Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: King Crimson Heresy.....

Quote Originally Posted by Spiral View Post
    ... there've been some nice exceptions to that rule. In a Silent Way comes to mind.
    ....as well as the demented Devotion and the sublime My Goal's Beyond.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Quote Originally Posted by señormoment View Post
    No offense to appreciators of the rapid fire playing of such artists as McLaughlin and Zawinul, but to my mind these musical passages aren't so far above 'noodling.' Wonderful dexterity, but incomprehensible. I can't even think that fast.
    I feel the same way. Hard to lock in on a lot of it. I do remember as a teenager in the 70s loving "Birds of Fire", I. Put it on today after hanging on this thread, and it just does not work for me anymore. But I understand why some might like it. Seems like its stuck in its own special time and has not aged well for me.
    Still alive and well...

Quote Originally Posted by Spiral View Post
    Yes, that's always been one of JM's weaker points, but there've been some nice exceptions to that rule. In a Silent Way comes to mind. He manages to hold back on all the Remember Shakti albums too. Maybe he generally needs the right band or bandleader to keep him in check, and it's when he's in charge that he forgets to play anything less than 64th notes.
    I suppose I was mostly thinking in terms of MO. That was the group which managed to find its way into the discussion.

I certainly don't mean to be critical of JM. It's just that in more recent years I think I have come to better understand what musicianship entails. A lot of overplaying goes on in music and when it begins to serve not the music but the individual, I'm not sure that can be said to be great musicianship. I'm probably arguing a bit of semantics in the end ...