Thread: FEATURED CD : unexpecT : In a Flesh Aquarium

FEATURED CD : unexpecT : In a Flesh Aquarium

Approach if you're feeling brave:

Some seriously wise dud on Sea Of Tranquility once said:

Holy Moly, Mother Mary, this record is out there!

This is where Mamga meets Sleepytime Gorilla Museum, it is where Squonk Opera meets Children Of Bodom, it is where Broadway meets dark metal. Here, performance art intersects with dark goth music, and modern avant garde opera (yes, the classical kind) enthusiastically breeds with modern Scandawegian metal

Expect this release to feature prominently in many album-of-the-year lists ... and also to be in many lists of the worst records - because for most people, In A Flesh Aquarium will be a love-it-or-hate-it affair, with no room for ambivalence. This is avant garde metal that is more Prog (capital P deliberate) than any metal acts you're likely to hear for a long time - this is progressive in every sense of the word.

Many people will never 'get' In A Flesh Aquarium, many more will learn to appreciate it after many listens, and for a few demented reviewers it will take just one track to fall head-over-heels for its eclectic mix of classical and brain-melting discord, its very operatic, psychotic ingenuity, its unique eccentricity, its wonderfully innovative attack on anything that dares call itself metal.

It's even a stretch to call it metal, although we'll use that label only because of the limited amount of controlled death-metal growling, and a rhythm section that revolves around double-bass and heavy power chords and a 9 (yes, that's a 'nine') string bass guitar. But you could just as easily call it heavy RIO or post-modern opera. This is as operatic and avant garde prog as it is metal. We'll have to invent a new genre for this stuff - perhaps thinking man's metal, or Metal In Opposition - MIO - metal's equivalent of prog's Rock In Opposition genre.

At first blush the instrumentation sounds chaotic and uncontrolled, but it's actually as tight as a drum, very technical, an exercise in modern composition. Besides the metal lineup there are piano, clarinet, cello and sax and lines, there are occasional electronic and choral female vocal effects, and dissonant violins thread their way through the mix in a discordant satire of anything approaching old fashioned melody. The female vocals are an important component of the music, and provide a stark contrast to the wild demonic growls.

If there's a criticism, it's that after an hour the over-the-top theatrics seem to go on a bit, and a few more approachable moments would provide a welcome breathing space.

Based in Toronto, Canada, the band's name is unexpecT (note the odd capitalization) and they take whacky stage names in the same way as the Norwegian black metal acts do. So the lineup is Syriak, ChaotH, ExoD, Le Bateleur, Artagoth, Leìlindel, Landryx (again, note the odd capitalization.) And the track titles are off the wall too - with song names like "Feasting Fools", "Silence_011010701", "Megalomaniac Trees" and "Another Dissonant Chord". So they're apparently marketing themselves to an audience that will be impressed by that sort of thing. The more grown-up prog and metal listeners will ignore the theatrics and focus on the otherworldly music itself, the pure classical discipline, the tension and the drama, and with tense anticipation, we will watch the challenges that unexpecT has presented to the metal world.

So The End records has found another genre-defying band. It's always a pleasure to watch that label - they have a knack for discovering glittering gems like this one.

Get this CD - and file it next to Sleepytime Gorilla Museum in your collection.
    http://www.seaoftranquility.org/imag...pect_flesh.jpg

Last edited by Duncan Glenday; 12-17-2012 at 04:51 PM.
    Regards,

Duncan

Great album. I don't think their latest one quite matched it.

Great album, great band. They are amazing live, and anyone missing Sleepytime Gorilla Museum and needing a fix, might really like them.

neil

Sporadically brilliant, but way too long IMO. Some careful editing would have made this much more powerful; the sprawl dilutes the effect.

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

I just noticed in the OP review it states that they are based in Toronto. AFAIK they are from Montreal.

Quote Originally Posted by zravkapt View Post
    I just noticed in the OP review it states that they are based in Toronto. AFAIK they are from Montreal.
    That damned OP

BTW - the OP also interviewed them, and yes, they're from Montreal.

http://www.seaoftranquility.org/article.php?sid=708
    Regards,

Duncan

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Sounds pretty interesting, I'll check it out.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I got this one and me likey

Got this, too. And likey, too.

It's great, actually. By far the best metal I've ever heard (if you can call it that). Very heavy, anyway.

The review pretty much hit the nail on the head. Intense, unpredictable, intricate, most importantly(IMHO) composed. No jamming going on, no guitar finger exercises streched out and glued together. Orchestrations in the finest sense, almost operatic. Yeah, that sounds funny, but it's not. They kill. I checked out a live tune on Youtube, and they kill live too. Good enough for Nearfest if it was still running. The vocals ? They work. They're in layers. It's metal. I got over it. (but I'm a real A.H. when it comes to vocals. I might like 3 vocalists in the whole world.) If this band stays together, they could go places. I vote 3X

An unbelievable album. Not for the usual prog weenie, but absolutely essential in my book.

Great album - I wilder take on Diablo Swing Orchestra!!!

Excelent album. Weird. The performances could be tighter though. It is not faultless and with this many players going crazy at the same time it should be tighter. (IMHO ) But I still spin this every few months.

Neil, if you haven't seen them live, it is a sight to behold when they all freak out onstage at the same time! If you don't have their latest Fables of the Sleepless Empire, pick it up, for sure.

neil

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Played this today for the fifth time since I bought it and it's starting to open itself up to me.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.