Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: PoiL - Dins o Cuol

PoiL - Dins o Cuol

Friends of Albert Marceour, KoenjiHyakkei, UZ, Aksak Maboul, should feel at home here !

http://poil.bandcamp.com/

http://www.myspace.com/poil.poil

Does that keyboard player listen to Kerry Minnear much? Great stuff btw!!!!

best
    Michael
    If it ain't acousmatique-It's crap

Eccentric eclecticism on a high level.

I believe they must have listened to everything complex they could get their ears into.
    Stains of Zappa, Etron Fou, Zamla, and in the 'title track', middle section, there is clear references to Magma - almost quoting.

Apparently they have only made these 4 crazy tracks (2011), I really hope they will have succes and continue, this was a real find for me.

Banned
    I just came upon your video you posted on the other thread and yes indeed, first thing that came to my head was Aksak Maboule and Von Zamla (also Honeymoon Killers).

Lotta sheer talent here, but, seriously, they have to cut out all that gibberish-banter - too repetative, dumbs it down a lot.

If it wasnt for that ,I'd certainly buy this cd.

Its musical Dadaism.
    Think of Jacques Tatis character Monsieur Hulot
    They are really ecclectic.
    On the titletrack that starts Albert Marceour'ish and ends insane, at 5.50 there is suddenly a piano quoting magma.
    I hope they will develop longer, perhaps more jazzy, perhaps more 'epic' structures in the future, but I sure enjoy this crazyness.
    They probably haven't found their style yet.
    They made an earlier album in 2008 - quite different, this tune sounds more like Bruford / Moraz: http://poil.bandcamp.com/track/ondine-ravel-arr-g-meier

Me likey

Yeah this is really good stuff. I got turned onto them a few months ago. However, make sure you understand the english translations of these french song titles before you put links up on your facebook page...

- Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Lebofsky View Post
    Yeah this is really good stuff. I got turned onto them a few months ago. However, make sure you understand the english translations of these french song titles before you put links up on your facebook page...

- Matt
    They contacted me a few days ago - sadly missing the last Other Rock Show of the year (just as well, I would have just filled the whole hour with them)
    Thank you, Matt (and Google Translate), for that very essential bit of information!

I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Eccentric eclecticism on a high level.

I believe they must have listened to everything complex they could get their ears into.
    Stains of Zappa, Etron Fou, Zamla, and in the 'title track', middle section, there is clear references to Magma - almost quoting.

Apparently they have only made these 4 crazy tracks (2011), I really hope they will have success and continue, this was a real find for me.
    I agree and love this record. I'd add Debile Methol to that list. After hearing this I went back and downloaded their earlier release which is quite different -still good but quite low key by comparison -it reminded me very much of Reportaz. Although it's usually the vocals that make or break it for me, in this case I rather like them, whereas with Etron Fou it put me off them even though I liked them musically. But I couldn't say why, its just personal taste.

chalkpie
    Just heard these lunatics on Ian's radio show for the first time - HOLY SCHNITT! I'm IN LOVE! That drummer is SICK. They're all sick, but man that drummer! This music is so much fun, so musical, so unpretentious, so whimsical, so virtuosic, so un-wankerish, etc etc

I just bought the "Dins O Cuol" download at their Bandcamp site, but every time I try to follow the link to the new disc order page, the link seems broken (or missing?). Any clues?

I watched this last night on my HD TV with a nice buzz on and had my shit cracked wide open. Instant love.

chalkpie
    Poil Bitches.

Love these guys!

Here's the new album on Bandcamp. Buy it.

http://poil.bandcamp.com/

http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...t-spc-042.aspx

(thanks for listening, Frankie)

chalkpie
    Brother Ian - the show was killer man! Loved it and was grinning the whole time. The discussions and passion between you and Mikey was beautiful mate. You got me hooked on PoiL too! And that Ut Gret band. I missed the actual show but I streamed it last night.

Here is the link to buy the disc from these guys, but the link sucks:

Available on CD & VINYL (please go to bandcamp.com/profile)

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I'm ordering the new one from wayside
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    I'm ordering the new one from wayside
    I was going to try and buy directly from the band, but yeah maybe a Wayside order is in....order.

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by Jymbot View Post
    I just came upon your video you posted on the other thread and yes indeed, first thing that came to my head was Aksak Maboule and Von Zamla (also Honeymoon Killers).

Lotta sheer talent here, but, seriously, they have to cut out all that gibberish-banter - too repetative, dumbs it down a lot.

If it wasnt for that ,I'd certainly buy this cd.
    Not to these ears man. All that "gibberish-banter" is like icing for me. There is too much normal music in the world as it stands.

I love the vocals!

Well done, but it gave me a migraine.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Absolutely awesome band.

Brossaklitt is really the clit shit, so derangely dense that it actually stirs up my laser. The only other stuff to do that are Zs, The Flying Luttenbachers, Normal Love and a track from Yugen's Iridule.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

chalkpie
    Holy fucking shit!!! Who saw this live? Udi? That second tune is just unbelievable - tightest playing I think I've ever seen - or up there at least. The drummer is so unique and just kills it in every aspect. I love how he integrates the cowbell - such a great percussive texture and it really kicks through sonically. Bass player is also pretty ridiculous - he's like Scott Thunes up there - just owning every groove and intricate composed trickery. Key player cracks me up, and he is a total virtuoso to boot. This cat could probably play any 'legit' impossible classical stuff like Ives Concord Sonata, Ligeti Etudes, Nancarrow, you name it. Love that fuckin' cheesey wrestling jumpsuit or whatever. Ha! These guys don't give a FLYING FUCK what people think of them - both musically and visually - and I love the bizarre theatrical approach. Do these guys have a pro shot DVD yet?

So excited over this band!

Can you believe I skipped most of their performance at RIO last year? Doh!
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Can you believe I skipped most of their performance at RIO last year? Doh!
    WHAT!!?? REALLY??

Yup, I watched about 10 minutes but was dead tired and hungry so went to eat, Michel put on 14 bands that year and it was all a bit rushed between bands.
    Ian

chalkpie