Thread: Song ID

Song ID

Can anyone ID this song? This is an mp3 "copy" from an old reel-to-reel recording, & the mp3 tag indicates 1975, but I'm not sure that's accurate. It's not my tape, & I'm trying to ID this song for a friend who got the song from another friend..... sigh....
    It sounds familiar, but I can't quite put my finger on it. I appreciate any help! Thanks!
    I hope I did the "link" correctly. Let me know if I didn't.

http://www11.zippyshare.com/v/0MgpIxOR/file.html
    Ignorance and prejudice
    And fear walk hand in hand...

Suspended
    I did a brief unsuccessful search for portions I could make out from the lyrics. Sounds like a very generic "hair metal" ballad.

That vocalist sure sounds familiar, but I can't place who it is. Does not sound hair metal to me at all.

I'm gonna guess that it's called:

Through The Night

I'm Gonna Love Ya

I'm Gonna Love Ya Through The Night

Through The Night (I'm Gonna Lova Ya)
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

I believe this is it:

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    I'm gonna guess that it's called:

Through The Night

I'm Gonna Love Ya

I'm Gonna Love Ya Through The Night

Through The Night (I'm Gonna Lova Ya)
    Now why would you think that?

Those phrases are not exactly novel in the world of popular music, and are probably the reason why the answer was buried down at around No. 15,573 in the list of results returned by the search engine. I never heard of this Leslie West person until I joined this site, but he seems to get mentioned a lot, so I gather he's well known - possibly even someone whose voice I have heard many times without knowing the name.

-------------------------
    Edit: having now read the Wikipedia entry on him, I discover that he plays on at least one album that I own.
    Last edited by bob_32_116; 01-23-2015 at 12:41 PM.

[QUOTE=davis;362534]I believe this is it:

Outstanding!! Thanks much for taking the time to listen & solve the mystery! I Googled every lyric combination, too, & never saw Leslie West in any of the returns. I knew it was from the 70s, but that didn't help much. Thanks again, davis! Much Obliged!
    Ignorance and prejudice

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    I never heard of this Leslie West person until I joined this site

Wow, yup that is it. I remember that album from way back.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    Now why would you think that?

Those phrases are not exactly novel in the world of popular music, and are probably the reason why the answer was buried down at around No. 15,573 in the list of results returned by the search engine. I never heard of this Leslie West person until I joined this site, but he seems to get mentioned a lot, so I gather he's well known - possibly even someone whose voice I have heard many times without knowing the name.

-------------------------
    Edit: having now read the Wikipedia entry on him, I discover that he plays on at least one album that I own.
    Leslie West was the leader of Mountain. I think everyone has at least heard their song “Mississippi Queen” which was a huge hit. They had a pretty good run for a while. West is still active, although he had to have both of his legs amputated due to complications from diabetes. He still tours though, and I think put out a new solo album last year.

I'm over 50 yrs. in age, so I am very familiar with "Mountain," but not so much Leslie West's solo work. I guess I now have a new avenue to explore! I'm thinking I hear a mellotron in this tune. It's not listed in the credits, but it sure sounds like it.
    Ignorance and prejudice

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Leslie West was the leader of Mountain. I think everyone has at least heard their song “Mississippi Queen” which was a huge hit. They had a pretty good run for a while.
    Ah, that explains it. Mountain are one of many bands whose name I have seen many many times but never to my knowledge heard their stuff. I guess they just never got picked up on in this country.I may have heard Mississippi Queen without knowing who sang it.

There is a program on local community radio called "Woodstock rock". As you might guess it's mostly music from the late 1960s/early 1970s, and mostly American. Sometimes the DJ will say "That was band XXXX, featuring so-and-so, remember him?" and his sidekick will say "Oh yes, he was with ___ when they did that classic album ____, that was before they split and so-and-so went on to form ___ with ___ and ___". and they reel off a string of names of performers, bands and albums, none of which I have ever heard of before in my life.

[QUOTE=MmusicM;362710]
    Quote Originally Posted by davis View Post
    I believe this is it:

Outstanding!! Thanks much for taking the time to listen & solve the mystery! I Googled every lyric combination, too, & never saw Leslie West in any of the returns. I knew it was from the 70s, but that didn't help much. Thanks again, davis! Much Obliged!
    you're quite welcome. there's no such thing as knowing too much trivia

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Leslie West is still active, although he had to have both of his legs amputated due to complications from diabetes. He still tours though, and I think put out a new solo album last year.
    He had his lower right leg amputated, not both legs.