Page 20 of 330 FirstFirst ... 101617181920212223243070120 ... LastLast

Thread: Current fav US TV series

Quote Originally Posted by Buddhabreath View Post
    You might have been a tad hasty writing off Vinyl. I enjoyed season one and thought it had some great characters and top-drawer acting and the re-creation of the 70s was great fun. I think you should give it another chance, it has been largely well received by critics FWIW... and there's a major shake-up for season 2 with a new show-runner and executive producer. HBO seems invested in trying to make this a success.
    If it were available for free, I might reconsider - but pay for play? Meh, I'll pass...
    -=Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?=-

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    I've seen the first two episodes and plan to watch the rest. Good show... and a bit bizarre and twisted.
    i'm finding it rather slow. and they don't explain anything - why this outer space entity blew up the first 2 preachers it inhabited but not Jesse (of course that would mean the end of the show but it still needs to be explained), who are the 2 guys tracking down this entity and how do they know where it is, the irish vampire guy (who i find annoying) - who/what the f*** is he, etc. i might give it 2 more episodes but if it doesn't pick up the pace, i'm dropping it.
    Last edited by UnephenStephen; 06-10-2016 at 05:48 PM.
    "She said you are the air I breathe
    The life I love, the dream I weave."

Unevensong - Camel

I've been enjoying The Path recently... 7 episodes in, 3 to go (in the first and so far only season)... anyone else checking this one out? Aaron Paul from Breaking Bad stars as a member of a nutty cult who is having second thoughts. Pretty intriguing, and a slow-burning ominous tone.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Person of Interest seems to be going out with a bang.

This week's episode was directed by Tim Matheson. I wonder if CBS told Bad Robot, "You f---ed up! You trusted us!".
    Without spoiling anything, numbers from seasons 1, 2 & 4 played key roles.

The season-ender for The Americans was pretty intense, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    The season-ender for The Americans was pretty intense, too.
    Shit. I've still got episodes from last season to watch. I still plan on it but for some reason I don't feel very motivated.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Get a move on. This season has been very, very good. Definitely one of the best drama series out there.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

<saluting> Yes sir!
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

I had no clue that "Hell On Wheels" final season was starting up last night. Just saw it on my DVR this morning.

I was feeling a bit under the weather this weekend, so the wife and I took a day today to stay home and binge watch "House Of Cards" on Netflix. This really is an amazing TV series. Outstanding acting and writing.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    TNT's The Last Ship postponed their season premiere because a nightclub shooting is depicted.

DVRd & then watched the first 2 episodes of Animal Kingdom on TNT last night. Stars Ellen Barkin (have been a fan since the "so bad it's good" Eddie & The Cruisers).

She plays the matriarch of a crime family of her misfit children. It's almost like Breaking Bad meets Father (Mother) Knows Best thanks to Barkin's complex character.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    DVRd & then watched the first 2 episodes of Animal Kingdom on TNT last night. Stars Ellen Barkin (have been a fan since the "so bad it's good" Eddie & The Cruisers).

She plays the matriarch of a crime family of her misfit children. It's almost like Breaking Bad meets Father (Mother) Knows Best thanks to Barkin's complex character.
    Saw the adds for this and thought it looked interesting.

Based off the 2010 Aussie movie of the same name. Starring Guy Pearce, Joel Edgerton, and Jackie Weaver as the Matriarch (in an Oscar nominated performance). That's a good film.

I'll need to check out the show.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I had no clue that "Hell On Wheels" final season was starting up last night. Just saw it on my DVR this morning.
    What season would that be 3,4,5?
    I've seen seasons 1 & 2. Great series.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    What season would that be 3,4,5?
    I've seen seasons 1 & 2. Great series.
    I think it is technically the 2nd half of season 5. It is one of those shows that AMC splits up the seasons (similar to Walking Dead, Breaking Bad, etc.).

Wonder how it measures up to the movie...
    -=Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?=-

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Person of Interest seems to be going out with a bang.
    Yep. And the finale was one of the best episodes in a long time. So I checked. It was written by creator Jonathan Nolan and exec-producer Denise Thé. Too bad they couldn't have written all the episodes.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Get a move on. This season has been very, very good. Definitely one of the best drama series out there.
    I've been finally watching episodes from last season of The Americans. Don't know why I quit watching, but I'm hooked again! Will be starting this season very soon.

Mr Robot has just started season 2 this evening (Wed)!

If you haven't seen this show, you should. I found it excellent.

So let down by the Schwimmer show on AMC called "Feed the Beast". Deon is a cancer of a character. His death by 1000 baseball bats will be glorious.
    Schwimmer is just a milquetoast functional alcoholic a-hole crippled by the death of his wife. Lots of fertile ground to plant characters and the stories they fertilize. But the writers suck so much that they just don't know what to do with them.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Probably going to get sucked in by Outcast
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Making my way through the four seasons of The Wild Wild West.

Quote Originally Posted by frinspar View Post
    So let down by the Schwimmer show on AMC called "Feed the Beast".
    Watched the pilot, and had no interest after that.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Probably going to get sucked in by Outcast
    Watched the first five of these, in the hopes that it was going to get better but it never did. A lot of horror cliches lifted directly from specific films, but never made scary in this. The preacher is an annoying character, and the whole thing just seemed lifeless to me. Felt like a chore to watch another episode, so I deleted it from the Tivo.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Watched the pilot, and had no interest after that.

Watched the first five of these, in the hopes that it was going to get better but it never did. A lot of horror cliches lifted directly from specific films, but never made scary in this. The preacher is an annoying character, and the whole thing just seemed lifeless to me. Felt like a chore to watch another episode, so I deleted it from the Tivo.
    That's my worry, I'm only 3 in, its kind of interesting but not sure if it will make the grade.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Anyone still watching Preacher? There's so much about this show that would ordinarily (and superficially, I should add) turn me off. It's offbeat enough, however, that it's captured my attention in a big way.

best thing on right now is Braindead...