Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: The Apocolypse Is Coming, snow that is

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Not quite a "snowpocalypse" or even a "snowmageddon," but many in the U.S. are getting their first snow of the season these past couple days.

Stay safe and warm, fellow forumers.
    We have had snow here in West Michigan for almost two weeks now. Way to early........

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Yikes! Glad your son made it home safely and that no one was hurt.
    Thanks! I think there are probably still kids at the school, as some parents are having a hard time getting home. Our town is very hilly, and if they don't start salting and spreading sand soon enough, it gets crazy.

I drive a school bus (call it a semi-retirement job) and this AM was hell because of slick roads. Now we're getting snow and high winds. I'll get them home safe tonight but I will be pounding a couple IPAs when I get home just to settle my nerves.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Thanks! I think there are probably still kids at the school, as some parents are having a hard time getting home. Our town is very hilly, and if they don't start salting and spreading sand soon enough, it gets crazy.
    Man... I suppose I'm fortunate in that we don't have to deal with much snow or ice in Huntsville, Alabama. Although whenever it does snow here, no one knows what to do.

In Feb 2014 and 2015 we had two big snows that resulted in roads being closed and schools and business shutting down for a day or so. It was pretty weird to have that two years in a row, because it's incredibly rare in our area. My brother and I were living in a house together at the time, and we took the opportunity to go out walking in the snow for a few hours at night through our neighborhood and downtown. We saw several groups of people who evidently had the same idea.

We had more ice than snow. Luckily, it's melting today, so I can watch the huge maple that's precariously leaning over my house straighten up a bit and settle my nerves.

I have a bird feeder hanging from another huge maple. It's typically about 6-1/2 feet above the ground to keep the deer from feeding from it. Today, it's about four feet above the ground.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Gotta be careful with trees as the ground in metropolitan area is already so oversaturated...could be a high wind day away from losing their grip and coming down.

What a clusterfuck this storm turned out to be here in Hudson Valley NY. Horrible timing plus even more horrible preparation led to accidents, huge travel delays and lots of dangerous situations. I have been plowing snow for around 15 years and never before did I see this many people off or sideways on the roads. I mean it hit right at rush hour, but still...it was a mess.

...and now I have to sit and wait for the fuckin snow to melt to get back to my fall leaf cleanups
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    Gotta be careful with trees as the ground in metropolitan area is already so oversaturated...could be a high wind day away from losing their grip and coming down.

What a clusterfuck this storm turned out to be here in Hudson Valley NY. Horrible timing plus even more horrible preparation led to accidents, huge travel delays and lots of dangerous situations. I have been plowing snow for around 15 years and never before did I see this many people off or sideways on the roads. I mean it hit right at rush hour, but still...it was a mess.

...and now I have to sit and wait for the fuckin snow to melt to get back to my fall leaf cleanups
    I spoke with people who were in their cars for over five hours for a drive that normally takes 30 minutes!

The scary thing for me when I had to wait an hour outside for the school bus, which it turned out wasn't going to come at all, is that my iPhone was very hard to use, because my fingers were so cold and wet that it was very hard to get the touch screen to register my fingers, and also, I guess from the cold, the sound on a phone call was getting very hard to hear.

It was truly a clusterfuck, but we still had it better than some because we saw it coming. But I was very surprised by the school buses being unable to deal with it. Never seen that before.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    The snow came way too early. I didn't have a chance to rake the leaves and with 15 centimeters of snow I started the snowblower an there were fucking leaves everywhere! I had to rake and shovel (lol).

I just had my snow tires changed today and the drive to work on Friday without them was horrible. I'm really looking forward to a week in the Dominican Republic the week before Christmas!

I was hoping to get my Christmas lights all done by this weekend. Wind chill of minus seven right now so that's screwed. It will warm up tomorrow but of course snow. This isn't late fall, it's goddamn winter.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

The funny thing is that we had two years, I think back to back and not that long ago, where we had significant snow on Halloween. But everyone here seems to have forgotten that.

Holy crap, worse than my whole town expected!
    I sat in back-up on I-84 West for three-and-a-half hours. Prognostications were wildly wrong.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Not an Apocalypse of snow, but an apocalypse of something! About 45 minutes ago all parents got an emergency call from our son's elementary school. They had a sewer main break and all the toilets were spewing whatever; everyone had to pick up their kids ASAP, and those who took the bus were going to be sent home early. Fortunately we were able to hightail it there, because it quickly became a scene of chaos. All after-school activities were cancelled, and one parent posted on FB that they were in Chicago (at the airport I guess), and wouldn't be able to pick up their kid early. Lots of parents/caretakers in the city, etc. and won't be there to get their kids from the bus. Sounds like the chaos will continue long into the evening. And it actually IS snowing a bit, fortunately not much.

^^^^

That stinks!

Quote Originally Posted by DocProgger View Post
    ^^^^

That stinks!
    It probably did! Our son took it in stride because they have so many lock-down drills and stuff now that this was probably much easier for the kids to handle. They've had lots of lock-down drills, indoor recess because of coyote attacks, and also indoor recess because of assh*les going deer-hunting illegally in the woods right next to the school. Just nuts!

That's what we call a Crapocolypse.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Coyotes attacking school kids in suburban NYC area?!!

That kid will one day be able to say..."In my day, we walked to school barefoot in the snow, both ways, uphill....fought off coyotes and Shit Demons spewing from the sewers!"
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Quote Originally Posted by DocProgger View Post
    Coyotes attacking school kids in suburban NYC area?!!
    They didn't attack any of the kids, thankfully, but a mail carrier was attacked, and I believe a policeman was too. I forgot to mention that they were rabid coyotes. We're sharing the environment with them, the same as we are with lots of deer. A lot of kids walk home through the woods, so that was the main concern.

https://newyork.cbslocal.com/2018/03...ngs-on-hudson/

They didn't attack any of the kids, thankfully, but a mail carrier was attacked,
    Maybe the coyotes were waiting on a box set that they had ordered, saw from the tracking that it was given a free all-expenses paid vacation to the Keys, and snapped because they just couldn't take it anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Maybe the coyotes were waiting on a box set that they had ordered, saw from the tracking that it was given a free all-expenses paid vacation to the Keys, and snapped because they just couldn't take it anymore?
    Or maybe some disgruntled backwoodsman in that area is training rabid coyotes to go after mailmen for some reason.....

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post

But seriously, that is crazy about coyote attacks in NY! I had no idea...

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Friend at works dog was killed by a coyote on his front lawn a couple of weeks ago, and he's not living out in a rural area it's pretty much the suburbs of the city.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Around here, coyotes have moved more and more into the city. You can see them sometimes late at night trotting through empty parking lots, and they've killed small pets too.

https://www.insidehalton.com/communi...est-sightings/
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

We once saw a skunk in Manhattan, and it wasn't in a park or anything. It was walking along the sidewalk.

Coyotes? Hell, we've got wolves out on the family farm. My cousin saw them a couple times but I've only seen the tracks and scat. I keep a close watch on the chihuahua and the pom/corgi when we let them run in the farm yard.