Thread: Gazpacho - Tick Tock

Gazpacho - Tick Tock

Three sided 180gram version
    Absolutely fabulous.

How does this album compare musically with the likes of Night or the new one Demon?

It's definitely "rockier" than Night, which had a wonderful dreamy atmosphere that I found to be really compelling. I would say it's probably in the same league as Demon, although people who are bigger fans of the band can probably be more helpful/articulate greater distinctions.

NP: Devin Townsend Project By a Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Valen View Post
    How does this album compare musically with the likes of Night or the new one Demon?
    Haven't heard Demon yet but I still consider Tick Tock the best out of all the others. Night is plenty good (lovely and dreamy, as mentioned) but it's also more.... samey. It does one series of plodding shifting grooves, in one mood, and does it very well. Tick Tock is more like Night 2.0 with the approach refined and improved. I think it just works even better when the groove pieces are comparatively shorter and have the more rocking standalone songs as bookends.

Edit. Ok, so "Winter Is Never" is also pretty low-key (though excellent). I think I meant to say the album works great with the rocking parts throughout and the shorter songs as bookends.
    Last edited by Spiral; 01-30-2015 at 02:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiral View Post
    Haven't heard Demon yet but I still consider Tick Tock the best out of all the others. Night is plenty good (lovely and dreamy, as mentioned) but it's also more.... samey. It does one series of plodding shifting grooves, in one mood, and does it very well. Tick Tock is more like Night 2.0 with the approach refined and improved. I think it just works even better when the groove pieces are comparatively shorter and have the more rocking standalone songs as bookends.
    I agree. Of the three Tick Tock really grabs me in. Very powerful. Listen to this one often and the vinyl is amazing.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Quote Originally Posted by Valen View Post
    Tick Tock is Gazpacho's Sgt Pepper, the pinnacle of their output so far.
    By a considerable margin too.
    Pay for the 180gram vinyl and it will be one of the finest in your collection.

When it first came out i remember being fairly underwhelmed compared to Night but now i find it better than Night.

Is this re-issue the one that has TT Part IV?

IMO these guys and echolyn are the front runners of truly great not-too-much-frills-song-based progressive music.

Quote Originally Posted by Haruspex Carnage View Post
    Is this re-issue the one that has TT Part IV?
    There's another part? Well, that's a damn shame if it's only on vinyl.

Not looking at the vinyl but pt. IV?
    The older I get, the better I was.

Big fan of it here.

Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    Not looking at the vinyl but pt. IV?
    Maybe there's some misunderstanding. There's no extra track listed. (Seems like the second LP is mostly wasted--they could fit it onto one but it would mean messing with the order.)

https://www.burningshed.com/store/ks...duct/272/5348/

I'm a big Gazpacho fan, and Tick Tock is my favorite. This one is the whole package - great music, great lyrics, and great vocals. Great finale in Winter is Never (my favorite Gazpacho song).

It's not a reissue but a 180gram pressing.
    The tracks are the same.

If you follow them on facebook Thomas has been mentioning other cuts from Tick Tock that were to be included on a remaster of it...or not even Facebook, dig around on his recent posts on their official website.

I like the microtonal noise piece that's on Side Four.
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

Quote Originally Posted by Haruspex Carnage View Post
    If you follow them on facebook Thomas has been mentioning other cuts from Tick Tock that were to be included on a remaster of it...or not even Facebook, dig around on his recent posts on their official website.
    Great news. I don't see anything on the official page but I'm sure the news will reach us non-fbers when/if there is any.

For anyone who's got the CD and LP, how much difference does that remix make?

Quote Originally Posted by Splicer View Post
    I like the microtonal noise piece that's on Side Four.
    Probably a key illustration of that "different every time you hear it" principle, isn't it?

I hae both and they have the same running order and tracks, the only difference is the sound quality.

Here's the FB posts i mentioned:

In August after going to the KATE BUSH CONCERT, which I expect will be a surreal and mind blowing experience we start finishing the bordereij live dvd and album. This autumn we also release the tick tock remaster with a bonus track that Fido and Lars Erik are hard at work recording this week. It's a song which at the moment is called "tick tock 5" that almost made the album but was dropped as the album itself was getting too long. Fido has been fighting for it ever since the album was released and we all finally gave in and agreed to finish it enough to make it presentable to the discerning public (you folks). We have to redo the drums as they were originally recorded in mono with one microphone and lots of bleed from the noisy guitar players (Jon and Fido). Typical, it's always the guitarists.
    The song itself sounds very much like gazpacho being a rock group but it has a catchy tune and it's pretty cool. It'll add to the value of cd so don't forget to start saving up for it. Maybe cancel the summer vacation or something I don't know.

The Tick Tock remaster is also done, and it includes a song that was dropped from the original album called "independence day". Its an up tempo groovy piece and only god knows why we dropped it. We had to re-record it of course as it didn't have any finished lyrics and was very sloppily recorded when we made it, but now it shines like the wind as they say. Bon appetit connoisseur's of that period!

Excellent. Thanks for reposting.