Page 15 of 330 FirstFirst ... 51112131415161718192565115 ... LastLast

Thread: Current fav US TV series

Which network has Beowulf?

Beowulf is on ESQ (Esquire?) channel.

Also trying to watch London Spy on BBC, but each episode is an erotic gay fest. I know there is a story here but I'm getting really tired of the long homo scenes.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    Thanks. I've never heard of it, but I'll see if I can find it on my cable.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Maybe not current, but we've started watching the show Louie (Louis C.K.) - goddamn, that is the funniest show ever! Makes something like Seinfeld seem like Yogi Bear.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    The Magicians series is set around students in their early twenties at a grad-school for magic. They swear, screw, drink, do drugs, and fuck up (like people in their early twenties do). It's taken about four episodes to hit its stride. I read the books so I was locked in no matter what. My wife was getting impatient with it but last night's episode hooked her for good.
    kinda got a thing for Alice..

"She said you are the air I breathe
    The life I love, the dream I weave."

Unevensong - Camel

"...see those birds there, well after the show i'll be doing to those birds what you are doing to me" ~ Robert Plant quote in VINYL tv series
    hahahaha... that was Robert plant talking to the promoter, I watched Vinyl again this evening, saw it when it was first broadcasted last Tuesday but today was just as good

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Shanarra seems pretty good in a cheesy lower budget LOTR / GOT sort of way, the wife loves it. I've been enjoying the X-Files, the debut was pretty weak but they've got back to the monster theme that I enjoy over the alien theme that always seemed rather forced. I've recorded Vinyl so will check that out later. Elementary is probably my biggest 'must watch' at the moment, I love the pacing & feel and of course Watson's legs. Father Brown is a nice lightweight period crime drama. Agent Carter is a good fun Marvel action story. Life In Pieces is probably the best comedy I've seen since Big Bang with a nice setup of 4 small set pieces. Last Week Tonight is a wonderfully acerbic bite at all that is wrong with the world.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonia_Mota View Post
    "...see those birds there, well after the show i'll be doing to those birds what you are doing to me" ~ Robert Plant quote in VINYL tv series
    hahahaha... that was Robert plant talking to the promoter, I watched Vinyl again this evening, saw it when it was first broadcasted last Tuesday but today was just as good
    I have it DVR'd, but have not had the chance to watch it yet (probably this weekend). Everyone I have talked to who saw it liked it.

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Thanks. I've never heard of it, but I'll see if I can find it on my cable.
    I found it, but I only made it through about 20 minutes of ep 1. A shame, as the subject matter should have been in my wheelhouse. I have 2 or 3 Beowulf movie DVDs.

Watched ep. 1 of Shades Of Blue tonight. Pretty good, I'm going to give it a chance. Anyone else watching this?

Had the chance to watch the premier of Vinyl this afternoon. Amazing show. HBO does it again. I would think that a lot of people on this forum would really dig it with all the music involved.

Anybody ever watch The Venture Bros? In case you didn't know, the 6th season started 3 weeks ago. I forgot to mention it. Sorry.

So far, this season has been as good as seasons 1 & 2. If you've never seen it, check it out. It's on Sundays at midnight as part of the Cartoon Network's "Adult Swim" programming.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Elementary is probably my biggest 'must watch' at the moment, I love the pacing & feel and of course Watson's legs.
    I don't know why, but I got tired of this show. But you're right about Lucy Liu's legs. The only woman on TV, right now, whose legs I like better are Beth Behr's. She's the toothy blonde on Two Broke Girls. She also has a great ass.

Life In Pieces is probably the best comedy I've seen since Big Bang with a nice setup of 4 small set pieces.
    I really like that show, too. There was a dud of an episode not too long ago, but it's usually pretty good and often makes me laugh.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Had the chance to watch the premier of Vinyl this afternoon. Amazing show. HBO does it again. I would think that a lot of people on this forum would really dig it with all the music involved.
    I watched both the pilot and first episode this weekend. YMMV but, JEEZE, what a revisionist history clusterfuck, and of course prog gets thrown under the bus with cheap shots taken at Yes, ELP, and Tull, and the usual idol worship / Wennerish-jeans-creaming over Warhol, the VU, glam, and punk...

