Page 26 of 330 FirstFirst ... 162223242526272829303676126 ... LastLast

Thread: Current fav US TV series

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Did they deal with Escobar's death yet? I'm curious about how they handle it.

Spoiler:Pablo was shot in the ear while in a gunfight with Columbian police and killed. The thing is, no one on the police took that shot. They hit him in the leg and torso. Some say he took himself out and had said that was the way he'd do it rather than be arrested. BUT, I was listening to a morning drive show several years ago and an ex-intelligence officer was on. He said there's specific rules about killing foreign nationals. They have to face a threat to the US. Or you can take out an OBJECT that's a threat to the US. And then he said, "for example, if Pablo Escobar was holding a radio telephone to his ear a sniper could determine that that phone was a threat to the United States. Hmm
    A few years ago I read Mark Bowden’s excellently researched book “Killing Pablo” (highly recommended for anyone who enjoyed Narcos). Most of the claims of Pablo killing himself have come from his family, especially one of his sons, none of whom were eyewitness to the shooting. Their claims are based on their belief that Pablo would never let himself be killed and always vowed that he would shoot himself before being shot. Although not impossible, eyewitness accounts and the physical evidence don’t corroborate that claim.

Who did Bowden think fired the kill shot?
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Who did Bowden think fired the kill shot?
    I knew you were going to ask that. It has been several years since I read the book and don’t remember for sure. I don’t think that he names any particular individual, although there are individuals who claim to have fired the fatal shot if I remember right.

Have you ever seen the documentary based on Bowden’s book? Here it is on youtube. Start watching at about the 1:18 mark. Bowden talks about his theory on how Escobar died. The whole documentary is really good:

Don't let your meatloaf! Paulie's Avatar
    Prog Sighting: Anyone check out HBO's Divorce yet? Some good laughs along with some solid music selection. Ep 3 included a sulking Thomas Haden Church listening to Owner of a Lonely Heart while reading the liner notes to The Yes Album. At first I told my GF that they royally screwed that one up (to which she could give two flying fucks ), but then I noticed the 90125 LP jacket leaning against the turntable). The end credits rolled to Starship Trooper's Würm section.

Prog reference aside, its a pretty funny show with a good cast. THC is gold in this. And all I have ever wanted to say to Sara Jessica Parker is, "Why the long face?"
    "That gum you like is going to come back in style."

Currently watching: The Newsroom (Very good)
    Just finished : Ray Donovan (Superb)
    Wicked Recently watched faves: Better Call Saul ; The Shield ; The Killing ; Bloodline ; Rectify
    Guilty pleasures: Suits ; Weeds
    Would watch but are too political or too deep for the Mrs., so i have to do them on my own: House of Cards ; Game of Thrones

ooops in the Comedy catergory: The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmitt

Quote Originally Posted by Lino View Post
    Would watch but are too political or too deep for the Mrs., so i have to do them on my own: House of Cards ; Game of Thrones
    Are you saying Denise isn't as smart as you?

I'm telling on you.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Hahaha, no I'm saying she's never been in to politics, and doesn't really like politics...except she likes Trudeau and Obama. After 3 episodes of House of Cards, she asked me if Kevin Spacey was president or something. I said "lets try another series"
    As far as Game of Thrones...well, she liked the sex and violence, but...allll those family names and such... she found it difficult to keep track of who was who. lol Can't say i blame her.
    We actually jive quite a bit when it comes to TV series, and she has excellent taste afaic.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Might be a good time for a Game Of Thrones marathon & ignore all forms of news feed.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Man, Westworld is really getting fantastic...
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Man, Westworld is really getting fantastic...
    I'm watching the latest now.

***************** SPOILER *********************

In this latest episode, pretty sure during the scene where the guy who's the main programmer - don't remember his name - has to go down below for some reason, forget why, I'm pretty sure I saw a figure that was supposed to be Yul Brynner's gunslinger from the original movie in the background. Anyone else notice this? The exact same stance.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulie View Post
    Prog Sighting: Anyone check out HBO's Divorce yet?
    Love it. Dark comedy at its best.

