Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Active rock act with most albums

Active rock act with most albums

Still active and still making albums, rock with vocals only please, its got to be a toss up between Hawkwind, Neil Young, Status Quo, Dylan and Rolling Stones I would think.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Still active and still making albums, rock with vocals only please, its got to be a toss up between Hawkwind, Neil Young, Status Quo, Dylan and Rolling Stones I would think.
    Fleetwood Mac might be up there as well.

Is the WHO working on one.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

really depends on the definition of "album".....Repackaged hits or classic songs by an artist punctuated with maybe one or two brand new cuts doesn't constitute "new album" ( to be exact: new studio album) IMHO. but a compilation album with a few new cuts.....The Rolling Stones have quite a few of these types

On the other hand, AC/DC is certainly in the running

Gong, and all associated acts as its kind of discombobulated who is Gong, is certainly a contender.

Chicago is still active as far as I know and have a crapload of albums

RUSH has to also be a consideration, I think...and perhaps KISS

After doing a quick Wiki search it appears that of those mentioned Dylan is the winner with 36 studio albums. Neil Young is right behind with 35, followed by Status Quo with 31. The Stones come in with 29 and Hawkwind 27.

Does John Zorn count.

Neil Young, not counting compilations and live, I count at 47 if you include Buffalo Springfield and CSNY . I'd like to add the Unplugged cd as well because there acoustic versions of electric songs.
    I remember tomorrow

Suspended
    Elton John? I haven't counted his albums, but he has done a shitload.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    Elton John? I haven't counted his albums, but he has done a shitload.
    31 studio albums, just beating Elvis Costello who has 30 (but Elton had an 8-year head start).

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Neil Young is right behind with 35
    As a huge Neil Young fan, I can tell you that not counting collaborations (BS, CSNY, SY), live or unplugged, he has made 38 studio albums. A few that often get omitted from lists are Dead Man, Arc and Rust Never Sleeps. Although live, Arc and Rust Never Sleeps (partially live) were both full albums of new material not available anywhere else at that time.

Quote Originally Posted by klothos View Post
    really depends on the definition of "album".....Repackaged hits or classic songs by an artist punctuated with maybe one or two brand new cuts doesn't constitute "new album" ( to be exact: new studio album)
    I agree. But I think live albums of all new material count as studio albums, for example, it was many years before I realised that Neil's Rust Never Sleeps was compiled from several shows with all the clapping and audience noise removed.

Quote Originally Posted by klothos View Post
    RUSH has to also be a consideration
    Actually not that many, I don't even think they break 20 studio albums.

As a huge Neil Young fan, I can tell you that not counting collaborations (BS, CSNY, SY), live or unplugged, he has made 38 studio albums. A few that often get omitted from lists are Dead Man, Arc and Rust Never Sleeps. Although live, Arc and Rust Never Sleeps (partially live) were both full albums of new material not available anywhere else at that time.
    I'd hesitate to call 'Arc' a full album of new material! Although it was definitely not available anywhere else (unless you had a stack of NY&CH boots, a razor blade and a tape-splicer).

Well, Arc is 35 minutes, and there were plenty of albums in the 60s, 70s and 80s that were a similar length. It was only double albums that were up to an hour and sometimes a bit longer. It was only with the advent of CD in the 80s that 60+ minute monsters were being released as single albums.

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    Hawkwind
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

Bands like Phish, Pearl Jam, Grateful Dead have tons of records out. Amost all are live, of course. Tan Dream has a ton. Way the Flower Kings release discs, they could too! :-) Magma has a few here or there...
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

After doing a quick Wiki search it appears that of those mentioned Dylan is the winner with 36 studio albums. Neil Young is right behind with 35, followed by Status Quo with 31. The Stones come in with 29 and Hawkwind 27.
    Add Peter Hammill in there with 34 solo studio releases, not including collaborations.

Quote Originally Posted by Rune Blackwings View Post
    Hawkwind
    Yea, Hawkwind is why I started the thread, I was going though my collection last night, as well as listening to some on Spotify and it struck me that they have an absolute shed load of pure studio albums, I reckon they are the only band that can truly be said to have broken the 40 studio albums barrier, though I'm not sure as I haven't counted them.

Well, Arc is 35 minutes, and there were plenty of albums in the 60s, 70s and 80s that were a similar length. It was only double albums that were up to an hour and sometimes a bit longer. It was only with the advent of CD in the 80s that 60+ minute monsters were being released as single albums.
    It wasn't the length I was alluding to as much as the 'content' - it's a collage of bits of live performances of other songs, or at least the noises in between the songs. OK, I'm getting pedantic here...

Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post
    OK, I'm getting pedantic here...
    Yea, you are .... It is in itself a unique creation, listened to as one continuous piece. The fact that it is made up of pre-existing pieces takes absolutely nothing away from the unique creative idea to do it in the first place.

R. Stevie Moore (even he's lost count)
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

And Anthony Phillips has close to 30

Fleetwood Mac might be up there as well.
    Yea, they've got to be over 30.

Actually not that many, I don't even think they break 20 studio albums.
    You can't tell the Rush fanboyz they're not #1 in EVERYTHING.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Damn, some of these artists have a lot. I was gonna suggest Roy Harper with 22 studio albums.

I consider Klaus Schulze rock! 60 albums.