Thread: Their Satanic Majesties

Their Satanic Majesties

Hey, has any CD edition of this Stones album ever duplicated the lenticular picture of the original LP?

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Hey, has any CD edition of this Stones album ever duplicated the lenticular picture of the original LP?
    According to Wikipedia, the original master materials for the cover were destroyed after a mid 80's reissue, though they also say that it the 3D cover was reproduced for a Japanese SHM release in 2010, which would seem to contradict the other point.

I was expecting a thread about whether or not this was the Stones' prog record - which, if you listen to the drums in 2000 Man, er, .... it is.....

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    According to Wikipedia, the original master materials for the cover were destroyed after a mid 80's reissue, though they also say that it the 3D cover was reproduced for a Japanese SHM release in 2010, which would seem to contradict the other point.
    Indeed. The answer to this question is apparently not clear.

If there was one, I've never seen it.

In fact, every re-issue I've seen -- even the LP re-issues -- have used a different version of the photo, where Mick's hat tips to the left and his arms are under the cape.
    Original:

Reissue:

Incidentally, the head shots of The Beatles are much more evident on the revised photo: Paul and George under Charlie, John and Ringo under Bill.
    Last edited by rcarlberg; 01-25-2015 at 12:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by arabicadabra View Post
    I was expecting a thread about whether or not this was the Stones' prog record - which, if you listen to the drums in 2000 Man, er, .... it is.....
    I'll still take Ace Frehley's version of 2000 Man over the Stones version.

I feel the Stones bit off more than they could chew with Satanic Majesties. There's a few good songs on there, particularly 2000 Light Years From Home and She's A Rainbow, but I don't think it holds a candle to either the album that preceded it (Between The Buttons) or the two or three much heralded albums that followed it. Hell, I'll take Jumping Jack Flash, in all it's overplayed glory, over most of what's on Satanic Majesties.

A little bit ot but I'm wondering if anyone has spotted the pictures of the Beatles in this cover. I think it was their way of "getting back at" the Beatles for having a Shirley Temple doll say "welcome the Rolling Stones.."on Sgt. Peppers. Imo, this is probably the most special if not the best Stones album.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Never heard the album but I have a Stones comp that has two songs from Satanic Majesty (Rainbow and 2000 Light Years). Not my favorite era of the Stones. I like the early stuff and then the Sticky Fingers era.

What? Nobody listens to albums on youtube here?
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    A little bit ot but I'm wondering if anyone has spotted the pictures of the Beatles in this cover.
    See my "incidentally" note above. Yes, the whole Satanic Majesties Request cover and concept -- even the title -- was a direct response to Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, that's well-known.

A little bit ot but I'm wondering if anyone has spotted the pictures of the Beatles in this cover. I think it was their way of "getting back at" the Beatles for having a Shirley Temple doll say "welcome the Rolling Stones.."on Sgt. Peppers. Imo, this is probably the most special if not the best Stones album.
    Are you suggesting that the doll (not really Shirley Temple, FWIW) was a jab at The Stones? I'm pretty sure that wasn't the case.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Are you suggesting that the doll (not really Shirley Temple, FWIW) was a jab at The Stones? I'm pretty sure that wasn't the case.
    I honestly don't know for sure. I think some people probably assumed that at one time but now I seriously doubt it. I have learned rather recently that the Stones and the Beatles did not see each other as rivals and in fact had mutual respect for each other and were friends(at least to some degree). Apparently they even spaced out their singles so they didn't get in the way of each other on the charts. So I want to take back my initial statement. I doubt they were trying to get back at them. I think the Shirley temple doll thing was more of a tribute(for lack of a better term) to a fellow English band.

[not really Shirley Temple, FWIW) ]

No of course not and I said doll in my post. But yeah that is suppose to be Shirley Temple and not just some generic six year old girl. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...arts_Club_Band Apparently she appears on the album cover three times(the doll being one of them).
    Last edited by Digital_Man; 01-25-2015 at 07:38 PM.

I honestly don't know for sure. I think some people probably assumed that at one time but now I seriously doubt it. I have learned rather recently that the Stones and the Beatles did not see each other as rivals and in fact had mutual respect for each other and were friends(at least to some degree). Apparently they even spaced out their singles so they didn't get in the way of each other on the charts. So I want to take back my initial statement. I doubt they were trying to get back at them. I think the Shirley temple doll thing was more of a tribute(for lack of a better term) to a fellow English band.
    Yes, they were all good friends. The Beatles gave The Stones their first single. In fact, on SM, John and Paul contributed backing vocals and percussion on "Sing This All Together."
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I honestly don't know for sure. I think some people probably assumed that at one time but now I seriously doubt it. I have learned rather recently that the Stones and the Beatles did not see each other as rivals
    I knew it 30 years ago, when I saw the All You Need Is Love clip in a Beatles documentary and noticed Mick amongst the chorus of people singing backup. And I also remember seeing a press clipping in a Stones book I used to have where one of The Beatles, I think either McCartney or Lennon said the two groups were actually good friends.

Nanker Phelge was a big Beatles fan, ever since "I Wanna Be Your Man."

Why oh why didn't I buy this album when it first came out?

I removed the post about the SACD cover...it matched the reissue rcarlberg posted, rather than the original one. The cover has a sort of hologram effect but the picture itself doesn't.

As for the album, it tends to be a favourite among people not usually into The 'Stones. I love some of the more tuneful tracks ('2000 Light Years....', 'The Lantern', 'She's A Rainbow) but stuff like 'See What Happens' and 'Gomper' is amongst their worst ever material IMHO. Psychedelic jams were not their forte. It would have been better if the single 'We Love You'/'Dandelion' had been on it, they fit right in sonically. Considering 1967 was a turbulent year for them, I think fans wouldn't have minded and they'd already put out one album (two if you count 'Flowers').
    Last edited by JJ88; 01-26-2015 at 02:01 AM.

Reminds me a bit of the Grateful Dead's "Anthem of the Sun"
    Very out of character for either band, and not their forte for sure.
    It's an interesting record, but I'm glad neither band continued in that direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Skullhead View Post
    Reminds me a bit of the Grateful Dead's "Anthem of the Sun"
    Very out of character for either band, and not their forte for sure.It's an interesting record, but I'm glad neither band continued in that direction.
    In the first place, I would argue that Anthem Of The Sun is a far superior record to Satanic Majesties. I think the songwriting is stronger and more focused, and I think the music is a hell of a lot more innovative. The intricate arrangements on That's It For The Other One, New Potato Caboose and Born Cross Eyed certainly presage the (ahem) "prog" era. Likewise, you could argue that long stretches of prepared piano and multilayered feedback paved the way for the "noise" music of the 80's and beyond. And the fact that they apparently drove the very "straight" producer David Hassinger nuts to the point that he just walked out of the control room one day (the breaking point apparently being Bob Weir asking him for "the sound of thick air"), there's something I find amusing about that.

The only reason Anthem Of The Sun and it's immediate successor Aoxomoxoa might seem "out of character" is because the band is largely associated with a musical style that's very different from Anthem Of The Sun. But if you know the band's music, and you're familiar with tracks like Unbroken Chain, Victim Or The Crime, or Blues For Allah, or if you've heard some of the live shows from the 68-74 era, then Anthem Of The Sun and Aoxomoxoa make more sense, as it were, in that context.

I couldn't begin to answer the OP question, but I do like this (speaking of listening to albums on YT)

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    As for the album, it tends to be a favourite among people not usually into The 'Stones.
    You beat me to it. Not coincidentally, it's the only Stones album I ever owned.

As for the album, it tends to be a favourite among people not usually into The 'Stones.
    Kinda like Kiss' Music From The Elder, a record totally unlike anything else in the respective band's career, and the one record that people enjoyed by people who usually don't like that particular band.

Considering 1967 was a turbulent year for them, I think fans wouldn't have minded and they'd already put out one album (two if you count 'Flowers').
    I wonder what fans did think at the time. Remember that episode of American Bandstand where Dick Clark showed the Strawberry Fields and Penny Lane videos, then asked the kids what they thought of them and the kids mostly didn't get it? I wonder if there weren't similar reactions to Satanic Majesties.

As for Flowers, man, that's gotta be one of the ultimate rip off records of all time. It was a US only compilation, essentially the Stones version of Yesterday...And Today, gathering together the tracks that were bumped from the US editions of Aftermath and Between The Buttons, a couple singles, and a gaggle of "previously unreleased" songs. The thing that stinks is that it opens with the exact same two songs (Let's Spend The Night Together and Ruby Tuesday) that open the US version of Between The Buttons. I wonder how many people who bought Flowers upon release thought they had gotten some sort of frelled up pressing that mixed the two albums up or whatever.

Really, the only reason to own Flowers is that it has the brilliant Ride On Baby, which I think has otherwise never been issued anywhere. It also has Have You Seen Your Mother, Baby, Standing In The Shadows, which is also a great track, but that's appeared on several subsequent compilations (I believe it's on Hot Rocks II). One of the good things about the ability to buy mp3's from places like Amazon is, you get buy just that song and not bother with the rest of Flowers.

BTW, judging from the comments on Wikipedia from Bill Wyman, Mick Jagger, and Brian Jones, I gather one of the problems with Satanic Majesties was the band basically produced themselves. I guess this was their first time working without Andrew "Loog" Oldham, who had produced all their records up to that point. According to one comment Brian Jones made, a month before the record was scheduled for release, they still didn't have any material together, and according to Wyman, on any given day you were never sure who would show up at the studio and with how many hanger ons. And with no producer to crack the whip, throw out the people who didn't to be there, and push the band forward, it turned into a big mess.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    it turned into a big mess.
    To be fair that was kinda the tenor of the times.

But yes, TSMR was a huge stretch for the Stones and not entirely successful.