Thread: Current fav US TV series

  1. #2501
    Member Klonk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Rockland, NY
    Posts
    897
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Only three episodes left. It has to pick up soon, right?
    I hope so man! I'm not disappointed (yet ), just edgy with anticipation of what the hell is going to happen! I do prefer a quicker pace though, but the acting is great all around and the mystery has me hooked...
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe

  2. #2502
    Studmuffin Scott Bails's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Near Philly, PA
    Posts
    3,844
    Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    I hope so man! I'm not disappointed (yet ), just edgy with anticipation of what the hell is going to happen! I do prefer a quicker pace though, but the acting is great all around and the mystery has me hooked...
    Without spoilers, who do you think did it? We were talking about it last night. I feel like it's not anyone that we've already "met" on the show. Thoughts?
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

  3. #2503
    Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Westchester, NY
    Posts
    9,041
    I thought I'd seen an ad or something about a new period drama starring Helen Mirren, now I can't find anything. Anyone know what that might have been?

    In addition, anyone have any good suggestions for a recent "period drama" series? My wife has watched some, I'm hoping to find one she hasn't seen yet that we could watch together. Streaming, preferably, and not soft porn (as some of them sort of are!).

    Sorry, I guess some of these wouldn't be US productions.

  4. #2504
    Howdy Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    4209′30″N 7108′43″W
    Posts
    2,323
    How long ago does something have to be set in order to qualify as a "period drama"?

  5. #2505
    I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    4,400
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    How long ago does something have to be set in order to qualify as a "period drama"?
    Pre 80's
    Ian

    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

  6. #2506
    Howdy Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    4209′30″N 7108′43″W
    Posts
    2,323
    Well, Mindhunter is set a little over 40 years ago and is about the development of the behavioral sciences unit of the FBI, and it's pretty good, but I'm guessing it won't count.

  7. #2507
    Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Westchester, NY
    Posts
    9,041
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    How long ago does something have to be set in order to qualify as a "period drama"?
    Good question! I'm thinking medieval, victorian, English people drinking tea and riding in carriages. You know.

  8. #2508
    Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Westchester, NY
    Posts
    9,041
    Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Pre 80's
    "Marillion? What's a Marillion? Cadbury, throw this vagabond out!"

  9. #2509
    Member Klonk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Rockland, NY
    Posts
    897
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Without spoilers, who do you think did it? We were talking about it last night. I feel like it's not anyone that we've already "met" on the show. Thoughts?
    Hard to talk about without spoiling, but I'm in the same thought as you. Although in my head I keep hearing church bells
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe

  10. #2510
    Member since 7/13/2000 Hal...'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Buckeye Nation
    Posts
    972
    For some reason, I decided to watch the first episode of Russian Doll. Ended up bingeing the first 6 episodes last night and finished it this morning. I didn't find it very amusing, altho I did lol a couple times in episode 3 and once later. Still, a very interesting show that for the first three or four episodes just felt like a rehash of Groundhog's Day. Fortunately, it went in a different direction. Would have preferred a slightly different ending but I guess maybe there's going to be more seasons. IDK.

    Good show!


    Also, for anyone who was or is interested in The Fall (the Gillian Anderson British cop show), I saw it listed on Netflix last night. It's the best cop show I've seen in quite a while, since Southland and Justified. Originally recommended by Lino. BTW, there's only 17 total episodes over 3 seasons, so it's pretty easy to get through. Of course, once you get hooked, it's real easy to get through.
    This conversation can serve no purpose anymore. Goodbye.

  11. #2511
    I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    4,400
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    For some reason, I decided to watch the first episode of Russian Doll. Ended up bingeing the first 6 episodes last night and finished it this morning. I didn't find it very amusing, altho I did lol a couple times in episode 3 and once later. Still, a very interesting show that for the first three or four episodes just felt like a rehash of Groundhog's Day. Fortunately, it went in a different direction. Would have preferred a slightly different ending but I guess maybe there's going to be more seasons. IDK.

    Good show!


