Page 23 of 328 FirstFirst ... 131920212223242526273373123 ... LastLast

Thread: Current fav US TV series

Quote Originally Posted by UnephenStephen View Post
    +1 eg: where did the monster come from and why was the 'evil corporation' harboring it? was there a connection with 11's mind control experiments?
    I remember those questions being answered by someone but don't remember who; maybe it was Eleven herself. And, yes, the experiments with Eleven opened up the portal into the other dimension. So, Hawkins Lab wasn't "harboring" it, exactly; the portal just happened to be in their building.

why didn't the monster eat Will like it did everyone else including Barb?
    I wondered about that myself. The only thing I could figure was he wasn't actually abducted but simply blundered into the other dimension and just managed to evade the monster. His mom, I think, did say he was good at hiding. Or something like that. I'm going from memory so I can't recall precisely.

how did the face and Will's image appear in mom's wall? how did Will control and communicate through the lights? i could go on..
    Good questions.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

I suspect they withheld some answers for season two. That is assuming they aren't making up shit as they go along, like JJ Abrams and his cronies did on Lost.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I love ST. I agree that they left some "WTFs" to clarify next season. If they don't then there will be some viewer desertion for sure after a few episodes.

I hope they figure out a way to still involve 11 in some way. She was f*****g riveting! Great young actor.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by UnephenStephen View Post
    +1
    eg: where did the monster come from and why was the 'evil corporation' harboring it? was there a connection with 11's mind control experiments? why didn't the monster eat Will like it did everyone else including Barb? how did the face and Will's image appear in mom's wall? how did Will control and communicate through the lights? i could go on..
    Also, so this is an parallel universe - why does it have everything in the town (and presumably on earth), but seems to have only that one monster as an inhabitant?
    Where did 11 come from, and why does she have her powers? How did they make the opening into the parallel universe?

Again, I enjoyed it and it was well done, but being well done with good characters and performances, while important, is secondary to having a good, more or less complete story. Having THAT is really the hard part.

Does anyone know if another season was confirmed?

Here's decent interview with the Duffer Brothers. They seem confident there'll be another season (and I'd guess there will), but this interview doesn't say it's guaranteed or anything.

http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/stra...-2-1201816664/

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Also, so this is an parallel universe - why does it have everything in the town (and presumably on earth), but seems to have only that one monster as an inhabitant?
    Remember when the chief pulled that thing out Will's mouth in episode 8? I figured it was like Alien and some people are used as hosts so there are probably more monsters but we didn't see them. It would also explain why Will wasn't eaten. And it also explains why there are no other people; they've all been eaten.

Where did 11 come from, and why does she have her powers?
    It was implied in episode 6 that she's the daughter of the woman named Terry who was involved in Project MKUltra. Eleven is Terry's daughter Jane who was abducted by the gov't for more experiments.

How did they make the opening into the parallel universe?
    Eleven did that in episode 6 when Matthew Modine made her go back into that water tank. She found the monster munching on someone and when she touched it, it turned around and she freaked out, causing the rupture in the wall and in the process creating the portal.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    Remember when the chief pulled that thing out Will's mouth in episode 8? I figured it was like Alien and some people are used as hosts so there are probably more monsters but we didn't see them. It would also explain why Will wasn't eaten. And it also explains why there are no other people; they've all been eaten.

It was implied in episode 6 that she's the daughter of the woman named Terry who was involved in Project MKUltra. Eleven is Terry's daughter Jane who was abducted by the gov't for more experiments.

Eleven did that in episode 6 when Matthew Modine made her go back into that water tank. She found the monster munching on someone and when she touched it, it turned around and she freaked out, causing the rupture in the wall and in the process creating the portal.
    Did they show the rupture being created? I don't remember that.

I guess 11 is supposed to be Terry's daughter, but what were the experiments that gave her telekinetic powers? And why did they have her going in the tank in the first place? Did that have to do with her telekinetic powers?

I don't mind if they've left things unanswered, as long as there's a season 2 with those answers.

Did they show the rupture being created? I don't remember that.
    Yep. Watch this:

I guess 11 is supposed to be Terry's daughter, but what were the experiments that gave her telekinetic powers? And why did they have her going in the tank in the first place? Did that have to do with her telekinetic powers?
    It's implied that the MKUltra drug experiments were what created Eleven's powers.

