Thread: RIP Joe Franklin

RIP Joe Franklin

The man was an institution. Many never knew about him until Billy Crystal did impressions on SNL. But, those of us who grew up within range of NY TV knew all to well.

From what I understand, he had one of the world's best collections of silent movies, too.

http://www.newsday.com/entertainment...lane-1.9843368
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Watched him as a very young child on Long Island. It appears most of his early show is lost. He was one of a kind. His knowledge of movies was astounding. RIP Joe.

I hate saying this, but I thought he must have died years ago. (I know... "How could you tell?")

I remember him from late nights growing up in NY. He was an institution. I couldn't believe the guests he would have on his show. From John Lennon to a man working a concession at Coney Island. He would have anyone on. His oft repeated justification was that people weren't tuning in to see his guests. They wanted to see him. And he was right.
    I've got a bike you can ride it if you like

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I only remember seeing him on TV back when there were only 13 channels. Sometimes there was nothing else to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by rapidfirerob View Post
    Watched him as a very young child on Long Island.
    Were you his baby sitter.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I only remember seeing him on TV back when there were only 13 channels. Sometimes there was nothing else to watch.
    When I was a kid, he was always on at like 1:00 am on WOR Channel 9.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    That's about right!
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone