Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Egg

Egg

I know next to nothing about this band, but I own The Polite Force, which I dig out now and then and enjoy tremendously. Any other fans out here? I love Dave Stewart's distorted organ.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    They are very raw & very excellent. Really complex stuff.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    They are very raw & very excellent. Really complex stuff.
    What he said. All their releases have merit:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egg_%28band%29

Their first two records are awesome....Th Civil Surface which is praised here is just noise to me...Fisrt post on the new website...Do i Get a Guinness

I love the first two records, with The Polite Force being the best one. I really like Dave Stewart's style of playing. The Civil Surface is all right, but not essential for me.

Progstreaming-webmaster Sunhillow's Avatar
    I like all three. Actually, I think they're masterpieces, all three of them. A lot of people think "The Civil Surface" is unessential, but they forget the fact that if this was their sole release, it would have been heralded as a classic, in Canterbury and beyond. I couldn't say which I like most.

for many years, one of my favorite bands ever.

What Sunhillow said, all three are worthy. Actually, when I first got them, the debut was my favourite, but it’s faded in my esteem; it seems “immature” compared to the others. The Polite Force is my fave these days, it’s definitely their most “difficult” album but very much worth the listener’s effort. The Civil Surface definitely has a slicker, more “produced” sound but I think that actually suits them. I would definitely not want to be without “Enneagram.”

-------------
    MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

"That's my purse! I don't know you!" --Bobby Hill

N.P.:“Welcome”-Streetmark/Dry

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    I love Dave Stewart's distorted organ.
    I'll take your word for it.

If you like TPF then S/T and ACS are essential, as is Metronomical Society if you can find it. Beyond that there are dozens of cool examples of Stewart's crooked organwork, just ask if you're not familiar.

I was first turned on to Dave Stewart through Bruford's One of a Kind lp. Loved his sound and wanted more but it wasn't until 2 decades later that I discovered Egg and Hatfields. Polite Force is my favorite.

Quote Originally Posted by progman1975 View Post
    The Civil Surface which is praised here is just noise to me...
    It *does* have the advantage/disadvantage (depending on your viewpoint) of Mont Campbell's French horn quartets. It took me a while to warm to them, but now they're an essential part of the album for me, and I couldn't imagine TCS without them.

They led me into Mont's solo albums eventually, which was a whole 'nother journey of discovery!

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post

If you like TPF then S/T and ACS are essential, as is Metronomical Society if you can find it. Beyond that there are dozens of cool examples of Stewart's crooked organwork, just ask if you're not familiar.
    The metronomical society is an excellent release
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Essential listen, all three! I find The Polite Force album slightly better than their debut. Having said that, I cannot help myself by not referring to "Symphony No. 2" (from the debut) as the most overplayed EGG track on my turntable.

I've got The Civil Surface in the early 90s, more than 10 years after owning the first two and it didn't instantly impress me. There was something with the loud mixing of the drums that I considered somewhat unsuitable to their style. However, consecutive listens unravelled its qualities to my ears and now it ranks equally intricate and stimulating. And I like the way Mont Campbell matured as a musician, with all that french horn experimentism.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

One of fave early prog bands.Actually,every band that involves Dave Stewart is fave(Arzachel,Khan,Hatfields,National Health,Bruford,Am I missing any?)!!!

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    And I like the way Mont Campbell matured as a musician, with all that french horn experimentism.
    He has two excellent solo albums that are very different, World Music, using lots of ethnic instruments, very zen very mellow, love them
    Ian

Excellent stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by ljubaspriest View Post
    One of fave early prog bands.Actually,every band that involves Dave Stewart is fave(Arzachel,Khan,Hatfields,National Health,Bruford,Am I missing any?)!!!
    Considering how young these musicians were at the time of the Egg band, it's truly a mind blower!

Quote Originally Posted by ljubaspriest View Post
    He is on Robert Wyatt's live album.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Still have not heard this band, I've been meaning to check out there music for ages.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by progman1975 View Post
    Their first two records are awesome....Th Civil Surface which is praised here is just noise to me...Fisrt post on the new website...Do i Get a Guinness
    Didn't you read the site by-laws? New guy buys everybody a round.

I love me Egg!
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Didn't you read the site by-laws? New guy buys everybody a round.
    That's why I mad sure I was in for Beta testing
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post

the metronomical society is very easy to find. I just received mine last week and it's phenomenal. Unreleased and live tracks minus audience noise. get it new here: www.burningshed.com

i have the first two and they are both eggcellent.