Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A re-Listen of Marillion 'Brave'

A re-Listen of Marillion 'Brave'

A Pleasant Later January Hello to Everyone!

Had a listening session last evening with 'Brave' released by Marillion in 1994. WOW! Quite some time since then and I really don't think I've listened to that release since '96 or so! What a nice listen, relaxed, embellishment happening, cheesed popcorn and a Lemon-Lime Seltzer by my side....

I have been going through my music collection, listening to some releases perhaps gathering dust, and setting some aside to donate to the Newport, Vermont Public Library. Marilllion was one of those bands that really caught my attention during those rather quiet/different 80's. Perhaps I tuned into them as they seemed to give me a bit of the same listening pleasures as those wonderful 70's bands did. It was 'one of those SOUUNDS that truly resonated with my soul. Admittangly - It wasn't quite the same experience though. I continued on during those 80's... with my thirst for musics that somehow 'spoke to me' and my musical curiosities. 80's Marillion was a good example of that 'Symphonic Style' of music that just resonated. Different, I'll say, in that the music of Marillion didn't have the same surround of experiment, wonder, and progressive breakthroughs that those in the 70's did. Pleasant enough though - served a listening purpose, kept the embers warm, but while listening to 'Brave' it occured to me that 'that' had already been done a decade prior. My tastes generally had/have moved on - AND - That's OK.... I gave 'Brave' one final listen last evening. Fine Release IMHO and I would've been all over that (still?) if it had been part of my 70's initial musical world. Glad I gave it one more listening session. Time to donate it to a place where others may have it be an initial exposure!

Out and Over

Chris Buckley

My favourite Marillion album. Still hear new things in it after all this time. I think this was the album where the Hogarth lineup came into its own, and there are some powerful, emotional pieces on this album that stand up with the best material they've done... "The Great Escape", "Runaway", "Mad"... I'll always love this album, it's one that requires some dedicated listening - and the reward is that much greater IMO. Seeing the whole thing live was a thrilling, breathtaking experience.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Same here. Hands down my favorite Marillion album.
    Chad

I have now completed my Marillion collection (well, at least all the studio albums) and Brave is definitely in the top three (along with Marbles and Misplaced Childhood, IMHO.) Very, very solid record.
    The Prog Corner

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    > cheesed popcorn and a Lemon-Lime Seltzer by my side....

Marillion would be proud...

Yep, favorite here too. I tend to let a few years go by and then go back to it and indulge. Even like watching the Brave video from time to time. Definitely agree that Hogarth and the band for that matter really made a big leap with this one.
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

I've always liked this one, which wasn't a majority opinion around here not too long ago. So I'm glad to see it's now getting some luv.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

The moment my love affair with Marillion ended ......

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Definitely my favourite.

I still have mixed feelings about it. Although I think it was brave for them to put it out, I don't think the whole thing works musically all that well. The beginning and end sctions of the album are great, but for me it bogs down quite a bit in the middle.

Quote Originally Posted by everyday View Post
    I'm sorry you love all of Holidays in Eden and hate all of Brave...

I never got much into Marillion, but I really enjoy this album. It's easily my favorite by them.

One of my all-time favorite albums by anyone! The weakest track on the album (imho), Paper Lies, is still a decent song, but (as far as I can tell) doesn't seem to fit in with the rest of the material.
    'The smell of strange colours are heard everywhere'- Threshold

Stunning album, it was great seeing it live, enjoyable video too. The best of the Hogarth-era albums for me.

Not a favorite of mine. It bogs down for me as mentioned above. It has the same feel as Mei, a bit too long in the teeth and fails to really grab and hold me in for the duration.
    I should check it out again, it's been a while, and not one I grab for when I'm in a marillion kind of mood.
    And don't be sorry for those of us that have love for holidays in Eden and not so much for brave

Quote Originally Posted by gpeccary View Post
    Not a favorite of mine. It bogs down for me as mentioned above. It has the same feel as Mei, a bit too long in the teeth and fails to really grab and hold me in for the duration.
    I should check it out again, it's been a while, and not one I grab for when I'm in a marillion kind of mood.
    And don't be sorry for those of us that have love for holidays in Eden and not so much for brave
    I like HiE too. I might skip a track from time to time.

Quote Originally Posted by gpeccary View Post
    "Holidays" really grew on me over the years. When it came out I found it commercial and thought it was a big step down from their earlier stuff, but over the years it has won me over until overall I like it better than "Brave".

While this isn't my favorite album of all time, it is the most special to me. I agree that "Paper Lies" doesn't really fit but I've learned to love it. The live performance two years ago was something I am so grateful to have seen.

The War Babies cover makes me smile.

the first half of it sounds great, but then momentum gets lost midwayish...
    Revisited it couple months ago, followed by Fish-era stuff. And the latter is superior in every way, even with Pointer on drums.

Easily the best Marillion album, followed by it's successor.

Powerful album.

Definitely one of their best, and usually agreed-upon by most fans, along with Afraid of Sunlight and Marbles.

It really is best enjoyed in a quiet, dark room with your favorite beverage.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Listened to this last night. Brave definitely didn't make much of an impression at first, but it's really grown on me. To be honest, this seems to be a trademark of Marillion albums for me in general. Holidays in Eden is a great example of this (it's probably my favorite of theirs now).

Quote Originally Posted by everyday View Post
    I was going to stay out of this thread (because I figured I was in the obvious minority), but that's a pretty fair assessment in my case too. I went from obsessed collector to just a fan with this album.

While I respect the attempt. it puts me to sleep. I'm probably due to pull it out again for the annual revisit to see if anything has changed, but it's been more than 20 years now. I do admit I like the version of Made Again a bit better though.

Easily my favorite track from these sessions is actually marouatte jam of all things!