Page 28 of 328 FirstFirst ... 182425262728293031323878128 ... LastLast

Thread: Current fav US TV series

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    Ummmm.... It is possible that Scientology "has the dirt" on Travolta, Cruise, and so many more ... it is also possible (just *possible*) that their egoes are much more fragile than you think, and the "special treatment" the CoS provides for celebrities turns their heads.

That too. All you have to see is the relationship with David Miscavage to see that.
    They both are rather short and have that Napoleon complex thing.

DtB

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    Yeah, I don't fully grasp, if you're an adult, what the lure to Scientology is, but I'm sure it's many. Some might be trying to solve a problem, some a bit of ego, someone that's gullible, some a social status and job seeking thing (Hollywood), and probably many other reasons. If you're a kid and brought into it via your parents, then you are more or less captured and programmed from an early age. But they also make it hard to leave, so if you're a parent, they still keep your kids (they more or less separate one's kids from the parents early on so they don't interact much--you'd think that would be an early red flag as well for the parents), plus the harassment, etc.

Still as an adult once you get past the initial introduction, it's hard for me to see the attraction, over say a typical church, as they would have some of the same features: social circle, etc. I'll say one thing about Scientology, they have down their brainwashing and ways to keep people there down to a fine art.
    The lure for many was the promise of an eternity of spiritual enlightenment. Many hippies who wanted to save the world were among the first to fall victim to this cult. There are many layers of brainwashing going on - reincarnation and isolation from the outside world via the naming of a common enemy (in this case, psychiatry). The real deep, mostly little known story behind scientology is the intended genocide of all non-scientologists. L Ron Hubbard was really a psychotic malignant narcissist.

Read here:

https://scientologymoneyproject.com/...y-is-genocide/

There is a connection between Hubbard's thinking and the Eugenics Society (which inspired Hitler, btw) of the early 20th century. This has been whitewashed out of ALL American History textbooks.

L Ron was also involved with rocket scientist Jack Parsons Church of Thelema which was founded by Aleister Crowley.

L Ron was an inveterate liar who didn't even really believe the precepts of CoS or Dianetics.

It was all a scam to make money.

The assets of Scientology at this point are mainly in the large amount of real estate owned by them, since people are leaving in droves and new recruits are low in numbers.

DtB

Quote Originally Posted by Dave the Brave View Post
    L Ron was also involved with rocket scientist Jack Parsons Church of Thelema which was founded by Aleister Crowley.

L Ron was an inveterate liar who didn't even really believe the precepts of CoS or Dianetics.

It was all a scam to make money.

The assets of Scientology at this point are mainly in the large amount of real estate owned by them, since people are leaving in droves and new recruits are low in numbers.

DtB
    Real estate bought tax free. If they didn't keep doubling down on the abuse with fair gaming and the like, most of us would probably be happy just to ignore them. They're like "footbullet heaven". As a result, most won't rest until Miscavige is sharing one of the seven circles of hell with Jeffs.

As much as a charlatan and con man as Hubbard was, I'll give it to him, he knew how to scam the system and make his pseudo philosophy into a religion, so tax free. I just wonder what all it takes to do that? It would be good for most of us to declare a new religion, even if it just included a few friends, just to get the tax exempt thing.

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    As much as a charlatan and con man as Hubbard was, I'll give it to him, he knew how to scam the system and make his pseudo philosophy into a religion, so tax free. I just wonder what all it takes to do that? It would be good for most of us to declare a new religion, even if it just included a few friends, just to get the tax exempt thing.
    The fact is that Sci-fi-entology had to infiltrate (the largest such infiltration of our government in our history, btw) and bribe the IRS to gain recognition as a religion in 1993. They were so proud of themselves that they held a Nuremburg type rally to celebrate scamming the US government. This is not a sign of genius - it's a sign of malignant narcissism and general insidiousness. Also, nobody who works at the IRS is qualified to render a determination on what is or isn't a religion. Anybody can start one if they are so inclined. I'd recommend the episode of Last Week Tonight (HBO) where John Oliver demonstrates how clueless the IRS really is. You can find it on YouTube.

