Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Egg

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    considering the recording date of the debut, this was some *extremely* advanced stuff!
    All the more so if you consider the two leading members of the band were then both 18 years old...

Quote Originally Posted by calyx View Post
    All the more so if you consider the two leading members of the band were then both 18 years old...
    quite honestly... I prefer it to ITCOCK, Bitches Brew, Soft Machine and Tony Williams Emergency which were all the most Progressive (with a capital P) Rock (combined with other things) recordings through the year 1970
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Are there any legitimate sites for downloading Egg albums? The usual places don’t seem to carry them…

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I heartily recommend this little book about Egg, Copious Notes:

https://www.burningshed.com/store/bo...oduct/365/717/

It's very funny and interesting - it's one of the music-related books I reread fairly often, like Julian Cope's Krautrocksampler. It's written by the band members and edited by Dave Stewart, or something like that. I've been predicting for a long time that when it's OOP there will be some disappointed people.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I heartily recommend this little book about Egg, Copious Notes:

It's very funny and interesting - it's one of the music-related books I reread fairly often
    If it's anywhere near the level of fun and sheer lingual brilliance of Deke Leonard's book on Man (the legendary Walisian band), then I'd definitely like to have a go at this.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Egg

Definitely a good read - it supplements the sleeve notes in the two archive CDs released by the band.

www.burningshed.com/store/eggarchive/

First 2 are cool. The bonus tracks on the first are quality also. Civil surface is strong on Side 1. Side 2 seems unfinished really

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    If it's anywhere near the level of fun and sheer lingual brilliance of Deke Leonard's book on Man (the legendary Walisian band), then I'd definitely like to have a go at this.
    Not sure I'd say brilliant, but it has a lot of fun and interesting stories and observations about the band's trials and travails playing gigs around England back in the day. And it *is* well written and literate, but more fun than brilliant. If, like me, you're interested in what the life of working musicians was like back then in the UK, a good read.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Progulike View Post
    Definitely a good read - it supplements the sleeve notes in the two archive CDs released by the band.
    Are they counting the Arzachel release as one of the Egg archival CDs, or am I missing something?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Are they counting the Arzachel release as one of the Egg archival CDs, or am I missing something?
    You're not missing anything. The two archival CDs are Arzachel Collectors Edition by Uriel (the three Egg guys with guitarist Steve Hillage) and The Metronomical Society by Egg.

Quote Originally Posted by Progulike View Post
    You're not missing anything. The two archival CDs are Arzachel Collectors Edition by Uriel (the three Egg guys with guitarist Steve Hillage) and The Metronomical Society by Egg.
    Just did a search for this release because of the Wikipedia article.. I can only find the original Arzachel release w/out the bonus tracks... pricey at that.. do you know of any other places that might list this release in the USA?

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by happytheman View Post
    Just did a search for this release because of the Wikipedia article.. I can only find the original Arzachel release w/out the bonus tracks... pricey at that.. do you know of any other places that might list this release in the USA?
    Hit JKL2000's link, choose USA in the right sidebar, buy ($17.55 USD).

Quote Originally Posted by Yanks2009 View Post
    Still have not heard this band, I've been meaning to check out there music for ages.

Me neither although I have heard bits and pieces here and there. Usually they are recommended to not only Canterbury fans but to those who like ELP, The Nice, Le Orme or Atomic Rooster.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Hit JKL2000's link, choose USA in the right sidebar, buy ($17.55 USD).
    I went there shortly after posting my question.. did not however realize there was a USA option.. I will revisit.. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    Me neither although I have heard bits and pieces here and there. Usually they are recommended to not only Canterbury fans but to those who like ELP, The Nice, Le Orme or Atomic Rooster.

Start with The Polite Force - one of the most amazing displays of actually *composed* "keyboard rock" ever made.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Arzachel Collectors Edition

Quote Originally Posted by happytheman View Post
    Most Arzachel CDs are bootlegs. The only official band release is the Arzachel Collectors Edition CD, available worldwide at www.burningshed.com/store/eggarchive/. US buyers should select the 'USA' option. If you buy this version, the musicians *actually get paid* (gasp). Burning Shed (the distributor) is very reliable and has a great reputaion for ethical trading.