Ep 3 included a sulking Thomas Haden Church listening to Owner of a Lonely Heart while reading the liner notes to The Yes Album. At first I told my GF that they royally screwed that one up (to which she could give two flying fucks ), but then I noticed the 90125 LP jacket leaning against the turntable).
    Yea, that was hilarious.
    Check out my concert videos on my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/broadaccent

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    In this latest episode, pretty sure during the scene where the guy who's the main programmer - don't remember his name - has to go down below for some reason, forget why, I'm pretty sure I saw a figure that was supposed to be Yul Brynner's gunslinger from the original movie in the background. Anyone else notice this? The exact same stance.
    Yep. I mentioned it to my wife, so she re-wound the DVR.

Don't let your meatloaf! Paulie's Avatar
    Totally missed that so I had to go back and see. I agree on the homage to Yul. Nice Easter egg. Very brief and out of focus but that's what great film making is all about. I thought Ed Harris' character was the gunslinger at first. Kudos for the non-rehash! Loving this show! HBO nails it again.
    "That gum you like is going to come back in style."

Been watching The Crown, a new Netflix series about the early days of Queen Elizabeth. Lush, sweeping series with solid sets, acting and musical score. I think John Lithgow should most certainly be nominated for his role as Winston Churchill, he does an outstanding job. Jared Harris as always was excellent too.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I have to say that American Horror Story had a great season this year. We had given up on it for the last 2, but was told this one was worth watching. Absolutely.

Westworld is awesome.

Shameless is still good too, they just can't help f'ing themselves over and over again. Perfect trainwreck.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

Prog Sighting: Anyone check out HBO's Divorce yet? Some good laughs along with some solid music selection. Ep 3 included a sulking Thomas Haden Church listening to Owner of a Lonely Heart while reading the liner notes to The Yes Album. At first I told my GF that they royally screwed that one up (to which she could give two flying fucks ), but then I noticed the 90125 LP jacket leaning against the turntable). The end credits rolled to Starship Trooper's Würm section.
    It's always fun spotting such connections. I have noticed that the player piano in the bar in Westworld is often playing Radiohead tunes, which I think is very cool!

Edit... Still waiting for Paranoid Android though
    Last edited by Sunlight Caller; 11-15-2016 at 10:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    I have to say that American Horror Story had a great season this year. We had given up on it for the last 2, but was told this one was worth watching. Absolutely.

Westworld is awesome.

Shameless is still good too, they just can't help f'ing themselves over and over again. Perfect trainwreck.
    I am still several episodes behind on both American Horror Story and Westworld, but am digging both so far.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Totally missed that so I had to go back and see. I agree on the homage to Yul. Nice Easter egg. Very brief and out of focus but that's what great film making is all about. I thought Ed Harris' character was the gunslinger at first. Kudos for the non-rehash! Loving this show! HBO nails it again.
    I see Ed Harris as an inversion of the gunslinger, being (and looking) similar, but a guest.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I'm watching the latest now.

***************** SPOILER *********************

https://assets3.thrillist.com/v1/ima...ult_mobile.jpg

I have to say that I am thoroughly enjoying Season 2 of Marco Polo. The characters and storylines are starting develop nicely and the sets and costumes are total eye candy! (So are the Asian ladies...)
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    I have to say that I am thoroughly enjoying Season 2 of Marco Polo. The characters and storylines are starting develop nicely and the sets and costumes are total eye candy! (So are the Asian ladies...)
    <Homer Simpson voice> Asian ladies. </Homer Simpson voice>
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Westworld series 1 wrapped up Sunday and next season won't start till maybe 2018.

Any thoughts on this fantastic series?

DtB
    Last edited by Dave the Brave; 12-06-2016 at 12:43 PM.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    So I just got access to Netflix to watch Stranger Things and Jessica Jones, anything else I should be watching?
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.