Only decent things about this one is Ray Romano and Juno Temple...and the attempts recreating a lot of the rock monomyths - e.g., working LedZep / Peter Grant into the show mythology? - - - PaTHETIC.

Never thought I'd diss a Scorsese effort, but...this has got to be one of the shittiest productions associated with R-N-R - IMO natch - this makes the movie FM look like Oscar-bait.

You may now commence with the flaming, folks
    -=Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?=-

Wasn't punk a bit later, like in the 80's? Having lived through the 70's and 80's in NY I can remember a lot of hype around prog and glam rock, but punk was definitely a small niche scene and not mainstream at all.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

1976 more or less.

Better Call Saul just keeps getting "Better" I think we have another hit after Breaking Bad... My wifes Cousin is still doing the Digital sound editing for this show like she did Breaking Bad. She says the shows only get funnier and more dramatic as the season goes on. She says she cant believe how good it gets...

For me, I can watch BCS over and over again and its still really entertaining.

Reference - Vinyl & Punk, The act they had on stage looked like it was meant to be the New York Dolls who were one of the early proto-punk bands, their debut was '73. They played the Mercer Art Center weekly in 73 until its August 73 collapse, it actually collapsed 20 minutes before a performance rather than during. Blondie, The Ramones, Patti Smith and Television were all playing CGBG's by the end of 74.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by -=RTFR666=- View Post
    I watched both the pilot and first episode this weekend. YMMV but, JEEZE, what a revisionist history clusterfuck, and of course prog gets thrown under the bus with cheap shots taken at Yes, ELP, and Tull, and the usual idol worship / Wennerish-jeans-creaming over Warhol, the VU, glam, and punk...

Only decent things about this one is Ray Romano and Juno Temple...and the attempts recreating a lot of the rock monomyths - e.g., working LedZep / Peter Grant into the show mythology? - - - PaTHETIC.

Never thought I'd diss a Scorsese effort, but...this has got to be one of the shittiest productions associated with R-N-R - IMO natch - this makes the movie FM look like Oscar-bait.

You may now commence with the flaming, folks
    Interesting……I actually thought the Ray Romano character was one of the weakest things about the show.

Overall the show had it’s flaws, but I pretty much dug it.

I was the same, flawed but good.
    Ian

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Squat Cobbler

I LOVE how Better Call Saul just makes up "things" that then become actual things, Squat Cobbler, Chicago Sunroof, Biz-natch... The writers will give us an entire generation of brand new things that never existed prior to the show. I laughed so hard I cried when Saul started telling the Cops about "squat cobbler" Its even funnier the second time...

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Interesting……I actually thought the Ray Romano character was one of the weakest things about the show.

Overall the show had it’s flaws, but I pretty much dug it.
    Yeah, it's that, for me, Ray's character and Lester Grimes were pretty much the only likeable ones in the entire cast. I cited Juno Temple previously, but not for her likeability...

Like with Jimmy McGill or Walter White or the folks in Fargo - ya gotta have someone to root for even when they're knee-deep in the douchebaggery...
    -=Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?=-

Quote Originally Posted by Yodelgoat View Post
    I LOVE how Better Call Saul just makes up "things" that then become actual things, Squat Cobbler, Chicago Sunroof, Biz-natch... The writers will give us an entire generation of brand new things that never existed prior to the show. I laughed so hard I cried when Saul started telling the Cops about "squat cobbler" Its even funnier the second time...
    Agreed, incredible scene.

Totally immersed in Season 2 of Fringe at the moment. A few months ago I picked up the box sets of S1 and S2 secondhand, stupidly cheap. She's got a touch of the Clare Danes' quirky-ugly-beautiful about her hasn't she?

^ That series went to shit in the last 2 years of its run. Consider yourself forewarned.