Thread: Area (or Stratos, anyway) on The Sopranos?

Area (or Stratos, anyway) on The Sopranos?

I'm finally watching The Sopranos for the first time, on Amazon Prime, and during Season 2, episode 3 ("Toodle-F*cking-Oo"), there's about a 5 second clip of music playing that has to be the unmistakeable warbling of Demetrio Stratos. I have a few Area albums, but don't know their music well enough to be sure that was them (or him), let alone which song it is. Does anyone here know if I'm correct, and if so, what song, and how that came to happen?

It happens at around 22:50, as Tony's sister Janice is pulling into their mother Livia's driveway in Livia's old car. I smiled at the thought of Janice cranking Area while driving around town.

Oh, and yes, I did try Google, found a list of supposedly all songs used in that episode, and that clip is not identified at all.

Try using Shazam while its playing.

Shazam worked, and I was wrong. It's a very short clip, but it was identified as Prince of Peace by Pharoah Sanders, which I confirmed, on YT, is correct.

So, nevermind.

Though friends have had Shazam for years, this was the first time I actually used it myself. Don't understand how it works, but I think it's a very cool app. Probably handy if you want to cheat on music trivia at a bar...

Quote Originally Posted by Gerhard View Post
    I smiled at the thought of Janice cranking Area while driving around town.

As great as the show was, the would have made it even better!

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

I remember reading posts several years ago on PE about the same exact thing. Some people were claiming there was a scene where someone pulled up in a Ferrari blasting Area. I've never seen the show so I can't confirm. Interesting to hear after all these years that it was not Area after all but Pharoah Sanders. OH well.

Someone also was saying there was Goblin's "Suspiria" playing during the summer Olympics one year during the girls' gymnastics qualifiers. I don't remember seeing that in the replays though.

And what about some band performing Lark's tongues in Aspic in a softcore movie from the seventies without Fripp's permission? Hey Bobby exposure is exposure(no pun intended ).
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

I just binged The Sopranos....holy shit. Best series of all time? I can't argue with thst logic. Easily top 3, along with Breaking Bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerhard View Post
    Shazam worked, and I was wrong. It's a very short clip, but it was identified as Prince of Peace by Pharoah Sanders, which I confirmed, on YT, is correct.
    Ha, as soon as I read the OP, I wondered if the "unmistakeable warbling" wasn't really Leon Thomas.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    I just binged The Sopranos....holy shit. Best series of all time? I can't argue with thst logic. Easily top 3, along with Breaking Bad.
    The Sopranos ranks right up there for me. I kind of think "The Wire" (also on HBO) beats it slightly, but no doubt The Sopranos was a game changer.

So you got to watch A.J. and Meadow grow up suddenly. Great series, and most of the acting was top notch. Edie Falco and Michael Imperioli were absolutely outstanding IMO. Stevie Van Zandt on the other hand was atrocious (also IMO).
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    The Sopranos ranks right up there for me. I kind of think "The Wire" (also on HBO) beats it slightly, but no doubt The Sopranos was a game changer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    So you got to watch A.J. and Meadow grow up suddenly. Great series, and most of the acting was top notch. Edie Falco and Michael Imperioli were absolutely outstanding IMO. Stevie Van Zandt on the other hand was atrocious (also IMO).
    I saw (most of it) way back when but I did a proper binge from soup-to-nuts. Binges rule!

I agree the acting was outrageously good, but I also liked Silvio a lot. His sour puss face was classic, but he seemd to be the most "level-headed" of the bunch, if there is such a thing. My fav Silvio moment:

If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

^^^ I've tried to appreciate him numerous times, but I find him so flat-out cringeworthy, he drags down the overall tone by a half point with his caricature. He's doing the "mob guy 101" impression that basically any of us could do. There isn't the slightest bit of nuance in comparison with the rest of the characters. Again, all just IMO.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Never saw Lilyhammer - good?
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Never saw Lilyhammer - good?
    I watched all 3 seasons. It is not great, but not bad either. The whole thing is done as kind of a dark comedy. Unfortunately, the series got cancelled before he could finish it, so the end of season 3 just kind of leaves things hanging. Several Sopranos actors show up, especially towards the end. I have read rumors that Vanzant wanted to end it as Silvio (from the Sopranos) waking up and Lillehammer all being a dream. I have never seen that confirmed, but the plot seemed like it might be moving in that direction. Anyway……..it is not great, but I was entertained by it.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Six Feet Under, The Sopranos, and Breaking Bad (in that order). I thought The Wire was good but nothing compared to the other three. I can still steam it though and may revisit it.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Lilyhammer is (especially) funny if you know Norway. Its the meeting between the provincial Norway, with all its PC moralistic rules, where 'Silvio' tries to hide out from the villans in New York whithout knowing any of the unwritten and written rules of norwegian social life.
    I have only seen 2 seasons and had a good laugh and was well entertained. My mother was norwegian.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Six Feet Under, The Sopranos, and Breaking Bad (in that order).
    Totally agree here, though I'd insert Succession somewhere in there as well (but not before Six Feet Under). The main difference I guess is that it's not over yet, but if it stays on the trajectory it's on, it's in there for sure.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Totally agree here, though I'd insert Succession somewhere in there as well (but not before Six Feet Under). The main difference I guess is that it's not over yet, but if it stays on the trajectory it's on, it's in there for sure.
    So far, Successsoin is wonderfully delicious. Great character development.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Six Feet Under, The Sopranos, and Breaking Bad (in that order). I thought The Wire was good but nothing compared to the other three. I can still steam it though and may revisit it.
    I enjoyed "6 Feet Under" and think it is one of the greatest endings in the history of television, but I thought it bogged down a bit in some of the middle seasons and got a little bit too soap opera-ish in spots. Still a great series, but overall I don't put it at the same level as "Sopranos", "Breaking Bad" or "The Wire". Just my opinion of course.

Mmmm........I like "Succession" a lot, especially the 2nd season, but would not put it in the same league as "The Wire" & "The Sopranos". As you say, "Succession" is still ongoing, so we'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Mmmm........I like "Succession" a lot, especially the 2nd season, but would not put it in the same league as "The Wire" & "The Sopranos". As you say, "Succession" is still ongoing, so we'll see.
    I don't put it with The Wire.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    What's the f***ing line on the Knicks?