The tank was a sensory deprivation tank. You first see it in episode 5 when Matthew Modine wants her to spy on some guy (a Soviet?) who was far away. I assumed the reason they used it was to eliminate all extraneous stimuli so that she could better concentrate on her task. It was during that telepathic trip that she first sensed the monster (remember when she started running and the camera cut to her in the tank and she was screaming "help"?).

Too many pages to read, but I just discovered Jessica Jones on Netflix today. I figure it's already been discussed here.

Discovery was accidental, but when I instantly recognized the actor (Krysten Ritter) as Jesse's OD'd girlfriend from Breaking Bad, I decided to watch episode 1. Up to episode 4 now & really digging it. Glad it was renewed (I checked) for a season 2 even tho' I still haven't watched all of season 1.

EDIT: I'm not normally a MARVEL type guy.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    I'll just say that the first part of the episode makes for quite the WTF?! moment. Pretty daring stuff.
    Jesus, that was a great episode. The best of the season, so far.

Finally placed that track in the Stranger Things soundtrack - Elegia by New Order. I was thinking New Order because that guitar sound is so distinctive, but it has such a horror soundtrack build. Anyway, they chose a lot of cool music. But wasn't that Gabriel's version of Heroes? Wrong time period.

I love the 80s synth sounds in the opening credits. They hit that tone quite well.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I love the 80s synth sounds in the opening credits. They hit that tone quite well.
    They did indeed, and furthermore the whole opening sequence looks like an 80s movie I would have rented on Betamax or VHS when I was a kid! They did a very good job.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    They did indeed, and furthermore the whole opening sequence looks like an 80s movie I would have rented on Betamax or VHS when I was a kid! They did a very good job.
    Yeah, and I like how the title almost looks like it says Stephen King.

Finally placed that track in the Stranger Things soundtrack - Elegia by New Order. I was thinking New Order because that guitar sound is so distinctive, but it has such a horror soundtrack build. Anyway, they chose a lot of cool music. But wasn't that Gabriel's version of Heroes? Wrong time period.
    did you know that the full soundtrack is available on iTunes? 2 volumes. sounds like mostly atmospherics though.
    "She said you are the air I breathe
    The life I love, the dream I weave."

Unevensong - Camel

^ I did know - thanks.

Can we talk about bad tv shows for a minute? I saw that the 60s series "It's About Time" was on one of those wacky channels I never watch. I remembered the theme song but that's all, so I watched a few minutes. Man, was that a bad show! It makes something like Land of the Giants or Lost in Space look like Shakespeare.

I just remember the theme song which we kids would sing as "it's about time, it's about space, it's about time I fart in your face"

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    ^ I did know - thanks.

Can we talk about bad tv shows for a minute? I saw that the 60s series "It's About Time" was on one of those wacky channels I never watch. I remembered the theme song but that's all, so I watched a few minutes. Man, was that a bad show!
    I watched it when I was about 5.
    Gronk: "Ooh! Ooh!"
    Clon: "Clon kill!"
    That's about all I remember. Later I saw Car 54 reruns (too you to see the first run), "hey, that's the Ooh Ooh guy!"

The wife and I did some Netflix binging over the weekend. Finished the new season of “Orange Is The New Black”. Personally I think this series has slid downhill quite a ways from where it started. The new season was just ok. I thought it started out pretty bad, but then picked up in the middle. The last part of it was hit and miss.

We then watched the first 4 episodes of “Stranger Things”, and I am definitely hooked. Not sure when we will be able to watch the rest of it with ProgDay coming up this weekend, but I am pretty impressed so far.

for us ST fans, just saw this on Twitface..

S2
    "She said you are the air I breathe
    The life I love, the dream I weave."

Unevensong - Camel

Should I check out Netflix' Bloodline?
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    Should I check out Netflix' Bloodline?
    If you're into watching entitled Florida Keys folks behaving badly, I say go for it.
    -=Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?=-

The first season of Bloodline was nice, getting a bit tense at the end. The second season is tense from the start and only gets grittier and more anxiety prone as it goes along. Well worth watching.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

Anyone still watching Mr Robot? This week's episode was stunning.

Limitless on Netflix, with both Jennifer Carpenter from Dexter & Mary Eliz Mastrantonio from The Abyss & other Hollywood stuff, along with some guy I don't know who's a combo slacker/drug-induced wizard for the FBI & he's really good, is what I'm bingeing right now. Lots of angst, action and also laughs.