Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grizzly Bear... Any love?

Grizzly Bear... Any love?

I have 2 albums by these guys and love em. I like vekatamist the best. vids are especially cool. Anyone else love Grizzly bear?

Still alive and well...

Still alive and well...

I don't own any of their albums, but I like what I have heard from them. A guy I work with went to see them last summer and raved about how good it was.

somebody here recommended them and i checked them out from the library. good stuff.

I have three of their albums. Yellow House is a bit too slow and restrained for me, but Shields and Veckatimest are both excellent.
    "The Bill of Rights says nothing about the freedom of hearing. This, of course, takes a lot of the fun out of the freedom of speech." - Pat Paulsen

My Art- http://www.facebook.com/williamallenrenfro -My Life

Quote Originally Posted by Superfly View Post
    I have three of their albums. Yellow House is a bit too slow and restrained for me, but Shields and Veckatimest are both excellent.
    Yeah I agree with the yellow house being kind of a dreary and slow one. I have both shields and veketimist.... I never spell it right.
    Still alive and well...

Suspended
    There are so many Bears in the music business today it does my head in. Grizzly bear... Panda Bear... Boy and Bear... it's all a bit much.
    Why are there no bulls?

I've tried but they don't work for me. Saw them do a song on a late night talk show and was intrigued. Bought one cd, didn't connect with it and bought another and still didn't connect with it. I do like the one short song about washing dishes.
    I remember tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    There are so many Bears in the music business today it does my head in. Grizzly bear... Panda Bear... Boy and Bear... it's all a bit much.
    Why are there no bulls?
    Minus The Bear......The Bears....... I am sure there are more.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Minus The Bear......The Bears....... I am sure there are more.
    I remember Edward Bear from the 70s.. Yes, Adrian's Bears.
    Still alive and well...

Saw them perform about 6 or 7 years ago. One of the most uninteresting shows I have attended. The entire shoe-gazer thing is horrible. Their music is ok, but when I saw them I wanted to leave after 15 minutes.

I've got Shields (CD) and Veckatimest (vinyl). Not my everyday tuneage but it is fine indie rock.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Why are there no bulls?

I'm not a fan (I'd rather listen to Local Natives), but I like Kimbra and enjoy this:

My, isnt she poppy!
    Still alive and well...

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by mnprogger View Post
    I'm not a fan (I'd rather listen to Local Natives), but I like Kimbra and enjoy this:
    ...but how is that relevant to this thread?

...but how is that relevant to this thread?
    Ctrl+F "Two Weeks."

Suspended
    Ctrl+F "Two Weeks."
    Aah.

Grizzly Bear is the shit!!! But are they Prog?
    The Prog Corner

Local Natives are really great. Both of their LP's are highly recommended (especially Gorilla Manor.)
    The Prog Corner

I absolutely love them. Some of the most truly progressive minded melodic music I've heard in the past 8 or so years. Daniel Rossen's writting/voice/sensibilities serve the genre well, IMO.
    One of his other projects, Department Of Eagles, is also an interesting listen. Decidedly darker and less electric but beautiful and somehow even more bizarre.
    Last edited by Maxschrek; 01-31-2015 at 08:42 AM.

Veckatimest is near a modern indie-rock/folk classic. There's an incredibly intense "presence" in all of their songs here, and a very deep and genuine sense of dramatic melancholy and exostential wonder about it.

They reached their high almost at the same time that Animal Collective, Dirty Projectors and Beirut did, and I find it strange to contemplate the fact that so many years have already passed. The zenith for this specific "cerebral avant-indie" thing is arguably long gone.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Veckatimest is near a modern indie-rock/folk classic. There's an incredibly intense "presence" in all of their songs here, and a very deep and genuine sense of dramatic melancholy and exostential wonder about it.

They reached their high almost at the same time that Animal Collective, Dirty Projectors and Beirut did, and I find it strange to contemplate the fact that so many years have already passed. The zenith for this specific "cerebral avant-indie" thing is arguably long gone.
    Agreed and very few will stand the test of time... But I think Veckatimest will. It has the juice to reach across many genres, pop, rock, prog, experimental, avant garde, even psychadelic fans would all be comfortable with this particular album in their collection. Dont you think?
    Still alive and well...

Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    Grizzly Bear is the shit!!! But are they Prog?
    Well they could be if everyone agreed they were....Well....not really... But who cares!
    Still alive and well...