The album (recorded when the members were very young) is psychedelic rather than prog, but it shows where Egg evolved from. The sleeve notes of this album, The Metronomical Society CD by Egg and the Copious Notes booklet, written by the band and their friends, explains the group's history in detail with some great period photos.

I heard the Civil Surface first and it just floored me. So awesome. That was a bitch to find on cd back in the mid 90s too. Was that the Virgin label?

I bought a sweet copy of The Polite Force on vinyl and holy smokes... think about this - could you imagine trying to actually compose something that sounds like that? What a forward thinking and progressive album for the time. Heavy duty and thick! Metronomical Society is great and I got the signed copy. Love the little book they turned out on that period from Burning Shed too. Almost as funny as the book that came with National Health Complete - Dave is hilarious.

Weren't there members of this band also in the band Chicken? Which came first?
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Quote Originally Posted by Phlakaton View Post
    I heard the Civil Surface first and it just floored me. So awesome. That was a bitch to find on cd back in the mid 90s too. Was that the Virgin label?

I bought a sweet copy of The Polite Force on vinyl and holy smokes... think about this - could you imagine trying to actually compose something that sounds like that? What a forward thinking and progressive album for the time. Heavy duty and thick! Metronomical Society is great and I got the signed copy. Love the little book they turned out on that period from Burning Shed too. Almost as funny as the book that came with National Health Complete - Dave is hilarious.
    I believe Civil Surface was a Caroline Blue Plate release. I really need Metronomical Society to complete my Egg collection. Probably the liner notes alone, if Dave’s on National Health Complete (now a somewhat ironic title, as this pre-dated both Missing Pieces and Play Time) are anything to go by, will make this worth the price of admission.

Lastly, people keep telling me the title to The Polite Force is a “pun.” Clearly I’m dense, but even after twenty-ish years of owning this album, I still don’t get it.

-------------
    MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

"'Thin Thighs For Your Man.' But I don't *like* men with thin thighs" --Daria

N.P.:“Ice Cream Phoenix”-Jefferson Airplane/Crown of Creation

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post

Lastly, people keep telling me the title to The Polite Force is a “pun.” Clearly I’m dense, but even after twenty-ish years of owning this album, I still don’t get it.
    its a play on Police Force.

[QUOTE=Progbear;132148]

-------------

Try changing the t for a c. The Police Force, the Civil Service, the National Health Service, all very English institutions but probably meaningless in the US. National Health is not a pun but there used to be a style of glasses that you got if you couldn't afford private frames -there was just one style of round wire framed glasses that became known as 'National Health specs'. Dave Stewart used to wear them (the type on the first National Health LP).

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Start with The Polite Force - one of the most amazing displays of actually *composed* "keyboard rock" ever made.
    It’s probably their most “difficult” album (the debut is a far easier listen) but, in the end, I find it to be their most rewarding. It’s some extremely sophisticated (rhythmically, melodically and harmonically, a rather rare combination altogether) composition. “Long Piece No. 3” is definitely rough going the first few times through, but now that it’s had plenty of chances to sink in, it’s one of my most beloved extended prog tracks.

-------------
    MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

"'Thin Thighs For Your Man.' But I don't *like* men with thin thighs" --Daria

N.P.:“Fall of the Leaf”-Gryphon/Treason

Banned
    Heard this song on Progression where I used to have a Sirius subscription. It floored me, but I have not gotten an Egg CD yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    Weren't there members of this band also in the band Chicken? Which came first?
    HA!

Kim
    And the code is a play, a play is a song, a song is a film, a film is a dance...

Quote Originally Posted by ljubaspriest View Post
    Actually,every band that involves Dave Stewart is fave(Arzachel,Khan,Hatfields,National Health,Bruford,Am I missing any?)!!!
    Yep, you are. There's a funny little recording called "Neil's Heavy Concept Record" which has Dave Stewart (and Barbara Gaskin!) all over it, not only playing organ but also synths, bass and guitar(!) Hilarious liner notes, some REALLY good covers, & lots of happy Eggish moments. Well worth searching out.