fantastic acting, and an interesting story with many twists and turns. Typical HBO quality entertainment.

I'm also four episodes into Bosch, which is also very good. Titus Welliver is excellent in the lead role.

A common thread between both of these is that they both have great tone. Great feel and atmosphere.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I'm also four episodes into Bosch, which is also very good. Titus Welliver is excellent in the lead role.
    Which season? I saw the first one and for some reason didn't feel a need to watch anymore.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Don't let your meatloaf! Paulie's Avatar
    Yeah, I thought Bosch was pretty ordinary.

Homeland picked up some speed on its second ep. Thank goodness.
    "That gum you like is going to come back in style."

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    Which season? I saw the first one and for some reason didn't feel a need to watch anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulie View Post
    Yeah, I thought Bosch was pretty ordinary.
    First season. I guess I just love that LA noir vibe.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I've got Colony queued up. Is it any good?
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Its not too bad.
    Binged the first series last weekend now I'm waiting on the second.

DtB

Don't let your meatloaf! Paulie's Avatar
    Tried to get into Colony. Couldn't hang. Too much really good shit out there to mess with the mediocre shit. Speaking of the really good shit, really looking forward to season 3 of Fargo this April. This one's taking place in 2010, 4 years after season 1 takes place. A peek at the cast (Ewan McGregor [playing twin brothers], Carrie Coon, Jim Gaffigan [!], David Thewlis, Michael Stuhlbarg to name a few) has me chomping at the bit. Love Carrie Coon (The Leftovers).
    "That gum you like is going to come back in style."

Quote Originally Posted by Paulie View Post
    Tried to get into Colony. Couldn't hang. Too much really good shit out there to mess with the mediocre shit. Speaking of the really good shit, really looking forward to season 3 of Fargo this April. This one's taking place in 2010, 4 years after season 1 takes place. A peek at the cast (Ewan McGregor [playing twin brothers], Carrie Coon, Jim Gaffigan [!], David Thewlis, Michael Stuhlbarg to name a few) has me chomping at the bit. Love Carrie Coon (The Leftovers).
    This is one that everyone tells me I'd like, but just haven't pulled the trigger yet. Like you said, "too much good shit out there" There's no time!
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Season premiere of The Magicians' season two tonight on Syfy. Come for the magic, stay for the snark, sex, and substance abuse.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I don't have HBO so things like Fargo and Westworld are not available to me....

Do you get Fx channel in Canuckistan? That's where Fargo runs. Amazon has seasons one and two but they're not free to stream
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

RIP Mary Tyler Moore

Her eponymous show was ground-breaking US television.

Has BBC's "Taboo" reached over the pond yet? We are only three episodes in, but I'm really enjoying this dark and intricate tale. Some very powerful and brooding performances, especially from Tom Hardy, but the whole cast is excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunlight Caller View Post
    Has BBC's "Taboo" reached over the pond yet? We are only three episodes in, but I'm really enjoying this dark and intricate tale. Some very powerful and brooding performances, especially from Tom Hardy, but the whole cast is excellent.
    I have seen the first two episodes. I'm a sucker for films/TV/books set in the same general time period of Olde England, the grittier the better, and this one's plenty gritty. The only problem I'm having is the same as I had with the Netflix series "Peaky Blinders": the accents are so thick that my tinnitus-ravaged American ears can barely discern half of the dialog without turning the volume up to 11. And even then I'm tempted to turn on the closed captioning.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Do you get Fx channel in Canuckistan? That's where Fargo runs. Amazon has seasons one and two but they're not free to stream
    I could get it and HBO I just choose not to pay for them. HBO alone is like 15.00/month.

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    I could get it and HBO I just choose not to pay for them. HBO alone is like 15.00/month.
    Yves - do you have a "smart TV," or Amazon Fire Stick, or Roku stick or anything that allows you to access apps on your TV?

If so, you might be able to use the HBOGo app. I don't have HBO, either, but can use that app, for some reason. And it has every episode of every HBO TV series ever created.

Quote Originally Posted by headcrash View Post
    I have seen the first two episodes. I'm a sucker for films/TV/books set in the same general time period of Olde England, the grittier the better, and this one's plenty gritty. The only problem I'm having is the same as I had with the Netflix series "Peaky Blinders": the accents are so thick that my tinnitus-ravaged American ears can barely discern half of the dialog without turning the volume up to 11. And even then I'm tempted to turn on the closed captioning.
    good point with the accents. I'm enjoying this one so far too. Dark and gritty for sure. And I loved Peaky Blinders.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Yves - do you have a "smart TV," or Amazon Fire Stick, or Roku stick or anything that allows you to access apps on your TV?

If so, you might be able to use the HBOGo app. I don't have HBO, either, but can use that app, for some reason. And it has every episode of every HBO TV series ever created.
    I don't but I believe I need a US based ISP address for this to work for me.

So far, season 3 of Black Mirror is much better than seasons 1 and 2, with the exception of an episode here or there. This show is worth seeking out.

First season. I guess I just love that LA noir vibe.
    Well, there was certainly a lot for me to like but I've read nearly all the Bosch novels and while I think Titus Welliver is a very good actor, he just didn't quite cut it for me as Harry Bosch... altho I think he's very close. I know Michael Connelly (the author of the books) thinks he's perfect (so he says) so I guess my take on it is of value to no one. lol

I also think what I would have preferred to see is a series based on Mickey Haller (the Lincoln Lawyer). To date, Connelly has written 19 Bosch novels and only 5 Haller novels. As good as I thought the Bosch novels were, I enjoyed the Haller novels considerably more. I wish he would write more of those.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Just finished the last episode of season 1 of Westworld. No spoilers from me, but it was a wild ride. I think it's safe to say season 2 will be quite different.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    I don't have HBO so things like Fargo and Westworld are not available to me....
    You could probably download the shows from Usenet.

(ducks) -- I have HBO!!

Looking forward to "24-Legacy" after tonight's Super Bowl.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by Obscured View Post
    Looking forward to "24-Legacy" after tonight's Super Bowl.
    So what did anybody think? It has my attention, but major suspension of disbelief required per usual.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    So what did anybody think? It has my attention, but major suspension of disbelief required per usual.
    I only saw the first segment, where the bad guys broke into the main protagonist's home. DVR'd the rest.