Page 107 of 330 FirstFirst ... 75797103104105106107108109110111117157207 ... LastLast
Results 2,651 to 2,675 of 8243

Thread: Current fav US TV series

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    I may pass on Stranger Things 3. When you watch a show just to constantly point out all the plot holes, it may be time to move on...
    Sounds like it's just not for you then.

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    I thought Season 2 of Stranger Things was just as good. Very much looking forward to Season 3.
    Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    I'm with Klonky.
    Same here. I never thought we'd get a mainstream TV show that deals with kids going up against Lovecraftian horrors from a parallel dimension. The Duffer brothers really leaned into that aspect with the Mind Flayer in season 2. Then add in that the characters are all so likable (at least IMO), and it's hard not to love this show.

The trailer looks fantastic, and the budget seems to have been upped considerably. Definitely seems like they've been inspired by John Carpenter's "The Thing", and I cannot wait to see how it all plays out.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Sounds like it's just not for you then.
    I will probably give it a shot anyway. I have already watched the first two. However I won't hesitate to move on if it becomes too predictable or insipid.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Then add in that the characters are all so likable (at least IMO), and it's hard not to love this show.
    This is a big part of it, IMO. I like watching the characters interact and do their thing. And I also enjoy the nostalgia.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    This is a big part of it, IMO. I like watching the characters interact and do their thing. And I also enjoy the nostalgia.
    +1
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    The nostalgia is a huge part of the draw for me. The early 80's theme is near and dear to me as a kid who was born in '71. Can't help, but reflect the whole time watching.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

I was already 18 in 1984, and already living as an "adult" in many ways. if the show took place in the mid to late 70s I'd probably buy into the nostalgia theme more...

I will probably give it a shot anyway. I have already watched the first two. However I won't hesitate to move on if it becomes too predictable or insipid.
    Hard to believe we're talking about the same show here.

The nostalgia is a huge part of the draw for me. The early 80's theme is near and dear to me as a kid who was born in '71. Can't help, but reflect the whole time watching.
    I was born in 1984, so my 80s experience was limited to the latter half -- but I still enjoy the nostalgia.

I was already 18 in 1984, and already living as an "adult" in many ways. if the show took place in the mid to late 70s I'd probably buy into the nostalgia theme more...
    Cmon...you were still playing with Lego's at 18. The only thing was that you were listening to metal in the background Admit it!

I can handle the little plot inconsistencies in Stranger Things far better than the "and now someone will do something incredibly stupid to advance the plot" trope on Walking Dead. And they did that over and over and over...
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I can handle the little plot inconsistencies in Stranger Things far better than the "and now someone will do something incredibly stupid to advance the plot" trope on Walking Dead. And they did that over and over and over...
    The Walking Dead is even to shitty now for me to handle. Now that's bad!

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Yes, thank you for saying this.

Cmon...you were still playing with Lego's at 18. The only thing was that you were listening to metal in the background Admit it!
    I was too high to put 2 pieces of Lego together... 1982 to 1985 is, for the most part, a huge hole in my memory.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I was too high to put 2 pieces of Lego together... 1982 to 1985 is, for the most part, a huge hole in my memory.
    Mine was between 1976 and 1980. A day without dope was like a say without sunshine.

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    I know how you feel. I've had season 3 of Mr Robot on my watch list for over a year.

I've mentioned this before, I think, and I was having a recent discussion of this with my niece but do any of you remember how long a season was for a TV show from the '50s or '60s? They ran anywhere from 30 to as much as 39 episodes! They started scaling back in the mid to late '60s. And they also didn't preempt their show just because of a holiday or some major sporting event. The Walking Dead (yes, I still watch it; don't judge me. ) aired its last episode before winter break on Nov 25th but didn't continue until Feb 10th. WTF? And on top of that, it's only 16 episodes to begin with!

So for me, a big problem is that the seasons of so many cable and streaming shows are really only half seasons or less, so after you've binged a season of some show in less than a week, you have to wait almost a year to see what happens next.

As for Stranger Things, I had mixed feelings about season 2. I enjoyed it, for the most part, but didn't feel it lived up to S1. I'm sure I'll watch S3 but I'm a little on the fence about it.
    This came about because of the writers strike, IIRC, in the early 2000's. Joss Whedon went online for Dr. Horrible's and Battlestar Galactica, IIRC, in DVD form, were released in seasons 2.0 and 2.1 just to make more money. The law of unintended consequences, I'd say. I didn't explain that well enough but screw it.