I don't know if anyone has seen Rectify (on the Sundance Channel). An amazing series. I watched the first 3 seasons on Netflix and then this last season live. Last night was the series finale and it was simply a perfect ending.

The few people who have had a negative word about the series stated it moved slowly, but many disagree and most who have seen it loved it.

Just a suggestion if you're looking for a show to watch.
    Currently attempting to catch up on all of the chaos in the Market Square.

I finally got to watch the finale of Westworld. Amazing series and a total mind trip. This thing should rake in the Emmys for acting, writing and pretty much everything this year. HBO does it again. I had figured out the twist (I won't spoil it) by the 2nd to last episode, but it was still totally satisfying. There may have been a minor plot hole or two, but really excellent writing for the most part and incredible acting. Hopkins, Harris, Wood, Wright, Newton, hell they should all be Emmy nominees IMO.

^^^ Agreed on all counts Steve. Absolutely loved Westworld, and it's going to be a long wait for season 2!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Don't let your meatloaf! Paulie's Avatar
    Just finished The OA (8 eps) on Netflix. An interesting, albeit ambiguous, jem focusing on near death experiences. I was absolutely hooked from beginning to end. Don't expect a tidy wrap-up here. There's more than enough unanswered questions and much left to interpretation (well, at least until season 2). That said, still a pretty great binge.

8.5 out of 10 bloody noses.
    "That gum you like is going to come back in style."

Quote Originally Posted by Moribund View Post
    I don't know if anyone has seen Rectify (on the Sundance Channel). An amazing series. I watched the first 3 seasons on Netflix and then this last season live. Last night was the series finale and it was simply a perfect ending.

The few people who have had a negative word about the series stated it moved slowly, but many disagree and most who have seen it loved it.

Absolutely! The pace is slow to slower, and requires much patience, however it was very rewarding and worthy of praise.
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

I was just watching making-of vids for The Expanse Season 2 and The Magicians Season 2. In the one for The Expanse they were talking about the name of the ship, the Rocinante. One of the coauthors of the books, Daniel Abraham, just says "you know, like Don Quixote's horse". I thought, yeah sure. Did some Internet checking. Turns out that the other author, Ty Franck, is of course a big Rush fan. I'm thinking Ty got to name the ship.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Moribund View Post

My Wife and I LOVED Rectify!!!

Clear some room on your DVRs. Looks like HBO is going to run a massive marathon of all Game of Thrones episodes from the 26th to the 31st.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Don't let your meatloaf! Paulie's Avatar
    60+ hours of pure heaven right there.
    "That gum you like is going to come back in style."

A new season of Sherlock begins Sunday night on your PBS station (provided you're in the US). Not sure where it is on in Canuckistan and the UK.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulie View Post
    Just finished The OA (8 eps) on Netflix. An interesting, albeit ambiguous, jem focusing on near death experiences. I was absolutely hooked from beginning to end. Don't expect a tidy wrap-up here. There's more than enough unanswered questions and much left to interpretation (well, at least until season 2). That said, still a pretty great binge.

My wife watched that while I was in the room mostly listening to music on headphones, but from what I could see, it looked ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulie View Post

I was vacillating about watching this & was slightly intrigued. Now I'll watch it based on ^^^, PP. Stranger things have happened.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Just finished watching episode 1 of The OA. Now 2 people highly recommend it.

I now have a new (non-"Eleven") understanding of your nosebleed comment.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by adap2it View Post
    Absolutely! The pace is slow to slower, and requires much patience, however it was very rewarding and worthy of praise.
    Some of the best dramatic tv in years.

We binged it over 3 days and more than a dozen bottles of wine. Luckily we bottle our own so it's only about 3 bucks a bottle. :>O

Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I love American Gods, hope they don't screw it up.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    I love American Gods, hope they don't screw it up.
    Well, McShane sure nails his character. He's not how I pictured Wednesday but the way he says, "today is my day" is just right on the money.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Well the new Sherlock was quite excellent
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I watched the first episode of Luke Cage last night and was pretty impressed. Not sure what I expected, but it had more of a Blaxploitation feel than I thought it would. Looking forward to more.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally