Thread: Help to id a 70's rock movie

Help to id a 70's rock movie

Some sort of rock and roll club haunted by a weird magical guy who can appear out of thin air. During s big concert at the end of the movie he drugs people and makes crazy magic happen. The magical guy I remember was a black man in sort of 70s funk clothes.

There's a short throw away shot of people checking in guns and things at s front door.

That's all I got. Any ideas? Oh, & it's NOT Phantom of the Paradise with Paul Williams.

I don't know what it is but if it stars Rudy Ray Moore I am f*ing THERE. Or Isaac Hayes.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    I don't know what it is but if it stars Rudy Ray Moore I am f*ing THERE. Or Isaac Hayes.

Huggy Bear goes to Washington?
    Still alive and well...

That actually sounds familiar to me, but I am not placing a title in my brain. I think I saw it once though.

Rudy Ray Moore it is

Any of these look like a possibility?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blaxplo...oitation_films

Yup, that looks like a classic alright

As long as we're talking obscure/ forgotten movies- let me use the opp' to plug my Facebook group devoted to those from the 1970's.
    If you're on FB & you feel so inclined, feel free to join- "That Obscure 70's Movie!"

Carry on

Alabama’s Ghost?

Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    Alabama’s Ghost?

That's the movie I immediately thought of. Very off-the-wall, surreal flick from the auteur who gave us Godmonster of Indian Flats.

First learned of AG from the excellent book Nightmare USA.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    Rudy Ray Moore it is

Man, those are some loud kicks and punches! So... is that the sequel to "Dolemite?" I haven't even seen the original.

It is- Rudy and his kung-fu girl fighting squad *lol* Don't make him bring his pimpin' hand up.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Are you thinking of Get Crazy, which I think is actually early 80s? Stars Judge Reinhold, who works for a producer throwing a last blast for a venue like Winterland that's closing? There's a mysterious phantom drug dealer that appears a few times to the sound of Belew's Big Electric Cat. He's not black, they never show his face, but he's dressed like a pimp. And I think a black Blues band has to turn in their weapons at one point? Lou Reed plays a character like Dylan but he's named Auden.

They showed this on HBO a lot back in the day.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Are you thinking of Get Crazy, which I think is actually early 80s? Stars Judge Reinhold, who works for a producer throwing a last blast for a venue like Winterland that's closing? There's a mysterious phantom drug dealer that appears a few times to the sound of Belew's Big Electric Cat. He's not black, they never show his face, but he's dressed like a pimp. And I think a black Blues band has to turn in their weapons at one point? Lou Reed plays a character like Dylan but he's named Auden.

They showed this on HBO a lot back in the day.
    Electric Larry! Hs face is covered in black. Yeah, that's a thought. I f*kin love that movie. Lee Ving, Lou Reed and Howard Kaylan in the same film? Amazing. "It's a death bed request.... a death bed request... Max, you have brought us closer to art as we know it. I'm coming over."

Did I win?

No Judge Reinhold but definitely an early 80's classic... http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0085551/...f_=ttpl_pl_syn - particularly when Reggie Wanker (Malcolm McDowell) gets a motivational/inspirational pep talk from his wanker...
    -=Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?=-

Right, it was Daniel Stern.

Quote Originally Posted by Rickenbacker View Post

There's a short throw away shot of people checking in guns and things at s front door.
    That's Get Crazy. I can't believe I didn't think of it first.

Judge Reinholt, Daniel Stern - same difference.