Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Snarky Puppy

Quote Originally Posted by Haruspex Carnage View Post
    i keep trying. i find their particular brand of fusion to be really obvious for lack of a better word. it's hip bro-jazz to my ears. there's none of that mystique or atonal space most of the modern jazz ensembles i like here with SP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake View Post
    Cool to watch the live vids now and then, but a whole album? Nah.
    Diff'rent strokes and all. I think these cats are great, and a force for good in the music world.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Diff'rent strokes and all. I think these cats are great, and a force for good in the music world.
    seconded
    though I still havent bought one of their albums yet
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    seconded
    though I still havent bought one of their albums yet
    You should.

In a world where acts like Justin Bieber are what (mostly) get the spotlight, it's nice to see a group like Snarky Puppy getting some recognition from reputable sources.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    They were good in Boston last night, played the House Of Blues, place was packed, probably 1500 to 2000 there, all standing so knees going mad by end of gig, place was full of hipsters. They were a little too smooth and polished for me and typical of Fusion bands spent too much time setting up little solo's for each performer. People were really enjoying it. Good night out.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I just picked up a CD/DVD of Cory Henry's The Revival. It's him and his Hammond, alone (for most of the show) onstage in a small hall. It sounds superb, and later he's joined by James Williams on drums, who is very understated.

If you're into the Hammond sound (huge and ballsy on this recording) and Cory, this is a must-have. It's a bare-bones recording, with GoPro cams and static cams all around. Not much in the way of production value, but for fans, this is a must-see.

I've watched it, and will probably not watch it again. If you want it, I'll send it to you. I paid $3 for it, you cover that & shipping and it's yours. PM me. It would be great if we could pass this around so many people could hear it.

Here's a track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7iVpEwmuRo

https://www.amazon.com/Revival-CD-DV.../dp/B01AK5SKSS

One of the finest Hammond B-3 organ players of his generation, Cory Henry was a child prodigy, playing both piano and organ by the time he was two years old, making his debut at the legendary Apollo Theater when he was only six. He has worked in the studio and toured with countless artists, including Yolanda Adams, Stanley Brown, Israel Houghton, P. Diddy, Kirk Franklin, Kenny Garrett (the 19-year-old Henry became a fixture in Garrett's touring band for three years), Donnie McClurkin, Boyz II Men, Michael McDonald, Bruce Springsteen, the Roots, and many others. He has also worked as a bandleader and producer as well as an in-demand sideman.

Falling closer to the Art Tatum and Oscar Peterson side of the Hammond organ jazz genre than Jimmy Smith, with maybe a little Billy Preston tossed in, Henry at his best combines the best of both gospel and jazz in his playing. His albums as a bandleader include the 2010 holiday set Christmas with You, 2011's Leave You Alone, and 2012's Gotcha Now Doc.

Since 2012, Henry has been a member of the acclaimed experimental jazz and funk ensemble Snarky Puppy, with whom he won a 2014 Grammy Award for Best R&B Performance and a 2015 Grammy for Best Contemporary Instrumental Album. In 2016, Henry released the gospel-infused solo effort The Revival.
    Last edited by Finch Platte; 09-17-2017 at 06:20 PM. Reason: Covfefe

saw them last night live in Minneapolis. Fantastic!

Their 1st show ever in Minnesota strangely.

the energy is off the charts. Each member stands out in different ways. Heavy vibe with the crowd, using some chants/vox at times with a vocoder from 1 of their 3 keyboardists.

Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    I just picked up a CD/DVD of Cory Henry's The Revival. It's him and his Hammond, alone (for most of the show) onstage in a small hall. It sounds superb, and later he's joined by James Williams on drums, who is very understated.

If you're into the Hammond sound (huge and ballsy on this recording) and Cory, this is a must-have. It's a bare-bones recording, with GoPro cams and static cams all around. Not much in the way of production value, but for fans, this is a must-see.

I've watched it, and will probably not watch it again. If you want it, I'll send it to you. I paid $3 for it, you cover that & shipping and it's yours. PM me. It would be great if we could pass this around so many people could hear it.

Here's a track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7iVpEwmuRo

https://www.amazon.com/Revival-CD-DV.../dp/B01AK5SKSS

One of the finest Hammond B-3 organ players of his generation, Cory Henry was a child prodigy, playing both piano and organ by the time he was two years old, making his debut at the legendary Apollo Theater when he was only six. He has worked in the studio and toured with countless artists, including Yolanda Adams, Stanley Brown, Israel Houghton, P. Diddy, Kirk Franklin, Kenny Garrett (the 19-year-old Henry became a fixture in Garrett's touring band for three years), Donnie McClurkin, Boyz II Men, Michael McDonald, Bruce Springsteen, the Roots, and many others. He has also worked as a bandleader and producer as well as an in-demand sideman.

Falling closer to the Art Tatum and Oscar Peterson side of the Hammond organ jazz genre than Jimmy Smith, with maybe a little Billy Preston tossed in, Henry at his best combines the best of both gospel and jazz in his playing. His albums as a bandleader include the 2010 holiday set Christmas with You, 2011's Leave You Alone, and 2012's Gotcha Now Doc.

Since 2012, Henry has been a member of the acclaimed experimental jazz and funk ensemble Snarky Puppy, with whom he won a 2014 Grammy Award for Best R&B Performance and a 2015 Grammy for Best Contemporary Instrumental Album. In 2016, Henry released the gospel-infused solo effort The Revival.
    I picked it up too but was underwhelmed by it. I like the sound of the Hammond organ on the album, but would have liked it that Cory is backed up by a band to add some meat on the bones.

Personaly, if we are talking about solo efforts of Snarky puppy alumni, I prefer Bill Laurance solo albums ("Live at Union Chapel" is absolutely amazing) and also Mark Lettieri's work. "Spark and Echo" is very nice.

Here is what Michael League has been up to lately. Sounds to me like African jazz-rock + orchestra. Michael's talent is in the arrangements.
    https://bokante.bandcamp.com/album/what-heat

Bokanté: the fresh new group founded by musician and composer Michael League, of Grammy-winning instrumental jazz collective, Snarky Puppy. A super group of players from five countries and four continents, different genders, races and generations working in harmony, celebrating individuality, united in the belief that music should be a voice for the voiceless.

The Metropole Orkest: that multiple Grammy-winning hybrid ensemble, part jazz big band, part symphony orchestra, helmed by feted English conductor Jules Buckley, and based in the Netherlands. The message delivered by Bokanté and the Metropole Orkest, by these two determinedly aware and musically gifted outfits, is laced throughout new album What Heat – and it is urgent. Injustice is raging all around. Look. Notice. Wake up.
    The Culture Cafe, Sundays 6-9am on WWUH-FM
    Broadcasting from the University of Hartford, CT at 91.3FM, streaming at www.wwuh.streamrewind.com and at www.wwuh.org

Another Snarky Offshoot is "Ghost-Note"---definitely worth checking out.
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenears View Post
    Another Snarky Offshoot is "Ghost-Note"---definitely worth checking out.
    Yes, definitely. Especially live. I saw them last night in Toronto, and the grooves these guys can lay down are astounding. Mono Neon is power-up 1,000 level, on bass.

neil

Snarky Puppy almost single-handedly keeps prog alive! Go Snarky Puppy!

Quote Originally Posted by yamishogun View Post
    I wouldn't go that far... they are definitely progressive and they Rock too, but there are hundreds of genre bending artists out there keeping progressive Rock music alive bro... you need to get out more
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    I wouldn't go that far... they are definitely progressive and they Rock too, but there are hundreds of genre bending artists out there keeping progressive Rock music alive bro... you need to get out more
    Um, I certainly took his comment to be a...joke?

neil

I like their stuff but they seem a little too smooth for my tastes personally, I saw them live and didn't really connect, might have been because the room was packed with hipsters.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    they seem a little too smooth for my tastes personally,
    I have to agree. I never bought any of their stuff.

But y'know, Ian - at least you're firmly aware of this music's wide-ranging historical alibi within 50 years of progressive rock development.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Stellar musicians, flawless sound an production, groovy and entertaining, what more could we ask for ? Well... maybe some SOUL and a little bit roughness ? This immaculate perfection sometimes leads me to boredom and for now I've stopped buying their records.
    I'll go back listening to my old crappy sounding Soft Machine Third, this record still amazes me after so many years.
    And for clever intricate Big Band/Ensemble arrangements including jazz/fusion/pop (prog ?) my current preference is Monika Roscher Big Band. (I think there was a thread about her a few months ago)

Quote Originally Posted by boilk View Post
    Um, I certainly took his comment to be a...joke?

neil
    No, I've seen the light. They are prog gods!

No, I've seen the light. They are prog gods!
    But you see, unlike those True Prog Gods who are asserted by the impeccable know-how in the Wonderous Prog Mag, players like Snarky Puppy don't need to be designated such a heavenly distinguished order. They'd probably rather shun it, fearing how they might have to spend the latter days of their careers touring shopping malls and having constant threads of deep significance in their name on discussion forums of meta-relevance.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Krautman View Post
    And for clever intricate Big Band/Ensemble arrangements including jazz/fusion/pop (prog ?) my current preference is Monika Roscher Big Band. (I think there was a thread about her a few months ago)
    Me seeing this reply came at the right time (i.e. a lazy Sunday afternoon) so I spent a large chunk of my afternoon watching a concert performance by Monika Roscher Bigband ... damn, that is really superb. It gets progressively better and more interesting with every tune during the concert. Love the one in the 'alien outfit' that was both art installiation and sound controller (albeit a bit crude):

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Fearing how they might have to spend the latter days of their careers touring shopping malls.
    Maybe they can do a double bill with Tiffany.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

It's understandable how Snarky Puppy could be to smooth for some people, even though I love them myself. If nothing else, it's refreshing to me seeing so many young guys playing jazz music and trying to keep it alive and in the spotlight.

Well that's nice for you.
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Well that's nice for you.
    Hey dog, that's pretty snarky.

Ian

I find them to be decently interesting, but as was said before they're pretty slick, and I like a little dirt with my music, especially when it comes to jazz and funk. That being said, in my town they're pretty big among the university music student crowd along with that Jacob Collier, of whom I share the same opinion. That being said, they're getting a lot of the students into jazz and funk as opposed to twee piano pop or po-faced major-seventh-chord-indie, which I'm definitely okay with.
    A vie, a mort, et apres...