Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Snarky Puppy

Quote Originally Posted by HONDO View Post
    I have been listening to this band for a little while now and I found I like them. Would love to see them live. Interesting what Baribrotzer said about the revolving line up of musicians. Makes me wonder about cohesiveness and such, but I am sure that they make it work somehow. I think a lot of modern day bands/musicians have that capability and adaptability and are able to adjust. Maybe it is the evolution of music or just the younger generation's mindset and openness, IDK??
    Based on the few albums I have seen / heard from them that revolving door thing is way overstated. There is a core to this band that is always (or almost always) there. Micheal League on bass is the bandleader and major composer and has no replacement with SP, percussionist Nate Werth is also almost everytime present as is at least one the guitarists. Bill Laurance is the main keyboardplayer and unless they have other engagements also either Shaun Martin or Cory Henry is present. The one time I saw them at least 2 of the hornplayers where the ones I have seen on both dvd's. The drumstool is usually Robert "Sput" Searight but he seems to alternate with Larnell Lewis (the drummer on We Like It Here). The thing is though that when necessary they can add multiple other players to the group and work them into the fold pretty quickly.

^^^ Oh thanks Chris for letting me know this. So kind of like a Zappa situation where plenty of capable musicians are always available if need be, although Frank did not really have one set 'Core'. I don't know if that makes sense at all

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    too smooth
    That's what I thought when hearing the samples. Still enjoyable, in a way. Would do for good background music.

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenears View Post
    check out the Funky Knuckles on Snarky's label, too.....another great band.
    I love FK but SP seemed to be a bit too Horn heavy for my tastes... which is odd since I love Chicago and Mandrill and Matrix
    I'm going to hafta just take the plunge and get an album by SP. Too much good stuff being said about them to pass on.

Definitely check out Funky Knuckles though. Excellent composing there!
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

First full video from the upcoming release...
    http://www.vevo.com/watch/snarky-pup...l/US8JA1508005
    Not a note of "jazzy noodling" to be heard, for those not so inclined
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER i am amazed this band has not resonated with you. Buy "Tell Your Friends" and dont look back. They can do no wrong. And live.....nothing like it!
    David Robin
    Filmmaker/Drummer
    www.steelyjam.com
    www.davidrobinfilms.com

well, the thing is that I am not a fan of Jazz. Even though I think that when Jazz musicians incorporate Rock, the result is some of the best Prog ever made.

so, when things get too close to Jazz... they lose me

but I *will* get that album you recommend David. I'm sure I can appreciate it on some level.
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

There are many elements of rock, funk and soul as well as jazz!
    David Robin
    Filmmaker/Drummer
    www.steelyjam.com
    www.davidrobinfilms.com

Another preview video:
    https://youtu.be/jLRw-Ahq22k
    Definitely more "jazz" soloing, but a very cool, long (ca. 15 mins) track with some really nice writing for the orchestra. This is definitely shaping up to be not just "Snarky Puppy plays their hits with some incidental strings and winds." The compositions are brand new and make excellent use of the high level of skill the Metropole brings to the table.

Also, there are tour dates announced, with the month of June being entirely in north america:
    https://www.facebook.com/snarkypuppy...23966167614127
    I already snagged tix to see them in Chicago; psyched to hear them live for the first time!
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

They will play in my home town soon, together with the local symphony orchestra. Tickets are quite expensive, so I'm hesitant if I will go see them or not. I find them a bit too smooth sounding much of the time and even slightly cheesy in between. Maybe I will appreciate them live, or I might just get bored.

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Great band that could use some edge.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    Maybe a sprinkle of Seven Impale? Doesn't matter, they are making great sounds.
    The older I get, the better I was.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    I tend to agree, but I'll grab the recent one, it sounds pretty good.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

What would provide the edge? Grittier guitar?

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    What would provide the edge? Grittier guitar?
    Angrier tone? A little less smoothness? The occasionally squonky sax? A feel of a little more out of control? Fuzz bass? Distortion?
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    Have you prog-jazz heads found these guys yet? I picked up their recent album "We Like It Here" recently and I can't get enough of it. I definitely need to hear more. It seems like they like to record in a live setting, so all their albums ought to have a great amount of energy coming through.

What think you, fans? Who else have you heard like this?
    I was on this concert in Romania:

Awesome live band.

Mind blowing stuff. The video I saw floored me. Did it come with We Like It Here? I forget. Been a while.
    Kills me that they're actually popular. I mean popularity has been inversely proportionate to talent for some time now!
    Can't wait to catch them live sometime.
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Angrier tone? A little less smoothness? The occasionally squonky sax? A feel of a little more out of control? Fuzz bass? Distortion?
    Might alienate people who like their current sound.

In other words, people like me.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Might alienate people who like their current sound.

In other words, people like me.
    I'm not complaining, I like their sound a lot, it's just a personal taste thing
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Giant View Post
    Kills me that they're actually popular.
    They are kind of slick and smooth enough (and maybe hip) to be liked by people with a fairly mainstream musical taste, I guess. Too much so for my taste. Like Nosey said, they could need some (or quite a lot) more edge.

Quote Originally Posted by aplodon View Post
    They are kind of slick and smooth enough (and maybe hip) to be liked by people with a fairly mainstream musical taste, I guess. Too much so for my taste. Like Nosey said, they could need some (or quite a lot) more edge.
    Yep. I like mainstream stuff too, and I'm not ashamed of that. Personally, I wouldn't want to see them introduce some "edge" into their music just for the sake of having edge, as then it wouldn't be natural -- and it wouldn't sound like Snarky Puppy anymore.

To me.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    I'm not complaining, I like their sound a lot, it's just a personal taste thing
    I get what you're saying.

It seems to me that they don't need to change anything. To be able to play what you want to play without compromise and be successful, is what most musicians dream of...
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature