Page 24 of 329 FirstFirst ... 142021222324252627283474124 ... LastLast

Thread: Current fav US TV series

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    Anyone still watching Mr Robot? This week's episode was stunning.
    They've been building up on my Tivo. I'll get to it soon, once I'm finished with The Night Of, which is excellent btw....
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I finally had the chance to finish “Stanger Things” last weekend. I enjoyed it and will be back for season #2, but it did not blow me away like it seems to have for other people here and on Facebook. Although I enjoyed the homage to 80’s era cinema some of the scenes were almost direct lifts from those films. I guess maybe that was the point, but it seemed a little too much at times. There were certainly some plot holes as well. I did enjoy it for the most part though.

One quick question that I have not seen discussed. When 11 first went into the other dimension there was a man in uniform speaking what sounded like Russian standing there talking, but not seemingly aware of 11. Just curious of people’s interpretation of that scene? Are they implying that the Russians are also experimenting with this other dimension?

I was debating earlier today whether to binge watch Scandal, which I've never seen. Worthwhile?
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Here's decent interview with the Duffer Brothers. They seem confident there'll be another season (and I'd guess there will), but this interview doesn't say it's guaranteed or anything.

http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/stra...-2-1201816664/
    Very interesting interview. Thanks for posting.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I finally had the chance to finish “Stanger Things” last weekend. I enjoyed it and will be back for season #2, but it did not blow me away like it seems to have for other people here and on Facebook. Although I enjoyed the homage to 80’s era cinema some of the scenes were almost direct lifts from those films. I guess maybe that was the point, but it seemed a little too much at times. There were certainly some plot holes as well. I did enjoy it for the most part though.

One quick question that I have not seen discussed. When 11 first went into the other dimension there was a man in uniform speaking what sounded like Russian standing there talking, but not seemingly aware of 11. Just curious of people’s interpretation of that scene? Are they implying that the Russians are also experimenting with this other dimension?
    I think that's one of those things they left dangling for next season. The Duffers have said there was a lot they left hanging to bring into the next season while at least wrapping up the monster saga and getting Will back. The bad doctor didn't seem surprised that she encountered someone speaking Russian. So either he knows the Russians were working on this as well or, he colluding with someone in the USSR. Someone get Matthew Modine a guest shot on the Americans so Keri Russell can kick the living shit out of him.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

YMMV, but I'm pretty sure these experiments started off with 11 as what the "Art Bell" crowd calls "Remote Viewing" - being able to psychically "eavesdrop" on targeted individuals. IIRC they started off with the guy reading in the other room in the building as one of the early experiments, and as the extent of 11's abilities were further defined and determined by the researchers, the experiments progressed with the sensory deprivation tank - this is where the Russian fits in - she was remote viewing that target who was in the USSR. Then, things went to shit in the session where she encountered the creature (in follow-up to that first meeting Papa encouraged her to interact with it if she encountered it again - and when she did, it caused the dimensional rift / opening of the Upside Down).

ETA: The Russian was completely unaware of 11's surveillance. Remote Viewing was an active CIA/Area 51 program using psychic phenomena like RV and telekinesis as Cold War / spy tools. It was satirized in the George Clooney movie "The Men Who Stared at Goats".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remote_viewing
    Last edited by -=RTFR666=-; 09-21-2016 at 04:05 PM. Reason: added the wiki link
    -=Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?=-

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    The first season of Bloodline was nice, getting a bit tense at the end. The second season is tense from the start and only gets grittier and more anxiety prone as it goes along. Well worth watching.
    It's on my list... I like to watch shows one at a time. Currently watching the second season of Narcos.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

So since no one has watched Scandal, what about the pilot for Designated Survivor tonight. I'm in.

I always thought Natasha McElhone was hot on Californication, so that's a bonus.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Anyone watching the new season of “American Horror Story”? I got caught up on it over the weekend. Not sure how I feel about it yet.

^ Thanks for the reminder, I had completely forgotten about that.

I see that HBO is coming out with a series based on 70s movie Westworld. How weird is that?

Anyone watching the new season of “American Horror Story”? I got caught up on it over the weekend. Not sure how I feel about it yet.
    I'm not sure either. It's not an immediate train wreck like Hotel but certainly not as captivating as the first season. At least we don't have Jessica Lange throwing ham all over the place.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    ^ Thanks for the reminder, I had completely forgotten about that.

I see that HBO is coming out with a series based on 70s movie Westworld. How weird is that?
    Loved the movie back in the day so looking forward to what HBO does with the concept.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I'm not sure either. It's not an immediate train wreck like Hotel but certainly not as captivating as the first season. At least we don't have Jessica Lange throwing ham all over the place.
    Pretty much how I feel as well. They are certainly borrowing from other horror movies ("Blair Witch Project", "The VVitch", etc.), but sticking with it so far.

I am rather late to the Stranger Things party, but just completed the series in two sittings and loved it. So many references to earlier movies of course, but I think that is entirely the point. I thought they wrapped up most lose ends though, leaving not much hanging for series 2. I'm sure their imaginations can take us somewhere else though, I just hope 11 is in the next phase as she was totally captivating.

The Men Who Stared At Goats was mentioned above, I pavement seen the movie but the source boo by Jon Ronson is really worth a read.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunlight Caller View Post
    I am rather late to the Stranger Things party, but just completed the series in two sittings and loved it. So many references to earlier movies of course, but I think that is entirely the point. I thought they wrapped up most lose ends though, leaving not much hanging for series 2. I'm sure their imaginations can take us somewhere else though, I just hope 11 is in the next phase as she was totally captivating.
    They definitely leave that door open, as SPOILER ALERT the Sheriff was leaving the Eggo's out for 11 in that forest drop box at the end...
    -=Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?=-

Checked out Westworld on Sunday. Seems promising... interesting premise and a solid cast.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by -=RTFR666=- View Post
    They definitely leave that door open, as SPOILER ALERT the Sheriff was leaving the Eggo's out for 11 in that forest drop box at the end...
    Oh yes I was hopeful at that point but I read an interview with her and she was cagey about the potential for being in the second series, possibly just playing up the mystique.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Checked out Westworld on Sunday. Seems promising... interesting premise and a solid cast.
    Caught it as well. It was excellent! Anthony Hopkins, Ed Harris, Evan Rachel Wood. I hope it continues to be this good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just finished the new season of “Narcos” on Netflix. I enjoyed it for the most part and thought they kept things pretty accurate from a historical perspective. Even though the Escobar story has come to a close it looks like they may be going to a season 3 with the Cali cartel.

Any of you catch the Stranger Things skit Saturday Night Live did over the weekend? I thought it was pretty funny:

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    So since no one has watched Scandal, what about the pilot for Designated Survivor tonight. I'm in.
    I just binge-watched the first 3 episodes.

It's pretty good so far.
    Regards,

Duncan

Banned
    I'm rooting for Westworld to be great. Episode two is building a little interest. The sets and cast and cinematography are excellent but let's see what comes out of the writer's room in the coming weeks. I'll get weary of the violence after a while if they keep leaning on that. Maybe I'm just spoiled by Breaking Bad, but nothing's really floating my boat at the moment.

Any of you catch the Stranger Things skit Saturday Night Live did over the weekend? I thought it was pretty funny:
    Yes, and I had a good laugh at the new cast member who played Winona Ryder in that skit!

Any love for Bojack Horseman here? Just finished the 3rd season and I find it to be one of the funniest and darkest shows on TV.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-