I could be wrong on that but that's my faulty memory for ya. In any case, the series ending episode of Miracle Workers is coming up and it's episode ten. Seriously, gimme something I can sink my few remaining teeth into. Just getting into it and it's over? Ten? Are you kidding me?
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

When you watch a show just to constantly point out all the plot holes, it may be time to move on...
    I know "plot holes", as you use the phrase here, are a specific and valid literary thing, but If I couldn't willingly suspend my disbelief or the need to critically analyse I'd probably never watch any television or movies at all. Rare is the work of art or entertainment that doesn't have some sort of inconsistency to it. Real-ness (in the sense of "this could happen or make logical sense in the real world") just isn't what it's about to me (which is probably why I hate almost all "reality TV" with a passion). Others' mileage, obviously, varies.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Quote Originally Posted by proggy_jazzer View Post
    I know "plot holes", as you use the phrase here, are a specific and valid literary thing, but If I couldn't willingly suspend my disbelief or the need to critically analyse I'd probably never watch any television or movies at all. Rare is the work of art or entertainment that doesn't have some sort of inconsistency to it. Real-ness (in the sense of "this could happen or make logical sense in the real world") just isn't what it's about to me (which is probably why I hate almost all "reality TV" with a passion). Others' mileage, obviously, varies.
    Oh I'm so with you on this. Consider it a gift my friend...there is so much more to enjoy! . How is it any fun if you're guns are out at all times waiting to point out flaws, plot holes or inconsistencies? Sure, there are times when the stupid is so glaring that it can't be avoided, but sometimes I think people actually just watch stuff to find the mistakes! I don't get it.

Oh I'm so with you on this. Consider it a gift my friend...there is so much more to enjoy! . How is it any fun if you're guns are out at all times waiting to point out flaws, plot holes or inconsistencies? Sure, there are times when the stupid is so glaring that it can't be avoided, but sometimes I think people actually just watch stuff to find the mistakes! I don't get it.
    As someone who reads voraciously, I am used to a certain quality of story. TV and movies rarely measure up. It's not like you WANT to find these inconsistencies, it's that you do, and you figure "If I can see this glaring error, how did everyone who worked on this project miss it?". Some people can literally turn off their brains, but I cannot.

And it is VERY fun to watch a show solely to point out the plot failures and inattention to detail. It is often more fun than being drawn in to the insipid storyline! Why do you think some of the biggest cult movies ever are also some of the worse ever made?

And it is VERY fun to watch a show solely to point out the plot failures and inattention to detail. It is often more fun than being drawn in to the insipid storyline! Why do you think some of the biggest cult movies ever are also some of the worse ever made?
    You know this is a great point actually. I am after all a HUGE low budget horror fan and that is part of the fun for sure.

Trust me, I never go into a show thinking about trashing it. I let things slide, but when they slide too much, I react. To bring all this back to Strangers Things, it never got that bad for me. Season 2 was just a slight let down from Season 1. I will give Season 3 a chance before trashing. I always do.

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    I'm with Klonky.
    Moi aussi.
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."

...I am used to a certain quality of story. TV and movies rarely measure up. It's not like you WANT to find these inconsistencies, it's that you do, and you figure "If I can see this glaring error, how did everyone who worked on this project miss it?". Some people can literally turn off their brains, but I cannot.
    Trust me, I never go into a show thinking about trashing it. I let things slide, but when they slide too much, I react.
    Ditto. Every word... well, except movies. There doesn't seem to be as many good ones as there once was, but they are almost always superior to what's on broadcast TV and usually on cable.

I can't remember if I've posted this video before but this is a perfect example what you're talking about:

“From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    Love Death + Robots is an adult animated anthology on Netflix; so, basically it's a bunch of animated shorts. There are 18 total. It's produced by David Fincher (directed Se7en, et al), Tim Miller (directed Deadpool), Joshua Donen (son of famed director Stanley Donen), and Jennifer Miller (Tim's wife).

I've only seen the first two. The second one is about three robots on a sightseeing tour of a post-apocalyptic world. It was pretty funny.

The first one? If you like science fiction, monsters, and gore, you'll dig this. I thought it was fucking awesome.

I was a little concerned that the rest of the shorts won't live up to the first until I checked the show's score on IMDb. It got a 9.2! I have a feeling I'm going to end up binge watching this tonight.
    I watched the first two last night. That first one was a total ass-kicker! I agree the 2nd one was pretty funny. No idea where it's going to go, but I'm in!

I watched the first two last night. That first one was a total ass-kicker! I agree the 2nd one was pretty funny. No idea where it's going to go, but I'm in!
    My cousin flew out to Arizona last week and had downloaded The Umbrella Academy. He told me LD+R was next on his list but I convinced him to watch that first short. I also told him not all the shorts were good but most were and some were great. He ended up bingeing the whole thing.

That first one, Sonnie's Edge... man. I've seen it 3 times already. I feel like they should have saved that one for last. And I thought Lucky 13 was the best of the rest. There are a few more that are funny, but Alternate Histories is downright hilarious.