    Also, for anyone who was or is interested in The Fall (the Gillian Anderson British cop show), I saw it listed on Netflix last night. It's the best cop show I've seen in quite a while, since Southland and Justified. Originally recommended by Lino. BTW, there's only 17 total episodes over 3 seasons, so it's pretty easy to get through. Of course, once you get hooked, it's real easy to get through.
    The Fall is one of the best cop shows around, brilliant.
    Ian

    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

  12. #2512
    Geriatric Anomaly progeezer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    9,544
    Just finished Russian Doll. It was superb for Lyonne's quirky persona and the very funny writing by Poehler/Lyonne, but a little convoluted and ambiguous throughout. Overall a fun ride.

    Mega points for playing Love's "Alone Again Or" over the last minute of the last episode & closing credits!
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

    President Harry S. Truman

  13. #2513
    Studmuffin Scott Bails's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Near Philly, PA
    Posts
    3,844
    Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    Hard to talk about without spoiling, but I'm in the same thought as you. Although in my head I keep hearing church bells
    Hmm....interesting.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

  14. #2514
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Kalamazoo Michigan
    Posts
    2,827
    Hot off the press for the "Deadwood" fans out there: https://movieweb.com/deadwood-movie-...-premiere-hbo/

  15. #2515
    Insect Overlord Progatron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    southern Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    2,070
    Halfway through the six episode mini-series I Am The Night, quite enjoying it!
    Two boys have been found rubbing linseed oil into the school cormorant.

  16. #2516
    Member hippypants's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Tyler, Tx
    Posts
    544
    Period drama--I thought just any timeframe really that addresses the era.

  17. #2517
    Studmuffin Scott Bails's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Near Philly, PA
    Posts
    3,844
    Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Halfway through the six episode mini-series I Am The Night, quite enjoying it!
    We've only watched the first two episodes, and I'm waiting for something to happen. Hopefully that comes in the third episode.

    It's partly my fault, as I thought the series was about the Black Dahlia murder. I didn't realize that it was only tangentially related to it.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

  18. #2518
    Insect Overlord Progatron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    southern Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    2,070
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    We've only watched the first two episodes, and I'm waiting for something to happen. Hopefully that comes in the third episode.

    It's partly my fault, as I thought the series was about the Black Dahlia murder. I didn't realize that it was only tangentially related to it.
    I did think there was a slowness to the first couple, but it's picking up. See what you think of ep. 3.
    Two boys have been found rubbing linseed oil into the school cormorant.

  19. #2519
    Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Frownland
    Posts
    535
    Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Halfway through the six episode mini-series I Am The Night, quite enjoying it!

    Haven't watched the third episode yet (probably going to wait and watch 3 & 4 together), but thus far this is only a 'meh' from me. Being it's only six episodes ill watch it through, though.
    No humor please, we're skittish.

    Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

  20. #2520
    Geriatric Anomaly progeezer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    9,544
    I'm watching I Am The Night too, and ep.3 does turn the heat up. I thought the first 2 ep. were slow & plodding as well. I think all the outre characters will start coming out of the woodwork now.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

    President Harry S. Truman

  21. #2521

  22. #2522
    I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    4,400
    Buggeration.
    Ian

    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

  23. #2523
    Member since 7/13/2000 Hal...'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Buckeye Nation
    Posts
    972
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Only three episodes left. [True Detective] has to pick up soon, right?
    Has it? I've been waiting to watch it so I could binge on it. At this point, however, I'm losing interest.
    This conversation can serve no purpose anymore. Goodbye.

  24. #2524
    Member Klonk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Rockland, NY
    Posts
    897
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    Has it? I've been waiting to watch it so I could binge on it. At this point, however, I'm losing interest.
    NO! I'm still interested, but they better knock my socks off with the last two episodes.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe

  25. #2525
    facetious maximus Yves's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    1,187
    Big Mouth Valentine Special was great! Look forward to the new season.

    Currently started watching the British comedy "Sex Education". Not too bad. I will see it through. Also started The Ted Bundy Tapes. I know I shouldn't be so fascinated by these types of shows , out of respect for the victims; but I can't enough!
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

    -Cozy 3:16-

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •